The Metamorphosis of MumboJumbo

KingCopperhead

After talking with ya yesterday I figured I'd swing bye and check out your thread. Great read with lots of awesome pics and details. I love seeing the progression of people's builds and this is one of the best I've seen! Nice work and nice chatting with you.

Got Mumbo up on the bar stools today to swap the rear springs to a stiffer set. Rides a lot better but the new springs are about an inch taller. I was able to drop the ride height a little in the rear but it still has more rake than it did before. Hopefully it'll settle in and look right when we have our camping gear loaded up. We're planning to tow the MJ home with it Saturday. Should be fine as the MJ is much lighter than Mumbo. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420770247.206892.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420770271.047636.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420770302.872554.jpg Also decided to see what that new 50" light bar is gonna look like. (Thanks Rubirick!) Still have to order the pillar mounts for it but it should look ok. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420770496.579576.jpg

David1tontj

Got Mumbo up on the bar stools today to swap the rear springs to a stiffer set. Rides a lot better but the new springs are about an inch taller. I was able to drop the ride height a little in the rear but it still has more rake than it did before. Hopefully it'll settle in and look right when we have our camping gear loaded up. We're planning to tow the MJ home with it Saturday. Should be fine as the MJ is much lighter than Mumbo. View attachment 118388 View attachment 118389 View attachment 118390 Also decided to see what that new 50" light bar is gonna look like. (Thanks Rubirick!) Still have to order the pillar mounts for it but it should look ok. View attachment 118391

I'm sure the springs will sag after a little while. Just leave some heavy tools in it for a while 😁

That light should work awesome for you! What brand did you go with?

As much as I hated to do it, I finally threw in the towel and took Mumbo to an actual clutch shop. What began back in October as a simple replacement of the Throwout Bearing has turned into a nightmare.
At the same time I replaced the TOB, I also installed a Centerforce clutch. The new clutch wouldn't release and I was forced to reinstall the OEM clutch which was actually still in good shape. We took Mumbo the following day up to the Rubicon with no issues at all.
In the weeks that followed, the clutch began to start acting just like the Centerforce clutch to the point where it too wouldn't release. At that point we suspected it was either the slave or the master cylinder and rather than trying to guess which, I opted to replace them both along with the line between the two ( note: you cannot buy the o-rings without buying the line), as well as the clutch/pressure plate assembly. Still no change. Spoke to a mechanic at the clutch shop and he suggested I pull it all apart yet again and have the flywheel resurfaced even though I was led to believe scuffing it with 180 grit sandpaper would be enough. I followed his advice and had it resurfaced and Lo and Behold.. The clutch still isn't releasing.
So I tossed in the towel and took it to the clutch shop yesterday and they are currently looking it over. He gave it a quick look lastnight while I was there and did say it was installed correctly and that he doubts there is any air in the system as I had it power bled to be sure. The JK's clutch system has no adjustments whatsoever. It acts like it would go right into gear if it had just a tiny bit more throw, but once it's actually rolling from a dead stop I can shift with the clutch just fine. But what really stumps me the most is that I can downshift all the way to first gear and stop at a light with the clutch pedal pushed in and the engine won't stall.

Got a call from the shop this afternoon. Mechanic says the slave is no good and needs to be replaced. I explained to him that it has already been replaced twice in the last four days because I got one from the dealer that was leaking right out of the box.
He went on to explain to me that I had been bleeding the system wrong, apparently all the writeups I've read this week on bleeding were wrong as well, lol. He said the clutch system on the jk doesn't get bled the traditional way by pumping the pedal, holding while releasing the air thru the bleeder screw on the slave (why have it then?). He said this system is supposed to be reverse bled by hand pumping the slave with it hanging so the air is then released thru the reservoir. Although this method isn't unheard of, I thought it was odd that even the mechanics I know at jeep still do it the traditional way.
I also explained to him that my local dealership had to have the current slave shipped overnight from Michigan and that getting one in a timely manner wasn't likely to happen, but as luck would have it his supplier in the Bay Area has 14 of them and would have one here tomorrow to be installed Monday morning. He's charging me $200 to show me the error of my ways, a small price to pay to have Mumbo back on the road again.

Top Bottom