yeti coolers

GCM 2

I have completed two JK Experiences using a Yeti cooler. Filled it with ice at the start of the week long adventure and never needed to replenish ice, made the entire run on one fill up. Yeti's are definitely the toughest and best traditional ice cooler they make. However, ARB coolers are still a better option. If I had to do it over I think I would spend a little more and just get an ARB.

Smokinjoe

I have the Tundra 65, went to Rubicon and held ice for 7 days. Used block ice and second block chopped in chunks.
Very Nice ice chest but $$. The 65 fits nice in my JKR also got the Yeti tie downs.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Yeti's do cost bank and are very nice coolers. I went cheap with an Igloo Marine 5 day.

Last edited:
I have the tundra 120.. THE best cooler I've ever owned. Made the mistake of using dry ice and it froze EVERYTHING. Well worth the money IMO

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

miguel250r

I went down to Walmart and got me a Coleman plug in ice chest it was like 60 bucks and keeps drinks as cold as Ur fridge at Ur house way cheaper than a arb but I'm just a cheapskate

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

FrankenJeeper

They still make those? Thought coleman forgot what metal was.:D

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Damn right they do! Lol. The stainless one academy and cabelas sell now, and the green one is about a late 70's early 80's models I found on Craigslist. You can still buy stainless, red and green coolers directly from Coleman but you're gonna pay for them.

My stainless will hold ice about 3 days in the alabama heat at the beach.

Indefatigable

I went down to Walmart and got me a Coleman plug in ice chest it was like 60 bucks and keeps drinks as cold as Ur fridge at Ur house way cheaper than a arb but I'm just a cheapskate

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

You must be camping in cooler weather. I have found they have trouble keeping things as cool as I like once the temps reach top down levels. I ditched my thermoelectric for an Edgestar fridge/freezer. Lot less $ than ARB/Engle/Waeco but not as high tech. Though it cools or freezes nicely. Three of us up here running them now without issue. There are also two with ARBs and one with Engle. One ARB is dead after a year and the Engle was DOA (bad board since replaced).

YMMV

Ice coolers are nice.

Ice cream on the trail is nicer :)

jkrossi

You must be camping in cooler weather. I have found they have trouble keeping things as cool as I like once the temps reach top down levels. I ditched my thermoelectric for an Edgestar fridge/freezer. Lot less $ than ARB/Engle/Waeco but not as high tech. Though it cools or freezes nicely. Three of us up here running them now without issue. There are also two with ARBs and one with Engle. One ARB is dead after a year and the Engle was DOA (bad board since replaced).

YMMV

Ice coolers are nice.

Ice cream on the trail is nicer :)

Since you have an electric fridge/freezer I have a question.

I would like to purchase one but when I camp I take my cooler out of my jeep cause Im in a wheelchair and cant really see inside of it when its up in the jeep. So can I hook it up to battery and how long do you think a battery will keep its charge will providing power to the fridge if not hooked up to the jeep? Would a marine battery work best for this situation? Or how long do they stay cool if not hooked to battery at all?

Hope my question make sense.

Indefatigable

It depends is the answer.

A fridge/freezer can last several days on a good battery and still be able to start the vehicle. My lousy end of life battery, I get a day out of it.

The Edgestar has more (better can not say) insulation than the ARB/Engle/Waeco units.

I had my unit set at 0F when I unplugged it in temps of 28-33C. Left it for the day (10 hrs?) Sun hit it partially for a few hours and when I plugged it back in, the internal temp was still less than 30F (recall mid 20sF). The ice cream and freezies did not melt.

If you are going to be lugging around a second battery to power the unit when not in the vehicle. Don't. Just pick up a nice quiet Honda or Yamaha 1000W generator. They can be had for decent money off CL. I recently picked up a little Yam and I get over 12hrs powering the fridge and charging other toys with it in camp on just one tank of fuel (2.5L).

YMMV

Ducky

Advertiser - Motech Representative
I ordered a Yeti Tundra 420 to use on one of our DV aircraft for long sustainable wet ice. I will agree that they are "7day coolers" and I needed the largest one they made for the application on the aircraft. However, as a consumer, the pelican coolers are lighter on the pocket. Both are excellent, depends on what size, cost, and what will best fit your application.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app. -Swany

eeftw

I ordered a Yeti Tundra 420 to use on one of our DV aircraft for long sustainable wet ice. I will agree that they are "7day coolers" and I needed the largest one they made for the application on the aircraft. However, as a consumer, the pelican coolers are lighter on the pocket. Both are excellent, depends on what size, cost, and what will best fit your application.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app. -Swany

When did you get rid of your mustang!?

Top Bottom