SEA-JKU Build Thread.

SEAJ

We have started preparing the axles for the new Artec Trus and Brackets. Took off the knuckles, Unit bearings, axles and cutting into the old brackets.

20160403_162455.jpg

20160416_175956.jpg

The Instructions I downloaded from Artec indicates I need about 2 inches of cast removed from the drivers side axle tube to make room for the spring perch.
That took some patience a Bandsaw, and a 7 inch, 3 inch cutting disks and in the tight spots a Dremel.

I lot of prying and hammering the cast started to break off with only the slightest grooves scraped into the axle tube.

It looks like the front axle is going to need new ball Joints and Ujoints.

20160416_152042.jpg

20160416_180637.jpg

20160417_134015.jpg

We will finish cutting, grinding and smooth everything out ready for the Artec Dana 60 1 Ton Swap kit. http://www.artecindustries.com/JK_SD_60_1T_Swap

The rear Sterling did not fare as well sitting in the Rain of Vancouver. The emergency break pads had fused themselves to the inside of the rotors. The axle would not turn and it took a lot of scraping and pounding of a hammer to finally get the rotors off. I probably will need to buy some replacement brake components as we are not sure of the calipers or if the rotors can be turned with some brake pads still fused to them a bit. Plus we had to cut the emergency break lines off since it was froze in the locked position.

Last edited:

SEAJ

The Dana 60 Buildup

Finalizing the tear down and the buildup has begun of the front 2005 SuperDuty Dana 60 to be placed in the JK
I ordered the Atrec truss. JK 1 TON - SUPERDUTY Front 60 Swap Kit with Currie Johnny Joints
G2 5.38 gears and master install kit.
ARB Locker with Free ARB cover. On the way.

This is the initial mock up of the truss and the Dana 60 with most brackets placed except the lower control arms and Johnny joints.

Now we identify the weld points, go at it with a flap disk, grind down a few places to get everything flush and the welding begins.

20160514_145656.jpg
20160514_145729.jpg
20160514_145636.jpg

Last edited:

SEAJ

Front Axle Nearly done

We have nearly completed the Front axle. All parts have arrived and all the welding and painting have been done. It just needs reassembled and the new ARB and G2 gears installed. I still am researching steering options and hoping to get some mock-ups before committing to a purchase just yet.

The final Rust cleaning and prevention treatment before being painted.

20160625_174141.jpg

20160626_153235.jpg

SEAJ

20160626_153225.jpg

20160626_165838.jpg

Wow man! I love the axles! I've been dreaming of doing a ton swap in my jeep... Someday🤔 lol I can't wait till they're under the jeep!

SEAJ

Wow man! I love the axles! I've been dreaming of doing a ton swap in my jeep... Someday樂 lol I can't wait till they're under the jeep!

Yeah. Its a dream come true even if its taking blood,sweat and most of my spare income to get through the build.

So far I have gotten the axles, The Trus and bracket rebuild kits, the tone ring kit for the rear, all master install kits, gears and ARB front and back. Ball Joints, UJoints etc;.

I cannot really complete the rear end until I have the long arm kit and made my purchase for rear Coilovers as some custom brackets make up these kits. I am still shooting for a December completion... I hope.

I am looking at some kind of High Steer option but there is some clearance questions with I still need to work out.

Back spacing is also a point of contention as here in Washington State width can be blocker for many trails so I am looking at a 20" Rim with over 5.5 inches BS to stay close at least in rim width to my current setup. I also have to keep in mind clearance for steering at full lock, wide set control arms and coilovers to monkey with the calculations.

Top Bottom