Fire Extinguishers....where and how is yours mounted?

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Has anyone mounted one of the quick release mounts anywhere other than the rear rollbar? I picked up an aluminum quick release mount from Off-road Solutions and intended to put it on the drivers seat with a 2.5lb but it's just not fitting well.

Mine is mounted at the driver seat with a Drake release system. Works very well, I kick it from time to time getting out

Dubaibentzen

View attachment 215127

A 1lb would be much nicer for this position, but I'm happy with it so far.

Looking at all the options, this ^^^ is exactly how I am going to mount it.

My concern is that if the fire extinguisher is mounted between the seat and the door, then you cannot access it with the door closed in an accident. I have a Maglite mounted between the seat and door and always have to open the door to reach it. Door jams and no rescue. I want to be able to use the thing that's going to save my life in the worst possible scenario. Just my 2 cents.

GraniteCrystal

Looking at all the options, this ^^^ is exactly how I am going to mount it.

My concern is that if the fire extinguisher is mounted between the seat and the door, then you cannot access it with the door closed in an accident. I have a Maglite mounted between the seat and door and always have to open the door to reach it. Door jams and no rescue. I want to be able to use the thing that's going to save my life in the worst possible scenario. Just my 2 cents.

On one hand, I get this. Totally makes sense. On the other hand, what are the odds of you getting in an accident severe enough to crush your door in such a way it can't open while not severe enough to knock you out and in such a way that it also starts a fire?

Dubaibentzen

On one hand, I get this. Totally makes sense. On the other hand, what are the odds of you getting in an accident severe enough to crush your door in such a way it can't open while not severe enough to knock you out and in such a way that it also starts a fire?

GraniteCrystal, I agree with you. What are the odds of that happening?

However the door doesn't have to be crushed for you not being able to open it. The scenario could be as simple as another car is too close to yours and the door cannot open enough to get the fire extinguisher out. Or that you are gently rolled on the drivers side, still alive and thinking: "whew - made it"

Now add the flames....

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Where is it that you are planning to use the extinguisher, in the interior? The highest likelihood of a fire is going to be in the engine bay. If you can't get your door open to get out...I'm not so sure having an extinguisher in between your legs is going to make a damn bit of difference.

And I run two, one next to each seat. Chances of having both doors inoperable are really low.

Dubaibentzen

Just trying to think outside the box. I certainly hope never to use it. But I want to plan for the worst possible case. I want to have some life saving equipment where I can reach it. Will the doors be able to open on the actual day? Maybe, but lots of accidents have still happened where people are pinned to their seat. And yes maybe engine fires are the most probable, but what about electrical fires, fuel leakage or a lithium battery overheating in a cellphone or iPad or laptop on a leather seat, or the lighter in the pocket.

I carry 2 fire extinguisher one for each front seats, easy access in case of fire. I always remind myself not to open the hood if a fire does happen in the engine bay as it will introduce more oxygen to feed the fire.

So how do you put the engine bay fire out? Not raising the hood makes a lot of sense but I don't know how else to fight the fire. So where would I spray the extinguisher?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Just trying to think outside the box. I certainly hope never to use it. But I want to plan for the worst possible case. I want to have some life saving equipment where I can reach it. Will the doors be able to open on the actual day? Maybe, but lots of accidents have still happened where people are pinned to their seat. And yes maybe engine fires are the most probable, but what about electrical fires, fuel leakage or a lithium battery overheating in a cellphone or iPad or laptop on a leather seat, or the lighter in the pocket.

Wait, your cellphone blowing up is going to seal your doors shut?!?

JeepFan

Hooked
I mounted mine in the Tuffy storage bins on both sides of the Jeep. In an emergency, I can retrieve them in about 10 seconds.

1470446186436.jpg

Brute

Hooked

You don't need to crush the door...just flop the rig on its side...I just mounted one in front of the front passenger seat on the Anvil

Top Bottom