Thinking about a cooler, need some info

swampdog

I just purchased an Outdoor Recreational Company of America (ORCA) 40 qt cooler, but have yet to use it. It consistently beat the Yeti in tests, is 100% made in the USA (unlike yeti and others), and had the best warranty available (lifetime). Also, I scooped mine online from Bed Beth and Beyond and got to use one of those 20% off coupons that comes in the mail almost daily. That saved me 70 bucks.

Last edited:
I just purchased an Outdoor Recreational Company of America (ORCA) 40 qt cooler, but have yet to use it. Is consistency beat the Yeti in tests, is 100% made in the USA (unlike yeti and others), and had the best warranty available (lifetime). Also, I scooped mine online from Bed Beth and Beyond and got to use one of those 20% off coupons that comes in the mail almost daily. That saved me 70 bucks.

Bed bath and beyond with a discount coupon, brilliant!

Bigjimbo

I went with a tan colored Pelican 65QT. The goal was to have a lockable container without spending $500 - preferably dual purpose. I didn't like the yeti specifically because of the latches and handles and I wasn't a fan of the tuffy security deck for price and how it worked to include removal.

I've had it for a year and it stays in my jeep, top on or off, with all my tools (cordless impact and spare 20V batteries, 400p compressor, 20V light and a mix of other items). As for its functionality as a cooler... last year it sat in direct sunlight for 4 days (mid 90's) and was still half full of ice. The only disadvantage I have seen is that I must unzip the rear window to gain access and can't just do it from the tailgate.

Walmart.com had them for $250 at one point. YMMV.
http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/outdoor-heavy-duty-coolers/elite-cooler/standard/65QT/

pelican-strongest-grizzly-bear-proof-cooler.jpg

Last edited:
I looked long and hard at the pelican also. Very good choice. I like how you use yours for tool storage when not using as a cooler. That's a great idea.

May be a dumb question, but what are you guys putting in your coolers other than ice? I have seen some "sub zero" ice packs and was wondering if they are any use. Also have been reading about using ice blocks instead of loose ice. Any truth to these?

Kyle7R

May be a dumb question, but what are you guys putting in your coolers other than ice? I have seen some "sub zero" ice packs and was wondering if they are any use. Also have been reading about using ice blocks instead of loose ice. Any truth to these?

If it's a long trip or weekend, I tend to freeze some bottles or even gallons of water before hand to help keep everything chilled along with bags of ice.

Top Bottom