Wrangler Engine Defect: Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Jeep & FCA

Hammmerhead

Every time I shut my '15 off I have the coolant smell as well. No leaks that I can find, but the smell is there. All my heat works fine, but I just have 18Kmiles. Should we be flushing our cooling systems to avoid any of this?

MacRubi2

Every time I shut my '15 off I have the coolant smell as well. No leaks that I can find, but the smell is there. All my heat works fine, but I just have 18Kmiles. Should we be flushing our cooling systems to avoid any of this?

IMO if your smelling coolant there most likely is a small leak somewhere most likely the radiator.

My 2014 and two other friends with 14s have had the smell every time it was shut off. Never a drop on the garage floor.

Drove me a bit nuts for a while looking for the source but did finally find a very small leak about 4" down from the top of the drivers side radiator.

Dealer changed it out for a new one on my jeep and also one of my friends. Other just had his in and the dealer pressure tested it and said it's fine.... not.
His smells the worst of the three lol.

Anyway I have plenty of heating/cooling so as of right now lifes good

Last edited:

sparks

IMO if your smelling coolant there most likely is a small leak somewhere most likely the radiator.

My 2014 and two other friends with 14s have had the smell every time it was shut off. Never a drop on the garage floor.

Drove me a bit nuts for a while looking for the source but did finally find a very small leak about 4" down from the top of the drivers side radiator.

Dealer changed it out for a new one on my jeep and also one of my friends. Other just had his in and the dealer pressure tested it and said it's fine.... not.
His smells the worst of the three lol.

Anyway I have plenty of heating/cooling so as of right now lifes good

My 2014 had a radiator leak in the same area. Hard to see. Dealer denied it about 5 times until I finally ripped the shroud off in the service bay on a busy Saturday morning and caused a scene until the manager finally saw the crusty purple shit. Radiator and Tstat housing replaced ... then began more issues caused by shoddy craftsmanship.... so now I'm in a 2017 and I have no issues (yet)

MacRubi2

My 2014 had a radiator leak in the same area. Hard to see. Dealer denied it about 5 times until I finally ripped the shroud off in the service bay on a busy Saturday morning and caused a scene until the manager finally saw the crusty purple shit. Radiator and Tstat housing replaced ... then began more issues caused by shoddy craftsmanship.... so now I'm in a 2017 and I have no issues (yet)

That's exactly what I did... found the leak and left the top plastic cover off and physically showed the leak to the service writer. Left no question that it was leaking.

mo0s3

I would for sure take it in and get it fixed before you get nailed with a $800 bill

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mastrcruse

Agreed on taking it into the dealership. Mine wasn't leaking enough to find spots on the ground but it always smelled like coolant.

I've had 2 radiators replaced within 40k records. 1 has been replaced under warranty and 1 wouldn't have been but I had the extended warranty. The dealerships shop manager told me to get an aftermarket radiator and said he gets a leaking radiator at least every week for the JK's. He said the issue is how the plastic and aluminum are put together which splits and is made worse by offroad or any "rough" activities.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Everyone talks about class action lawsuits. When do you or ever hear that the individuals whom been effected actually received enough compensation in an appropriate time frame? The lawyers will keep on bargaining until you left with nothing. By that time it would be 2131 and...

I've been on receiving end of 3 class action suits over the years. Big Company ends up agreeing to, being fined, or otherwise having to pay Some Big Number. By the time everything's done, I get a check for $4.18. I've long since stopped completing the initial forms. They're not worth my time to fill out. This, could be a slightly different case. $50 check for a $2,500 repair.
:)(

Lloydsmale

Isnt allways that way. Back in 87 we bought a new mobile home for a hunting camp. We had it for 3 years when I found out there was a class action suit because the type of plastic pipe they used to plumb them was no good. I signed my name on it and within 6 months they sent a plumber to replace all the piping and I also received 2k for my trouble. Not one bit of muss fuss or hastle.
Everyone talks about class action lawsuits. When do you or ever hear that the individuals whom been effected actually received enough compensation in an appropriate time frame? The lawyers will keep on bargaining until you left with nothing. By that time it would be 2131 and you will not even care what happened to you such a long time ago. If every jk had this problem then that is an issue but the odds are against. Usually it can be drilled down to an individual mechanic accidentally missing something. Don't get me wrong I would be p.o. too. Focus on fixing the problem instead of doing a witch hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom