EVO rock sliders- welding question and what to coat them with?

metalic

This is hilarious. I have my bumper, my corners, etc but I bought EVO sliders after seeing the abuse they take and there very reasonable priced. I've winches my jeep sideways from these things.

Broke_JKowner

Not sure why a lot of the treads I read turn into one big pissing match???? Anywho, I'd say weld them on yourself. You get to save a little $$$$, and you get the satisfaction of doing it on your own. Good luck and I hope it works out for you. Oh and MCGYVR your sliders look great.
Cheers everyone :beer:

Ddays

Hooked
Not sure why a lot of the treads I read turn into one big pissing match???? Anywho, I'd say weld them on yourself. You get to save a little $$$$, and you get the satisfaction of doing it on your own. Good luck and I hope it works out for you. Oh and MCGYVR your sliders look great.

It's because this is a community and most stick up for the members of the community. EVO & ORE are huge supporters and even more importantly, friends to an awful lot of people here. That's one of the reasons why there are so many perceived "fan boy" posts here. The other is because they build the best hardcore parts out there. There is a reason there are so many sliders, DTD,s skins, etc, etc out there that look like EVOs....just sayin.

If you can fab your own stuff, more power to you. Just don't expect to get many pats on the back for copying other peoples work...

Last edited:

mcgyvr

So somehow this went from a how can weld my EVO sliders to "look at me, I can build my own!"

Way to be awesome and make friends around here. You are so bad ass. Only, you forget that know one no one asked and know one no one cares.

Fixed it for you.. Wish this editor had a strike through..
You're welcome..

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
The only thing that makes EVO sliders any different from others is simply how they added the formed triangle plates at the ends vs bending the outer tube down to the lower one or connecting it via another support.. Other than that is just a "2 tube" rock slider design thats been around long before EVO...

Are you sure that is all? How can you be so sure? Do you have any EVO products that you have drawn your experience from? What makes you an expert on EVO products? Do you know anything about what kind of metal they used? How were they welded?

My only experience so far with EVO is their front bumper. That thing is very well made and made from VERY strong steel. I went through 5 drill bits drilling the holes for the trail stinger. No joke, it had a very high brittle hardness rating.

mcgyvr

Are you sure that is all? How can you be so sure? Do you have any EVO products that you have drawn your experience from? What makes you an expert on EVO products? Do you know anything about what kind of metal they used? How were they welded?

yes.. Thats all..
Its rock sliders.. Its not a magical/mystical product..
And they put all the material information in their marketing material..
They make them with 1-3/4 x .120 wall DOM just like many other companies and 3/16 laser cut steel for their unique end treatment and jig/mig weld it..

I don't have any EVO products but have heard nothing but good remarks about them from this site and others. I really only knew about their leveling kit..I'm "fresh" in the JK world (only 1500 miles on mine) but not really new to Jeeps.
I agree that "IF" you need something that's built well and you don't have the ability to make it yourself then your first stop should be EVO..

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King

Ddays answered this perfectly. Being ORE is a big contributor and friend of the forum, it was very rude for Dr Diesel to come and say he could build better, IMO. I think that's the comment that started all this.

It's because this is a community and most stick up for the members of the community. EVO & ORE are huge supporters and even more importantly, friends to an awful lot of people here. That's one of the reasons why there are so many perceived "fan boy" posts here. The other is because they build the best hardcore parts out there. There is a reason there are so many sliders, DTD,s skins, etc, etc out there that look like EVOs....just sayin.

If you can fab your own stuff, more power to you. Just don't expect to get many pats on the back for copying other peoples work...

JAGS

Hooked

No pissing. Unless someone wants to make it that way. I just think it's interesting how some feel the need to prove something on a thread.

The thread was how to install. Not how to make your own. You want to post about that, start your own thread.

Fixed it for you.. Wish this editor had a strike through..
You're welcome..

Cool. Brain must not be engaged. Spent 14hrs on one of the toughest trails in Moab and worked the shit out of my EVO sliders. Money well spent. But to each their own.

Ddays

Hooked
yes.. Thats all..
Its rock sliders.. Its not a magical/mystical product..
And they put all the material information in their marketing material..
They make them with 1-3/4 x .120 wall DOM just like many other companies and 3/16 laser cut steel for their unique end treatment and jig/mig weld it..

I don't have any EVO products but have heard nothing but good remarks about them from this site and others. I really only knew about their leveling kit..I'm "fresh" in the JK world (only 1500 miles on mine) but not really new to Jeeps.
I agree that "IF" you need something that's built well and you don't have the ability to make it yourself then your first stop should be EVO..

Look, I don't mean to prolong this derailment much further, but your perspective changes after you've been here a while. Your approach to this is "these are just Jeep parts", but it's deeper than that here. This site is as much about the relationships with each other and the vendors that support this forum. This is why I came to this site. It can be blunt and brutally honest at times, but no one is going to give anyone bad information here, period. If someone comes here trying to promote a shit product, they will hear about it, big time.
Maybe after some time here you'll be the one on the other side saying what I am here. I've only been here since last August and I've learned so much from so many people that I almost feel
like I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night...;)

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The only thing that makes EVO sliders any different from others is simply how they added the formed triangle plates at the ends vs bending the outer tube down to the lower one or connecting it via another support.. Other than that is just a "2 tube" rock slider design thats been around long before EVO...

All tube sliders are made out of tube...well duh! The design and appearance are a large part of what makes them unique. I suspect you have not been around JK's very long. If you had, you would know that there are not many two tube, frame mounted (welded) sliders out there with the appearance that you clearly copied. There is EVO, a blatant rip off of EVO, and that's about it.

mcgyvr

Look, I don't mean to prolong this derailment much further, but your perspective changes after you've been here a while. Your approach to this is "these are just Jeep parts", but it's deeper than that here. This site is as much about the relationships with each other and the vendors that support this forum. This is why I came to this site. It can be blunt and brutally honest at times, but no one is going to give anyone bad information here, period. If someone comes here trying to promote a shit product, they will hear about it, big time.
Maybe after some time here you'll be the one on the other side saying what I am here. I've only been here since last August and I've learned so much from so many people that I almost feel
like I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night...;)

As I stated.. I've heard that EVO makes great products and if you want something built well and can't do the same yourself then they should be your first stop..
I understand the whole forum/relationship deal too.. I came here because I know this is a group of people that know what they are doing and actually use the products/their Jeep hard..
Other forums are more about making the Jeep look cool.. This one is actually about making it work right and actually using it to back that up (and it still comes out looking cool too but thats not the end of it)..

I only responded here because the OP stated they have a welder.. and to me.. If you've got one.. Then use it.. and sliders are about as simple/easy as you can get..(no need for a laser/plasma,etc.. just a drill/saw/welder) I didn't want to derail this thread either (and don't think I was the cause either).. I just tried to provide another perspective/suggestion..
What I don't like about this forum is how another perspective/suggestion (right or wrong) is immediately targeted and attacked. Pirate has TONS of knowledge too but its "ruled" by those that will attack in an instant and get pretty rude about it..
Just because my post count is low doesn't mean my opinions/suggestions are any less valid than anyone elses..
This forum could use some "fresh minds".. but its not good to attack them all just because its different. If the product is shit.. then sure.. reply and save others the trouble..
But I didn't bash EVO.. I didn't say their product was shit.. I saw a person with a welder and just said.. use it and here are some pics of whats possible when you have your own..

mcgyvr

All tube sliders are made out of tube...well duh! The design and appearance are a large part of what makes them unique. I suspect you have not been around JK's very long. If you had, you would know that there are not many two tube, frame mounted (welded) sliders out there with the appearance that you clearly copied. There is EVO, a blatant rip off of EVO, and that's about it.

As I stated I hadn't even seen EVO's sliders when I built mine.. I was "inspired" by a design I saw on a ZJ and a tacoma and used what I had and the outcome is what I made.. I didn't have a tube bender at the time so I couldn't turn the ends down to connect the tubes and didn't want to make miter cuts to piece a turned down corner.. But I did have a flat bar of steel.
Also as I stated I am new to JK's and only knew about their leveling kit.. but as stated again the ONLY thing that makes EVO sliders unique vs any other two tube slider out there for JK's or any other vehicle is how the created that triangle piece with sides/their logo.. They did not invent a 2 tube welded frame mounted slider.. They started with a well known 2 tube design and tailored it for the Jeep and capped the ends in their way..

Now yes.. VKS is a pure copy.. Mine are no more a copy of EVO than EVO's is a copy of others that have been around long before them..
I wanted the lower tube to extend under the fender flares to give them protection but you can't do the same with the upper tube as it would interfere with the flares.. I started them without anything on the ends then noticed how nicely that would catch/hold a boulder so I added some flat bar to connect the pieces.. Its not a press brake formed triangular u cover (if it was I would agree is a copy of theirs).. Its a flat bar that happens to form a sort of "triangle" look to the ends because thats whats needed.. I built mine around the form of the jeep and its fender flares.. I'm sure EVO did too.. Great minds think alike :D

Quite a few recommend ACE weldon sliders too.. Are they a blatant rip off of EVO too?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
As I stated.. I've heard that EVO makes great products and if you want something built well and can't do the same yourself then they should be your first stop..
I understand the whole forum/relationship deal too.. I came here because I know this is a group of people that know what they are doing and actually use the products/their Jeep hard..
Other forums are more about making the Jeep look cool.. This one is actually about making it work right and actually using it to back that up (and it still comes out looking cool too but thats not the end of it)..

