Yea.. I F’d up.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Well..... Jeep is still broke down. I did replace the timing chains, tensioners, and guides. Really didn’t fix anything until I replaced the cam phaser actuators on the front of the valve cover. Now she runs fine...... but the dang trans keeps going into limp mode. DTC P1731- incorrect gear engaged is the main one. Borrowed a tcm from the dealer and didn’t fix the problem. This all happened at the same time after some mud. Has thrown a speed sensor no circuit code too. Searching the internet I have found threads on forums that are 3-5 years old where some one found themselves in mud (the devil) and had their trans go limp. I have yet to find one where the issue is rectified. I’m on the verge of sending it to the dealer but warranties and savings for them to do work I can are all long gone. In my eyes it’s got to be a sensor or plug or something electrical that I’m over looking. So I’m being that guy and asking for opinions. Ever had this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Shit man, sorry. I was rooting for it to be simpler than that. No clue on that code. Good luck, if you track it down I think we'd all love to know.

FLAVE

To add closure to an issue that is seldom closed upon......

It is, in fact, what no one wants to hear. Fluid on the stick looks great. Pull the trans pan and that will be a total different story. Not much of water in the fluid but literal globs of mud. Even a couple blades of grass in the filter. DO NOT GET IN DEEP MUD WITH A LATE MODEL JEEP! Time to replace a trans with 75,000 miles on the clock. Yee yee.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug

It is, in fact, what no one wants to hear. Fluid on the stick looks great. Pull the trans pan and that will be a total different story. Not much of water in the fluid but literal globs of mud. Even a couple blades of grass in the filter. DO NOT GET IN DEEP MUD WITH A LATE MODEL JEEP! Time to replace a trans with 75,000 miles on the clock. Yee yee.

Sorry to hear that!

jdofmemi

Ouch! That hurts.

Thanks for the follow up.

Any idea how it got in?

Primo82

Caught the Bug

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I'll have to keep this in mind. I tend to do stupid shit and could easily see myself doing this. Hope the swap goes well.

Ddays

Hooked
Any idea how it got in?

Just a wild guess here but maybe this? :thinking:

Of course, without fail, 20 mins into being there someone wants me to hit the mud hole that “no one has made it through tonight”. After a few cold snacks I went ahead and dragged through that and after a while ended up high speed bogging the Jeep around the motocross track they have there.

While you have everything out of the way is a great time to extend every breather on the Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jdofmemi

Just a wild guess here but maybe this? :thinking:

I got that part, I was asking about physically how and where it got in at. Was it just through the breather, or was there another path.

On the same token, the OP needs to be sure to check the transfer case as well as the axles.

Even a sealed compartment can draw water/mud in through the seals if the compartment is hot, IE: operating temperature, and gets put into cold water. The rapid contraction can draw water and mud in through seals that don't normally leak. If it leaks already, it will really suck up the crap.

FLAVE

Well........

19B7A6C8-D927-4B34-B0A7-F4729135AF5E.jpg

Used trans went in. Less miles than what my Jeep has currently (70,000 vs. the jk’s 75,000). I will say swapping out the trans wasn’t too much fuss really. Went well. Dropped it down, filled with fluid and took it for a spin.
I was super excited thinking whew all this trouble and money and finally I got the Jeep back right before topless weather. Had it at a friends place with a lift so had another buddy ride with me to pick it up. I had my chap in the truck so he opted to drive the, what now seems, cursed Jeep.
We made it about 6-7 miles and my cell started ringing with said buddy on the other end. He said everything was working great and then the CEL illuminated and the Jeep kinda made a lunge and lost power. As we are talking he said well it sounds like it just backfired! Under WOT it won’t drop down and go it kinda stumbles and falls on its face.
Got it home and read what she says....
IMG_0266.jpg
And today to add more to it
IMG_0288.jpg

Back to the drawing board I guess. Fml.
Leaning towards LS swapping it maybe idk.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Well........

View attachment 343843

Used trans went in. Less miles than what my Jeep has currently (70,000 vs. the jk’s 75,000). I will say swapping out the trans wasn’t too much fuss really. Went well. Dropped it down, filled with fluid and took it for a spin.
I was super excited thinking whew all this trouble and money and finally I got the Jeep back right before topless weather. Had it at a friends place with a lift so had another buddy ride with me to pick it up. I had my chap in the truck so he opted to drive the, what now seems, cursed Jeep.
We made it about 6-7 miles and my cell started ringing with said buddy on the other end. He said everything was working great and then the CEL illuminated and the Jeep kinda made a lunge and lost power. As we are talking he said well it sounds like it just backfired! Under WOT it won’t drop down and go it kinda stumbles and falls on its face.
Got it home and read what she says....
View attachment 343844
And today to add more to it
View attachment 343845

Back to the drawing board I guess. Fml.
Leaning towards LS swapping it maybe idk.

Did you check all of the connections towards the bottom of the engine compartment and around the transmission that may have gotten mud or water forced in them. Could be a corroded or shorted connection somewhere

FLAVE

To update on the engine issues, I changed the oil and replaced the filter with a Mopar filter. Jeep does fine now (for the most part). Crazy the difference a dang filter makes. Still gets a P06DD engine oil pressure control circuit stuck off code... I’ll just change the pressure sensor sometime I reckon. But as for now, it’s ok. Will probably break after it reads this post..
82CE9FFF-0C37-4FDD-ABD7-EBBEE6C0D2B2.jpg

2F0E478E-2448-4DA8-B385-2F71DFDC7303.jpg

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
I am going to a friends house today to work on a P0016 code. We replaced the cam pos sensor and crank pos sensor yesterday. I will tell him about this thread as well. Seems like some jeeps are destined for an LS / LT swap.

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
Well, we pulled the valve covers, which took some work, but we found metal powder on the reluctors that we think is coming from a bad rocker. We'll replace all the rockers tomorrow and put everything back together. Might take two more days. I'll let you know. Apparently, these rockers can go bad as early as 20K miles but this one has 100k.

1685842455927.png

Well, we pulled the valve covers, which took some work, but we found metal powder on the reluctors that we think is coming from a bad rocker. We'll replace all the rockers tomorrow and put everything back together. Might take two more days. I'll let you know. Apparently, these rockers can go bad as early as 20K miles but this one has 100k.

View attachment 390341
Might as well LT swap it then 😏

Top Bottom