Write Up: Backup Camera Installation

gunn_10

Thanks for the write-up. I finally got around do getting it done. My dealer charged $50 for the flash so I got out cheaper.

I found that I needed a a female/female adaptor. I did purchase the camera and harness you linked to but I ended up with 2 male sides at the radio. This may be due to the kits changing. Also the camera came with a 20ft RCA cable so I did not need the additional one you posted.

View attachment 172754

View attachment 172755 [/QUOTE

I just picked up a 2016 sahara and I want to do this to it but does all the hardware he included work with the newer jeeps.. cuz it says something bout just 2012.

uberc4

Nice write up! Looking to do this myself, but need to come up with a different method since I opted out of the 430N to save on initial cost of the vehicle.

mds22

I just picked up a 2016 sahara and I want to do this to it but does all the hardware he included work with the newer jeeps.. cuz it says something bout just 2012.

Yes it works. I just did it on my '15.
Flush mount camera was $6.00 on Amazon.
Dealer charged me $56 to flash

vjusmc

I did pretty much the same setup except a different camera. I use it every time I back up along with my mirrors. It makes parking in tight spaces easy. I paid $56 (1/2 hour of labor) for the dealer flash. Good job on the write up.

Jeepers46

[*] For starters, I would personally recommend a trip to the dealer before connecting your camera. This will allow you to ensure everything works before you put all of your dash and interior panels back together.

Well I just got back from the local dealer to have the "xac" code flashed to the cpu and after sitting in the waiting area for 20 mins the tech comes out and tells me I have to have the camera installed before he flashes the cpu because it wont work otherwise. I told him that I knew of several people that had this done before camera installation and he acted surprised. He then tells me that "the 2008 Wrangler didnt come with the backup camera option". I again explained to him that he could install the code and it would open that option up on the radio (730N). When I mentioned, again, the XAC code he acted like he didnt have a clue as to what I was talkin about and that it wasnt an option on the 08's. He told me if I could bring him a print out? of where this was doable then he would take a look at it then. I guess its time to contact a different dealer....

james2003w

I've almost backed over two people in parking lots now. (Not my fault their face was in their phone!) Does anyone know for sure, without a doubt or a guess, if the "XAC" flash will work on a MANUAL transmission? I see most of you are running automatics. I've been looking for awhile now and can't seem to get a definite answer. Thank you all! [emoji106]

Don't know if you got your answer, I have a '15 Unlimited Manual, 430N, and this mod performed. Works just fine!

JeepJeep75

I just ordered the NavTool for Jeep. 1/2 price sale the rest of December. Going this route does not require the XAC code flash. It's looking to me like I saved $200 worth of frustration not having to deal with the dealership. [emoji6]

JeepJeep75

Don't know if you got your answer, I have a '15 Unlimited Manual, 430N, and this mod performed. Works just fine!

Thank you for a definitive answer James. If for some reason the NavTool doesn't work, I will go educate my local dealer about the XAC flash. Thanks again! [emoji106][emoji112]

mds22

I just ordered the NavTool for Jeep. 1/2 price sale the rest of December. Going this route does not require the XAC code flash. It's looking to me like I saved $200 worth of frustration not having to deal with the dealership. [emoji6]

What are you talking about?? $200??? Nice sales pitch, but My dealership charged me $56 and took less than 10 mins.

james2003w

Thank you for a definitive answer James. If for some reason the NavTool doesn't work, I will go educate my local dealer about the XAC flash. Thanks again! [emoji106][emoji112]

You're very much welcomed!
Just a quick comment: I was having issues with my audio/nav controls prior to them flashing it for the XAC. When I took it in as the issues were coming up again, they told me it wasn't covered under warranty due to them flashing it for my camera. However my service records proved otherwise and now they have to replace it under my warranty as much as they gave the attitude that they didn't want to because I had them "modify it".

Could also argue with them that the MyGig system is used in multiple vehicles of theirs with factory cameras and it should be 100% supported regardless of the vehicle it is installed in as the feature is a supported feature of the device.

Again just a quick comment for those of you with warranties.

back up camera

You're very much welcomed!
Just a quick comment: I was having issues with my audio/nav controls prior to them flashing it for the XAC. When I took it in as the issues were coming up again, they told me it wasn't covered under warranty due to them flashing it for my camera. However my service records proved otherwise and now they have to replace it under my warranty as much as they gave the attitude that they didn't want to because I had them "modify it".

Could also argue with them that the MyGig system is used in multiple vehicles of theirs with factory cameras and it should be 100% supported regardless of the vehicle it is installed in as the feature is a supported feature of the device.

Again just a quick comment for those of you with warranties.

What's the best wide angle 170 degrees+ to use with a mygig - my Esky seems to fail as the mygig keeps it on whenever the ignition is on

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I wonder if it will work with the XAC code on the MYgig without lockpick
Any camera will work without lockpick after having the dealer do the starscan to add the backup camera sales code. Just need the harness to plug it into the back of the head unit.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
While we're on this subject, I highly do NOT recommend any cameras from Esky - I'm 0-fer on good ones from Amazon. Every single one has been DOA, so switched to Pyle and so far the quality is so-so but at least it works.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Top Bottom