I only responded here because the OP stated they have a welder.. and to me.. If you've got one.. Then use it.. and sliders are about as simple/easy as you can get..(no need for a laser/plasma,etc.. just a drill/saw/welder) I didn't want to derail this thread either (and don't think I was the cause either).. I just tried to provide another perspective/suggestion..
What I don't like about this forum is how another perspective/suggestion (right or wrong) is immediately targeted and attacked. Pirate has TONS of knowledge too but its "ruled" by those that will attack in an instant and get pretty rude about it..
Just because my post count is low doesn't mean my opinions/suggestions are any less valid than anyone elses..
This forum could use some "fresh minds".. but its not good to attack them all just because its different. If the product is shit.. then sure.. reply and save others the trouble..
But I didn't bash EVO.. I didn't say their product was shit.. I saw a person with a welder and just said.. use it and here are some pics of whats possible when you have your own..

What you probably don't know is people have come on this forum in the past and literally asked other members to send them measurements from their Evo products so they could go make direct copies and then resell them under a different name. I see that as a far cry from what you've posted. You're not offering to make or sell knock-off copies. I'm actually a big fan of people who can fabricate their own solutions. I wish I had the skills and talent to do the same.

I guess what I'm getting at is, post up your own fabricated parts, just be aware that sponsors pay money to represent their products, and it could be considered rude to compare your home-made products to theirs, especially if the design is similar (by intention or not). Keep comments respectful and helpful and you'll be fine. :thumb:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
No pissing. Unless someone wants to make it that way. I just think it's interesting how some feel the need to prove something on a thread.

The thread was how to install. Not how to make your own. You want to post about that, start your own thread.

Cool. Brain must not be engaged. Spent 14hrs on one of the toughest trails in Moab and worked the shit out of my EVO sliders. Money well spent. But to each their own.

^^^^Love the last paragraph, JAGS

zimm

Caught the Bug
Heated argument indeed. I ordered the eve sliders from northridge. I'll weld them on myself and document for this thread. Then sell the rubicon rails and ace sliders and hopefully come within a two hundred bucks of breaking even.

Drdiesel1

Ddays answered this perfectly. Being ORE is a big contributor and friend of the forum, it was very rude for Dr Diesel to come and say he could build better, IMO. I think that's the comment that started all this.

I can tell youy and everyone else on this forum. It wasn't intended that way. Over reaction IMO!

WJCO

Meme King
I can tell youy and everyone else on this forum. It wasn't intended that way. Over reaction IMO!

As stated earlier, it was taken that way based on EVOs relationship with the forum. Good luck with your slider build though.

Drdiesel1

As stated earlier, it was taken that way based on EVOs relationship with the forum. Good luck with your slider build though.

Yeah, I understand that now. Thanks!

Wasn't aware of this and wasn't trying to knock anyone's product(s)

T&ERun

LOSER
If you've got a welder.. just make your own.. :thumb: These cost me just over $200 including a pipe notcher attachment for my drill made with 1-3/4" .120 wall and a few hours of fun.. ok and beer :beer:..painted with self etching primer then rust oleum truck bed spraypaint.. I painted everything but the "feet" and stuffed a wet towel into the spaces to protect the gas tank, ground off the paint on the frame rails.. welded them up then primer and truck bed liner again..
Went with a "similar" design and tipped them out for a perfect step too.. wife loves that part
View attachment 198248
View attachment 198249
View attachment 198250

Fixed it for you.

The whole derailment started here. Why was he attacked over building his own sliders? He can build whatever he wants for his Jeep, even if it looks identical and has an E V and an O on it. He's not selling sliders and didn't rip anyone off. I do agree with someone coming on here saying they can build something better than a major supplier and a sponsor of the forum however. That was someone else though. Don't attack this guy for getting his hands dirty and making his own parts. (BTW-Chromalloy tig welded sliders may be a little better, just saying. I'm not saying I could build those though ;) )

To the OP. The biggest cost in welding a part is the prep. Like someone else mentioned: test fit your sliders yourself at home, mark the frame, sand the paint off the frame where the weld will be, sand any paint off your sliders where the weld will be, fit the sliders back on the Jeep and mark where they go. That work should reduce the price at least 50 percent. Also, if you want to weld them yourself you can do it with the 110 machine. PM if you want. I'll tell you how, unlike many on here.

Top Bottom