Your friends 2015 JK is running hot climbing hills on highway, what causes do you suspect?

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
3.6 Pentastar engine
He's getting to about 270 when climbing hills on highway on 40's. Normally it runs around 220
Are there any "usual suspects" for this behavior and could it be a warning of a bigger problem?
Thanks in advance for an and all JK knowledge.

Bierpower

Hooked
Are there grill/radiator blockages?
This one kills me. The number of vehicles I see driving around with a whole pile of accessories towering in front of the grill. I've seen a couple jeeps and pickups with the designer "grill inserts" with a winch on top of the bumper and a bull bar with some 8" round lights all directly in front of the radiator. Then to top it off they start making vehicles without a temp gauge. 🤦‍♂️

JeepFan

Hooked
One thing you can check and it's pretty easy is to inspect for debris between the A/C condenser and radiator. Pull the plastic cover on top of the radiator and look to see if there's bugs, dirt and vegetation clogging the rad fins. My 09 JK had all kinds of crap trapped in the radiator restricting good air flow.

The BAD Influence

I have a 2015. We have had issues with it over heating once lifted and bigger tires were added. Even blew a head gasket. Local dealer repaired under warranty. Still had problems. Put on a new bumper, lowering the winch from blocking the radiator. Changed the thermostat. Still issues. Finally found a shop who asked "Is it a 2015? Ok, it needs a new water pump". Upon further discussion, any time they have a JK customer with over heating issues, that's their first question. And they've tried after market water pumps, that don't solve the problem either. They replace with Mopar water pumps only. And only have issues with 2015s.

SeaSharp

At what temperature is reached that it will start to mess things up and there is no return? I see 206 when idling around and then 231 sometimes when on HWY. What's the point I should never let it get to? And don't they make an update on the thermostat to kick in the fan sooner?

Top Bottom