Fire Extinguishers....where and how is yours mounted?

JAGS

Hooked
One on each front seat. If my engine bay is on fire, I want access to the extinguisher as I'm getting out of the vehicle.

[emoji106] right there with you.

I remember some folks laughed at me a few years back when I installed mine on the driver's side seat base. I didn't care. Put mag light on passenger side.

If it's dark, I have time to walk around and get a flashlight. Might not be the case with a fire.

I also have one on the rear passenger side roll bar. With a soft top, it is very easily accessible. Quick zip and grab. I once had a real life situation and I was able to get the fire extinguisher out in about 12-15 seconds.

ob_tj

I like seeing all the responses to this thread. I hate to say it but even with being a firefighter I still have yet to put an extinguisher in my rig..

JAGS

Hooked
I like seeing all the responses to this thread. I hate to say it but even with being a firefighter I still have yet to put an extinguisher in my rig..

Should be the first set of mods. If not for you, for others you wheel with.

I've had to grab my extinguisher twice in real life situations. Luckily problems were always resolved and no jeeps seriously damaged.

ob_tj

Should be the first set of mods. If not for you, for others you wheel with.

I've had to grab my extinguisher twice in real life situations. Luckily problems were always resolved and no jeeps seriously damaged.

Reading this thread and from watching the video of Fordyce, it can happen to anyone. Thinking about picking one up tomorrow! Good sense of security.

Desertman

At the moment it is in the tool kit holder. We have mandatory requirement for fire extinguisher, warning triangle and first aid kit. Jeep supply a special bag along with extra tools with all this for this market.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Here's my suggestion. I've got the extinguisher, just need the quick release bracket and I'll mount it in the passenger foot well for quick access. Make sure you get the B/C rated extinguisher, not the A/B/C ones that will ruin your Jeep.

Bracket.PNG

Mount.PNG

Extinguisher.PNG

GraniteCrystal

Here's my suggestion. I've got the extinguisher, just need the quick release bracket and I'll mount it in the passenger foot well for quick access. Make sure you get the B/C rated extinguisher, not the A/B/C ones that will ruin your Jeep.

View attachment 211685

View attachment 211687

View attachment 211686

Roger that, mine is BC.

I like those mounts, but not cheap. It already has the mount to hold it (see pics above); just need to figure out how to mount that to Jeep.

I have flashlight next to drivers seat right now but seems like most agree it'd be better to have fire extinguisher there and put flashlight elsewhere.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467991325.905376.jpg

I went with the Drake holders, which are perfect. I have Haylon on the left and dry chemical on the right.

Word of caution, do not rely on velcro or a drawstring to secure these heavy objects. Imagine that these WILL become a projectile in the event of a collision, right at head level.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I used the Poison Spyder velcro mounts with 2 BC Auto/Marine Extinguishers (Walmart 18.00) to the roll bar at each passenger side door overhead. 2014 JKUR

View attachment 155189

also there are a few more pictures of others here ---> http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?25108-Fire-Extinguisher-with-TrexTop-NX&highlight=Extinguishers

I'm thinking about doing this for some "extras" I guess you would say.

Highly suggest you do a dry run for a fire scenario. You'll quickly move the fire bottle as close to the driver seat as possible. This is a personal pet peeve and everyone is welcome to their own method, but rear mounted fire bottles really need to be rethought.

Imagine you are smelling smoke, someone yells that your Jeep is on fire, or if you are lucky, you see the flames first. Most likely not the case though as fires typically are near your t-case or engine bay.

So, your Jeep is on fire.
1. If on grass or brush, drive to an open area. Putting out your Jeep is one thing, putting out the brush or grass that could inevitably burn your Jeep down is another. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
2. Put Jeep in park. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
3. Turn off Jeep. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
4. Unbuckle seat belt. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
5. Open door. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
6. Climb out. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
7. Accessing rear mounted fire bottle: open rear door and reach around rear bench, open tail gate, lift hardtop lid, or lift / unzip soft top window. Fumble with soft sided mount or pull metal pin from mount. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
8. Locate source of flames. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
9. Pull pin. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
10. Aim bottle away from you. (9 or 10 are interchangeable depending on your adrenaline and panic level). (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
11. Fight fire. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)

One on each front seat. If my engine bay is on fire, I want access to the extinguisher as I'm getting out of the vehicle.

For this reasoning alone I'm thinking one on both front seats. Some of it is my OCD to make it "match" but some of it is just to have extra for that "just in case" moments.

I also have a question on people's opinion. In general they are always red, I have seen some black ones and that would match the white and black theme of the jeep. Even black I would know they would there but I'm thinking of going with the red so that others might see them faster in the event that I am un able to get them. Such as a wreck on the road. Just a thought.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Highly suggest you do a dry run for a fire scenario. You'll quickly move the fire bottle as close to the driver seat as possible. This is a personal pet peeve and everyone is welcome to their own method, but rear mounted fire bottles really need to be rethought.

Actually, I can very easily reach in and get the rear mounted Fire Bottle with the rear doors open, no need to open the rear tire carrier and gate. I made sure that the Drake mount was situated with the pull pin towards the front of the vehicle. I can access these from multiple reaches, not just from the back.

I would like to test this with my friend Sharkey. Let's do a race and see how much longer it takes for me to get to mine as opposed to his. We can do a couple of runs. You game this weekend my friend?

SevenXL

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468007626.404012.jpg

Drake setup modified to fit my 13 fold and tumble seats. I have the same setup on the passenger side but for my LED Mag.

Top Bottom