3.8 or 3.6

Utah_Jay

The only time I am a bit disappointed with the power of the 3.8 is on extended trips on the freeway. For example driving what is normally 3.5 hours to Moab takes me over 4 hours in the JK. I just don't feel comfortable pushing it 75+mph with the 5.13's in it. Its sweet spot for me seems to be in the 65-70mph range. If you can live with that then the 3.8 is a great motor imo.

Peak

I can easily go 80+ in a 3.8 with 5.13 gears with no issues. Even when towing I will unknowingly go 70-80mph while towing and I don't even realize it, no issues at all. Of course when I do realize I'm going that fast I slow it down a bit lol. I hardly burn oil too, still running 5/20 with 65K miles and maybe half a quart for me every 5k miles but I usually change my oil every 3K. I believe the only real issues with the 3.8s is the tranny those models come with.

Bustedback

The 4.0 with 227k miles on it in my ZJ doesn't use a drop of oil, but it's also a gutless turd with 32's and stock gearing.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
The 4.0 with 227k miles on it in my ZJ doesn't use a drop of oil, but it's also a gutless turd with 32's and stock gearing.

My neighbor has a 90 MJ with 420,000 k on it. He says it still runs good !

I doubt you'll ever see a 3.6 with that many miles.

Spudcannons

One nice thing about the 3.6 is you can get a replacement for pretty cheap. I saw one for 2400 with 1200 miles on it.

JChamblee

I have a '12 3.6 and have already had to have a head replaced. The valve seat o. The exhaust valve was completely gone, dealer didn't bat an eye and did completely under warranty. I bought this jeep with 40k miles and have put another 30k on it since. I love the pep and power, 3.73 gears and 35s doesn't get sluggish. However I miss my 4.0 302k miles and still pulling strong in my old XJ.

Jeep2010

I have a 2010 jk manual and I have put on 140,000 on mine, 35,000 of that being with 35'' tires and have had no problem. I've had to replace the exhaust manifold. That's about it. I don't like not having the power as much but I am planning on going with the cummins 4BT. But I work at a dealership and get to drive them and I'd prefer the 3.8 personally. But that's just me. Good luck.

jk12blk

Is it a guarantee the head will fail on the 12' or 13' 3.6s? Are there any 3.6s with 50k+ miles where the head has not failed yet? Just curious. My jeep only has 12K and seems fine so far. I do hear a ticking noise when I first start it, but the sound quickly goes away.

mattfl

Is it a guarantee the head will fail on the 12' or 13' 3.6s? Are there any 3.6s with 50k+ miles where the head has not failed yet? Just curious. My jeep only has 12K and seems fine so far. I do hear a ticking noise when I first start it, but the sound quickly goes away.

I had 56k on my '12 before I traded it in and the head hadn't failed. My friend has 53k on his '13 and the head hasn't failed.

Bustedback

Chrysler says that about 7500 3.6 engines were effected with the head problems.

JKG33K

Had #2 cylinder head fail at 11k on my 2012. Was replaced under warranty. Got 57k now and zero issues since...

JChamblee

My 12 failed at 66k

mikefishes

We put on well over 100,000 miles on Moby's old 3.8L and honestly, I don't think it burned hardly any oil at all. Like Tony, maybe half a quart every 3k. I love the extra HP the 3.6L puts out but so far, it doesn't seem to be lasting as long. As you know, we burn about a quart every 1,000 miles now but then, we do have almost 80,000 miles on the odometer and of course, Chrysler says this is normal :rolleyes2:

Eddie,

I saw this while browsing the net earlier today. Then I saw your post here. Interesting.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

Top Bottom