GraniteCrystal build thread

WJCO

Meme King
Followed Eddie's writeup at http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...K-Wrangler-Differential-Fluid-Change-Write-Up to change the fluid in both diffs this afternoon. Very easy to do.

Here's the front draining out. Liquid wasn't that nasty. Rear was worse.
View attachment 216479

Bought this for $3 at OReilly Auto which greatly helped with the refilling of the front diff.
View attachment 216480

Rear diff looks like there may be a leak? I check the bolts and they're tight.
View attachment 216481

Weird thing is that it goes up onto the bracket for those wires. Doesn't seem like that'd be the case if there were a poor seal on the diff cover.
View attachment 216482

Anybody have an idea? I wiped the whole diff cover clean; I'll check it over the next week to see if anything comes out.

That's pretty normal. You can keep an eye on it but don't worry too much. Long-term seepage, I don't see any signs of an active leak.

GraniteCrystal

It's a good feeling getting all that nasty fluid out, I'm at 8k and about to do mine

Yeah, it's weird, but I absolutely love the feeling after changing any of the fluids (differentials, oil, coolant, etc). Just knowing it's running on new, clean stuff makes me feel all warm inside. Is that weird? Am I the only one?

HI, my name is Scott and I have a fetish for my Jeep and its health.

swampdog

Yeah, it's weird, but I absolutely love the feeling after changing any of the fluids (differentials, oil, coolant, etc). Just knowing it's running on new, clean stuff makes me feel all warm inside. Is that weird? Am I the only one?

^^^^^^^Preach

WJCO

Meme King

That's awesome. :cheesy: So true though.

USMC Wrangler

Yes! I'm so relieved I'm not the only one! [emoji1]

GraniteCrystal

Problems with fire extinguisher mount

My wife complained the other day that the driver's seat wouldn't move far enough forward for her (5'5"). I took a look at it today, and the fire extinguisher is blocking it. When you're tall like me and nobody short drives your Jeep, you'll never notice it.

Here is a shot of the red fire extinguisher holder, the seat, and the silver metal bar that hits the fire extinguisher as the seat slides forward.
IMG_20160810_143544.jpg

The fire extinguisher doesn't move. The seat moves from right to left as it goes forward. So, that little metal bar by my thumb moves to the left as the seat moves forward and catches on the red fire extinguisher holder (which is flexed out more when there's an actual fire extinguisher in it).

This is a small negative against this solution in my opinion. My wife doesn't really care about driving when we go offroading, so my solution will be to just put the fire extinguisher in the Jeep at those times, and leave it out of the Jeep on a daily basis so she can take to go run errands, etc.

GraniteCrystal

Dirty Dog 4x4 sunshade

I love getting Jeep goodies in the mail! These came today. Have only done the front one so far; rear will go on next week when I remove the hardtop. Overall, I really like it. Still very much open air feeling, but it says it filters out 70% of the UV rays which is perfect for me. I like that I can still see through it enough to enjoy the views of the passing mountains.

IMG_20160811_094200.jpg

IMG_20160811_104314.jpg

Great coverage!
IMG_20160811_104354.jpg

A few installation notes that may help others...it'll be a lot easier to do with the hardtop off, but you can do the front portion with it on (maybe the rear portion too but I didn't try). The instructions call to use a kitchen knife to push the two rear straps from the top down. Can't do that with the top on, but there's an even easier way. Feed the strap up from the bottom and grab it with some needle nose pliers:
IMG_20160811_101515.jpg

Then tape it to itself:
IMG_20160811_101050.jpg

And pull it back through the other way:
IMG_20160811_101130.jpg

Also, keep everything loose until you have it fed through all attachment points. Once you do, you can use needle nose pliers again, coming from the rear, grab the strap and pull those two rear attachments tight. Don't over-tighten.
IMG_20160811_103811.jpg

Only thing I'm not a huge fan of is all the extra strapping they gave on the two side attachment points. Not a big deal though as it's easily cut and melted (to prevent fraying) or you can just wrap it around the bar once before feeding it through, as shown below:
IMG_20160811_104031.jpg

IMG_20160811_104151.jpg

GraniteCrystal

Note to self: factory scissor jack useless with 2.5" BB. Looks like I made need a bottle jack to take with me off road.

Attachments

• 1471034353409.jpg
    1471034353409.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 152

swampdog

I got a cheap harbor freight 12 ton bottle jack I've been using for a while and has done great for what I payed for it. That and a few 2x4 squares and there aren't many situations that I can't get the wheels up.

Shade tops are awesome. I got the Bartact because my wife is a redhead and it seemed to offer the best coverage. Amazing how much more comfortable it made running topless in the heat down here.

Top Bottom