3.8 or 3.6

Suprchrgd_rubi

I have got a 14 with no problems, but have the extended warranty just in case 37k so far thinking of putting in the edelbrock super charger

Pyro1415

I realized the OP has made up his mind, this is for future readers.
2010 3.8, 54k miles and doesn't burn any oil when I do the changes every 5k miles. Its been hydrolocked and well we drained the water, switch the plugs, changed the oil and ran some seafood through. She still runs... I drive it like I stole it which is still pretty slow...
I was going to upgrade to a 2015 Rubi, but decided to Supercharge my Jeep and buy the truck I want instead, when the 3.8 blows ill be putting in an LS. The Dana 44 would be nice but I would upgrade it in the long run anyways.
So the 3.8 is a beast for punishment but if I was buying it over again now I would hands down get a brand new Rubi... drive it till it blows up and then LS swap.

EZ-E

2010 3.8, 54k miles and doesn't burn any oil when I do the changes every 5k miles. Its been hydrolocked and well we drained the water, switch the plugs, changed the oil and ran some seafood through. She still runs... I drive it like I stole it which is still pretty slow...
I was going to upgrade to a 2015 Rubi, but decided to Supercharge my Jeep and buy the truck I want instead, when the 3.8 blows ill be putting in an LS. The Dana 44 would be nice but I would upgrade it in the long run anyways.
So the 3.8 is a beast for punishment but if I was buying it over again now I would hands down get a brand new Rubi... drive it till it blows up and then LS swap.

Rofl. Ran Seafood through it, what kind?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

I have not made up my mind. what's the best choice.

Nervous as hell with the 3.6. Time will tell.

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
If I was to do it again, I would have gotten a 2014 Rubi instead of a 2015..just so I don't have a locked down PCM.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Could you please elaborate on the locked down PCM?

The 2015 pcm's are encrypted and therefore can't be easily modified/tuned without being replaced. The engines are good, but if you can't modify the programming it's a bit limiting.

Heholua

The 2015 pcm's are encrypted and therefore can't be easily modified/tuned without being replaced. The engines are good, but if you can't modify the programming it's a bit limiting.

Interesting, I bought a 2015 three months ago and have not done any mods that need programming. Have you had trouble finding a programmer that will do gears and tire size and such?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I did find out my new JK has not had the head replaced.

However it's has the 5 year, 100k powertrain warranty. 150k, 10 year on the left head.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I did find out my new JK has not had the head replaced.

However it's has the 5 year, 100k powertrain warranty. 150k, 10 year on the left head.

It's a shame you had to get another 3.6L. Hopefully you won't be needing a new head.

Top Bottom