Thinking about a cooler, need some info

el_chupo_

Appreciate it! We will work through this, to be sure. One of the upsides to the situation is I am getting to spend more, quality time with her, and after 8 years of marriage, I will admit that had slowed down. Life, hobbies, internet, work etc. would take up time, and now, while somewhat forced, that all gets pushed aside - and I still like her, so I'm not complaining on that front. Cant wait till she is able to get back out and do things like Jeeping, auto racing, and motorcycling with me again (that, and my hobby time will go up :D)

I can tell you I am not disappointed in the build quality of the cooler, but if I am being honest, it is a notch below the Yeti's I have spent time around. On par with most other coolers, save for the much heavier weight, and better insulation. Looks like the 30qt is not on their site any more, but at the price, I would certainly buy again. Especially if that coupon I posted earlier still works.

I am not a huge fan of the rope handles, I think I would prefer the Pelican on that front, because it does tend to sway and bounce, and because of the rope routing its not as easy to grab it by the molded in area at the top. But it fit my needs for this cooler. Need any specifics, details, pics, or other info that you cannot find online, I will be happy to help.

el_chupo_

Anything yet on the Siberian?
I'm running into the same problem you had. I have the Aries security deck. I have a max 15.5" H and 27"L
My research has lead me to:
Siberian 40
Grizzly G40
Engel 35
Yeti Tundra 45

The Yeti and Engel are not actually 45 and 35 quarts though. They are smaller. So they are kinda out.
Grizzly and Siberian are in the lead. All reviews say the Siberian is very good.
So... What say you?

Forgot to add earlier, this post by Desert Crawler earlier is why I suggest the tote - he says 14.5 is the max with his Aries deck.

I picked up a Coleman 48 qt cooler. It's 14.5" tall which is the absolute tallest that will go under my Aries trunk enclosure. It fits perfectly, but I don't know how much room is under the tuffy. I have no complaints with it, but l think I will pony up for a yeti or pelican cooler when I need another.

Jelliott28

Go with orca coolers they are by far the best. The outperform anything on the market and have a lifetime warranty. Holds ice for up to 10 days.

geberhard

Douchebag
really happy and impressed with my RTIC, 65, ice had barely melted after 4 days, cooler on semi shade, temp in the 70-80 range during the day. It is heavy, and looking back a 45 woudl have done the job for most Jeep daytrips, but the 65 is big enough to keep everything for teh family.

I doubt that the ORCA will keep the ice for 10 days it mentions they claim keep"items chilled for up to 10 days. " what is a bigger difference.

Either way the RTIC is hard to pass, good warranty, and for $200 it is basically a improved version of the Yeti for half the price.

My $.02 cents is to go with a light color (white or light gray\beige), as it helps as far as less heat absorption, but at the same time will show up more dirt etc.

chipper

Ended up buying a Engel 35 tan. After most of the ice tests I watched, it performed great. And I found it for $200 online. Plus A local store had one for me to test the fit under the security deck. Fits perfectly. It should be here Monday. I post up some picks when it gets here.

Jegar

Great info! I was just starting to research cooler myself, so this thread was very timely. [emoji106]🏻

HardRock87

The best cooler / brand I have come across is hand down a Yeti. I have a friend that has Yeti coolers and the ice in that will stay ice for several days in the direct heat without melting. She has a friend that has a Yeti thermos that they put ice cold drinks in down in Florida, and will leave it in their truck while working. Come back after hours and hours of being in there, and the ice is still there. Their products are amazing. The only downside is that they are so expensive, but they are always doing giveaways,

Dale

I just purchased a Yeti Tundra 45 and couldn't be happier. Only tested with a few cases of beer so nothing serious yet, but so far it has worked well! :clap2:

HardRock87

the RTIC coolers are very comparable to YETI. I would put my RTIC up to a YETI any day. My ice last 10 days.

Oh very cool. I'm definitely going to look into them. Thanks for the information. I have always loved Yeti because of what they could do but hate paying the price.

geberhard

Douchebag
Love my RTIC cooler, 6 days camping, direct sunlight barely any ice melt. $200 for a true 65 quart cooler volume, YETI coolers advertise more volume than they deliver. My $02. cents is YETI is a rip off, why pay more to get less? Disclaimer, I do not work for them blah blah blah. just a happy customer that I did not get ripped off. Th eonly downside is it took a few weeks as I had pre-ordered but so worth the wait.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/compare-rtic-45-to-yeti-tundra-45-cooler

HardRock87

Love my RTIC cooler, 6 days camping, direct sunlight barely any ice melt. $200 for a true 65 quart cooler volume, YETI coolers advertise more volume than they deliver. My $02. cents is YETI is a rip off, why pay more to get less? Disclaimer, I do not work for them blah blah blah. just a happy customer that I did not get ripped off. Th eonly downside is it took a few weeks as I had pre-ordered but so worth the wait.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/compare-rtic-45-to-yeti-tundra-45-cooler

Awesome! Thanks everyone for the information.

g00se04

The only downside to the rtic is the waiting game, I ordered a rtic 45 on May 29 with a ship date of June 29. Sometime around June 15th I got a email stating my ship date was pushed back to July 29th. So I ended up buying a yeti 45 so that I would have something to use during the same but still plan on keeping my rtic order and passing that deal on to a friend.

chipper

Here are some pics of the Engel 35 in the back of my jeep with the Aries security deck. It fits with all the stock carpet in. It will NOT clear the locking bar, so you will have to open the lid to put it in and get to it. But it will fit with the lid closed so it will be secure. This cooler doesn't come with any baskets so I ordered 2 from Engel.
So far I'm really impressed with it. I've used it a few times already and it's the perfect size for the wife and I. It is a true 35 quarts.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467405365.717435.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467405379.269565.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467405391.668025.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467405448.392641.jpg

This is after a couple days in direct sun at about 100* here in Fl
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467405563.575780.jpg

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the cabelas polar cap coolers were rated recently as better than yeti . Thinking about picking one up. Price is definitely more reasonable.

scull20

I got a yeti 65 recently. It was too expensive, I bought it anyway. No complaints thus far...and it fits under my Tuffy deck.

Top Bottom