Fire Extinguishers....where and how is yours mounted?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
One on each front seat. If my engine bay is on fire, I want access to the extinguisher as I'm getting out of the vehicle.

[emoji106] right there with you.

I remember some folks laughed at me a few years back when I installed mine on the driver's side seat base. I didn't care. Put mag light on passenger side.

If it's dark, I have time to walk around and get a flashlight. Might not be the case with a fire.

I also have one on the rear passenger side roll bar. With a soft top, it is very easily accessible. Quick zip and grab. I once had a real life situation and I was able to get the fire extinguisher out in about 12-15 seconds.

This is my plan as well, for the exact reasons you guys mentioned. Great advice right there!

View attachment 211698

I went with the Drake holders, which are perfect. I have Haylon on the left and dry chemical on the right.

Word of caution, do not rely on velcro or a drawstring to secure these heavy objects. Imagine that these WILL become a projectile in the event of a collision, right at head level.

Um, don't take this the wrong way, but... That's one sexy rear end you've got there lol!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Actually, I can very easily reach in and get the rear mounted Fire Bottle with the rear doors open, no need to open the rear tire carrier and gate. I made sure that the Drake mount was situated with the pull pin towards the front of the vehicle. I can access these from multiple reaches, not just from the back.

I would like to test this with my friend Sharkey. Let's do a race and see how much longer it takes for me to get to mine as opposed to his. We can do a couple of runs. You game this weekend my friend?

Sure. I will be likely be opening my hood by the time you are grabbing your extinguisher. :cheesy: Even if the reality is only 5 seconds difference, a fire can do a lot of damage in five seconds.

I've got nothing against the expensive mounts on the cage, except for the fact that they beg to be stolen when the top is off. When there is an inexpensive and effective solution, I will go with it 9 times out of 10 unless there is a "look" I am going for (nothing wrong with wanting a look if you are willing to pay for it.)

My tanks were inexpensive and came with mounts that are effective. Plus, if they were to get stolen I wouldn't be out of pocket a bunch of money. The added benefit to the placement (besides easy access) is that you can't see the tanks when the doors are on the Jeep. Although it may not be common, I have certainly heard of punks pulling the trigger on cage mounted extinguishers just because they find it funny to fill up the vehicle with shit.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437858130.657749.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437861756.368422.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437881563.577197.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Is the extinguisher pretty secure? Does it rattle around or move easily? Also, where did you pick those up at? I'm actually looking for extinguishers right now and like the simple setup. Any info is appreciated, thanks!

Those bands came with the extinguishers in the box. No, they don't rattle or bounce around at all and I am confident they are not going anywhere in a crash.

SarahLu

I just picked up a quick release mount from off-road solutions and I will be mounting it on the drivers seat for easy access. I am hoping to never have to use it but definitely want it as easily accessible as possible.

Sullivan

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468938888.485992.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468938914.152567.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468938936.532020.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468938972.866904.jpg
Mine are on the rear roll bar of my 2010. I used the Drake brand quick release. They are decent, but I am making new bands for it. Going to remove the padding and have it directly to the bar without padding under it and then paint the bands black.
I am going to add one by my seat. These are good for when we are out of the jeep or someone that is nearby to grab quick, but I want one within arms reach when I'm driving. Very cheap insurance IMO.

dwvninety

Highly suggest you do a dry run for a fire scenario. You'll quickly move the fire bottle as close to the driver seat as possible. This is a personal pet peeve and everyone is welcome to their own method, but rear mounted fire bottles really need to be rethought.

Imagine you are smelling smoke, someone yells that your Jeep is on fire, or if you are lucky, you see the flames first. Most likely not the case though as fires typically are near your t-case or engine bay.

So, your Jeep is on fire.
1. If on grass or brush, drive to an open area. Putting out your Jeep is one thing, putting out the brush or grass that could inevitably burn your Jeep down is another. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
2. Put Jeep in park. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
3. Turn off Jeep. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
4. Unbuckle seat belt. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
5. Open door. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
6. Climb out. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
7. Accessing rear mounted fire bottle: open rear door and reach around rear bench, open tail gate, lift hardtop lid, or lift / unzip soft top window. Fumble with soft sided mount or pull metal pin from mount. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
8. Locate source of flames. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
9. Pull pin. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
10. Aim bottle away from you. (9 or 10 are interchangeable depending on your adrenaline and panic level). (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
11. Fight fire. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)

I carry 2 fire extinguisher one for each front seats, easy access in case of fire. I always remind myself not to open the hood if a fire does happen in the engine bay as it will introduce more oxygen to feed the fire.

Last edited:

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Just moved mine to the drivers seat. Write up in build thread if anyone wants it.

Attachments

• 1469299384449.jpg
    1469299384449.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 1469299414558.jpg
    1469299414558.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 214

SarahLu

Has anyone mounted one of the quick release mounts anywhere other than the rear rollbar? I picked up an aluminum quick release mount from Off-road Solutions and intended to put it on the drivers seat with a 2.5lb but it's just not fitting well.

Top Bottom