EVO rock sliders- welding question and what to coat them with?

Drdiesel1

If you've got a welder.. just make your own.. :thumb: These cost me just over $200 including a pipe notcher attachment for my drill made with 1-3/4" .120 wall and a few hours of fun.. ok and beer :beer:..painted with self etching primer then rust oleum truck bed spraypaint.. I painted everything but the "feet" and stuffed a wet towel into the spaces to protect the gas tank, ground off the paint on the frame rails.. welded them up then primer and truck bed liner again..
Went with a "similar" design and tipped them out for a perfect step too.. wife loves that part
View attachment 198248
View attachment 198249
View attachment 198250

Nice work! I'm planning on doing the same thing. For what the EVO sliders are, I can make a better set and weld
them on for way less. Saving money with a better product is a win win. Then, I can spend more on other stuff :yup:

WJCO

Meme King
Fixed it for you.

Sharkey brings up a good point. That's a damn good design. I even contacted EVO for sliders for my WJ before joining WAL just because I like the design. Unfortunately, they said they would need the vehicle there to build the custom setup. Building your own shit is cool, but if you like the EVO design, for 500ish bucks, just buy the sliders. That's really not a bad price for decent sliders that are not only strong, but look badass too.

dwvninety

Nice work! I'm planning on doing the same thing. For what the EVO sliders are, I can make a better set and weld
them on for way less. Saving money with a better product is a win win. Then, I can spend more on other stuff :yup:

If your product is better than EVO's can you show me video's of it being tested in the real world? How did you compare that it was better? What kind of test did you put them up too? Just curious.....

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'm all for dyi projects, just come up with your own design and don't copy something that someone has incurred a bunch of money in R&D to create and market.

Drdiesel1

If your product is better than EVO's can you show me video's of it being tested in the real world? How did you compare that it was better? What kind of test did you put them up too? Just curious.....

I haven't made them yet, but I can guarantee they will be better :yup:

100% me and a friends design. Everything he makes is overkill. We call it OVERHAASED :eek:
When there done, I'll show pics and video in use on the Rubicon Trail.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King

100% me and a friends design. Everything he makes is overkill. We call it OVERHAASED :eek:

That's all fine and dandy, but you do know who Mel Wade is right? You are well aware of his experience and designs with offroad systems in general?

Drdiesel1

That's all fine and dandy, but you do know who Mel Wade is right? You are well aware of his experience and designs with offroad systems in general?

Nope! Don't really care about it. The sliders we fab will be better even if they're as capable because they're cheaper
and I did it myself. Didn't come into this thread to start a slider war. I prefer DIY and am more than capable of it.

I guess based on your response, you own a bunch of his stuff. Sorry, I'm not a FAN BOY and could care less.

Last edited:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug

A bit cocky. Thinking something is or going to be better is subjective. EVO sliders are well build and very strong. Not to mention trail proven.

Drdiesel1

A bit cocky. Thinking something is or going to be better is subjective. EVO sliders are well build and very strong. Not to mention trail proven.

SO, I guess they're the only one on the planet that can make good sliders ????? You don't even know who you're talking too :cheesy:

Not cocky at all. Just knowledgeable :yawn37: Don't hate because someone else can FAB sliders :thankyou:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
SO, I guess they're the only one on the planet that can make good sliders ????? You don't even know who you're talking too :cheesy:

Not cocky at all. Just knowledgeable :yawn37: Don't hate because someone else can FAB sliders :thankyou:

Never said you or anyone else cant make good sliders. I don't need to know who you are. You came off cocky. Im all for people doing shit for there self, not hating at all. Cant wait to see your slider when they are made.

Drdiesel1

Never said you or anyone else cant make good sliders. I don't need to know who you are. You came off cocky. Im all for people doing shit for there self, not hating at all. Cant wait to see your slider when they are made.

I think you're confusing confidence for cockiness :beer: No worries :thumb:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Out of curiosity how much better can they be? Not trying to argue or anything. I mean, EVO's design has been proven to handle a harsh slam of a fully loaded down JKU and be un-phased. So by better, do you mean they'll be lighter? Better clearance? Your comment about how your buddy does everything overkill kind of makes it sound like they'll be bigger and heavier. Which to me doesn't sound better. And just so you know who you're talking to, I'm too dumb, lack the skill and don't have the cockiness....er confidence you have so I just bought mine from EVO.

Drdiesel1

Out of curiosity how much better can they be? Not trying to argue or anything. I mean, EVO's design has been proven to handle a harsh slam of a fully loaded down JKU and be un-phased. So by better, do you mean they'll be lighter? Better clearance? Your comment about how your buddy does everything overkill kind of makes it sound like they'll be bigger and heavier. Which to me doesn't sound better. And just so you know who you're talking to, I'm too dumb, lack the skill and don't have the cockiness....er confidence you have so I just bought mine from EVO.

Well, then I guess all you guys will just need to wait and see :dont_know:

WJCO

Meme King
Nope! Don't really care about it. The sliders we fab will be better even if they're as capable because they're cheaper
and I did it myself. Didn't come into this thread to start a slider war. I prefer DIY and am more than capable of it.

I guess based on your response, you own a bunch of his stuff. Sorry, I'm not a FAN BOY and could care less.

Since you don't seem to know nor care, Mel is the owner of EVO manufacturing and ORE and is a supporter of the forum and is friends with a lot of people here. So you coming on the forum and stating you can build something better was pretty rude in my eyes.

mcgyvr

I'm all for dyi projects, just come up with your own design and don't copy something that someone has incurred a bunch of money in R&D to create and market.

The only thing that makes EVO sliders any different from others is simply how they added the formed triangle plates at the ends vs bending the outer tube down to the lower one or connecting it via another support.. Other than that is just a "2 tube" rock slider design thats been around long before EVO...

Ddays

Hooked
The only thing that makes EVO sliders any different from others is simply how they added the formed triangle plates at the ends vs bending the outer tube down to the lower one or connecting it via another support.. Other than that is just a "2 tube" rock slider design thats been around long before EVO...

Wow. Kinda left a few things out but your minds already made up...

mcgyvr

Wow. Kinda left a few things out but your minds already made up...

No.. I didn't leave anything out.. Thats the only thing that makes theirs "unique"..

Ironically I hadn't even seen the EVO sliders before I made mine.. I actually saw a similar 2 tube design on a ZJ jeep that I liked and one from a tacoma and used those for my inspiration..
I didn't have a tube bender and just had some 1/4 x 1-3/4 flat bar laying around.. I was going to just leave the 2 tubes without anything connecting them at the end but then noticed how nicely that would catch/hold a rock if it hit just right and needed something to fill that gap..
Function dictated form..

JAGS

Hooked

So somehow this went from a how can weld my EVO sliders to "look at me, I can build my own!"

Way to be awesome and make friends around here. You are so bad ass. Only, you forget that know one asked and know one cares.

Top Bottom