Project Wife Beater.

Rascal3

Congrats on the new rig:thumb:, I'm working on the wife to get her one but her excuse is that she is waiting on a purple wrangler to come out.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Congrats on the new rig:thumb:, I'm working on the wife to get her one but her excuse is that she is waiting on a purple wrangler to come out.

Thanks, we've had it since January. Just haven't done much to it. We usually take this one on long trips and grocery shopping.

olram30

Been thinking, this is going to sound odd. But I'm actually starting to like the new poison spider tire carrier. The upward angle seemed really weird with the first prototype, but the newer design is a little better. I'm planning on 35" tires, the evo or genright hoop would stick up to much. This hoop seems to fit a smaller tire better. I really like carriers that have tubes on the outside. Not like this jeep is going through holy cross or metal masher, but just seems like a little better than the aev.
Rotopax look to be easier and cheaper with this one also.
I'm either going with the aev or this one. Depends on price. Or I might change my mind again.
Is the upward angle a deal breaker for anyone else?

Attachments

• 1415035359792.jpg
    1415035359792.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 376
  • 1415035372050.jpg
    1415035372050.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 376

jfallon1

Been thinking, this is going to sound odd. But I'm actually starting to like the new poison spider tire carrier. The upward angle seemed really weird with the first prototype, but the newer design is a little better. I'm planning on 35" tires, the evo or genright hoop would stick up to much. This hoop seems to fit a smaller tire better. I really like carriers that have tubes on the outside. Not like this jeep is going through holy cross or metal masher, but just seems like a little better than the aev.
I'm either going with the aev or this one. Depends on price. Or I might change my mind again.

I've been annoying the hell out of PSC about that carrier over the past 3 months. I'm loving it, and definitely buying one.

jfallon1

The video that pic is from, where can I find it?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
its a nice looking carrier but the upward angle of the carrier annoys me. i feel like if it was to be that drastic of a swoop the tire would sit higher than it does.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Being that it is a Rubi X, why not just go with the AEV tire carrier? From a grocery getter perspective its a lot easier to just hit the unlock button on the key then having to undo all of those pins. :crazyeyes:

olram30

its a nice looking carrier but the upward angle of the carrier annoys me. i feel like if it was to be that drastic of a swoop the tire would sit higher than it does.

I need to see how it compares to the genright. The only thing about the genright is the hoop sits high with a smaller tire. I wonder if this thing was actually painted black if it would blend in. Need to see other jeeps with it. I like everything but the angle also. Trying to see if I can live with it.
I'm really struggling with choosing stuff for this jeep. The dozer I knew exactly what I wanted. This one, not so much. I'm even changing my mind on the rims again.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I need to see how it compares to the genright. The only thing about the genright is the hoop sits high with a smaller tire. I wonder if this thing was actually painted black if it would blend in. Need to see other jeeps with it. I like everything but the angle also. Trying to see if I can live with it.
I'm really struggling with choosing stuff for this jeep. The dozer I knew exactly what I wanted. This one, not so much. I'm even changing my mind on the rims again.

to get an idea of what a 35 looks like in the genright carrier go back to the earlier pages of Hinrich's build. he had 35 trail graps in his genright carrier and it didnt look to bad.

olram30

Another thing with the aev carrier is it sits offset to the passenger side. Not sure if that would bug me also.

sjd78

What's the advantage of that style carrier over one that attaches to the bumper itself?

jfallon1

I emailed and talked with Rick at PSC. They ran the carrier for rally venture and said it performed flawless. He said they were looking into releasing it early November. I couldn't get a price from them but when they debuted the carrier in September of last year, the estimated price was around $850. I'm sure that's without provisions for hilift, rotopax, and cb.

olram30

What's the advantage of that style carrier over one that attaches to the bumper itself?

Let's say you come off a ledge, or back into a tree or let's even throw in a shopping cart at Wal-Mart. It's not going to dent your tail gate or take out the back window.

JAGS

Hooked

I'm with you on the angle. I'd just go genright and be happy with my decision over than this particular carrier.

Don't feel too bad. Took me just shy of two years to pull the trigger on ENVY. LOl. I researched so many items and changed my mind so many times it was ridiculous. :crazyeyes:

olram30

I'm with you on the angle. I'd just go genright and be happy with my decision over than this particular carrier.

Don't feel too bad. Took me just shy of two years to pull the trigger on ENVY. LOl. I researched so many items and changed my mind so many times it was ridiculous. :crazyeyes:

I keep flip flopping on stuff. I need to look at a picture of the genright with 35"tires.

olram30

I do like how the ps has a locking latch and no pins to pull.

Attachments

• 1415040958269.jpg
    1415040958269.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 332

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I keep flip flopping on stuff. I need to look at a picture of the genright with 35"tires.

from hinrich's build
attachment.php

olram30

Or just pony up the cash and go with the bullet proof Teraflex HD carrier?
Another question I have, what back space is 00mm and -12mm on rims? I know the -12 is less back space, but in regular old inches?

Top Bottom