Thinking about a cooler, need some info

Jelliott28

Guys before you buy a yeti watch all the test all your paying for is the name. I watched videos for a month before making a purchase. There are some man cooler test videos on YouTube it's not even funny. They test all 20 brands of coolers for ice retention. The only one they never show in those videos is the rtic which I've heard it's holds ice but there is a 2 month waiting period when I looked two weeks ago. Just do your research and pick what best.

CC Dad

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467457892.419290.jpg
When we sold my grandparents house I got lucky and found this in their storage building. They were the type to never throw anything away as long as it worked. It was even in the original cardboard box! My dad remembers them using it when he still lived at home. When kept in the shade it will keep ice for days. It's heavy though. I have been thinking about painting the bottom and about 1" of the side with bedliner to make it a little more durable, then painting the rest of it blue to match my jeep. The surface rust is going to continue to get worse if I don't do something. I wish I could figure out some way to save the logo. What do y'all think? Paint it or leave it alone?

toxicwaste29

Any idea where the RTIC coolers are made? Looked on their website and couldn't find it. I trying buying USA when I can

chipper

View attachment 210694
When we sold my grandparents house I got lucky and found this in their storage building. They were the type to never throw anything away as long as it worked. It was even in the original cardboard box! My dad remembers them using it when he still lived at home. When kept in the shade it will keep ice for days. It's heavy though. I have been thinking about painting the bottom and about 1" of the side with bedliner to make it a little more durable, then painting the rest of it blue to match my jeep. The surface rust is going to continue to get worse if I don't do something. I wish I could figure out some way to save the logo. What do y'all think? Paint it or leave it alone?

Very nice find. I think I would do some research on it first, it maybe one of those items that's best to leave like it is for antique value. If that didn't matter to you then yes, paint it up and do what you need to do to restore it. If that logo is a sticker, try to find a sticker company that can replicate it. Take measurements before you take it off so you can put it back in the same spot. Me personally it would keep it, redo it and always have something of my dads. Very cool [emoji106]

chipper

Any idea where the RTIC coolers are made? Looked on their website and couldn't find it. I trying buying USA when I can

Found this on their web site
Where are your coolers made?
Like other major competitors, RTIC products are made in China in order to provide the best quality at the lowest price to you, the consumer. Just like many of the outdoor products you will buy at your favorite sporting goods store; overseas manufacturing is a cost effective way for retailers to provide an affordable product to its customers.

chipper

Thanks! I found that also after some more digging. Looks like I might be sticking with a pelican

Lots of great coolers out there to choose from. I know the Engel I bought is made in Jupiter Fl. My choice was limited on the space I had in the back of the jeep. Seems like Yeti is the big name that everybody compairs coolers to. But so many are better and more cost effective. My brother bought a Ozark Trail from Walmart $147. Works great. Looks just like a yeti

el_chupo_

I got a yeti 65 recently. It was too expensive, I bought it anyway. No complaints thus far...and it fits under my Tuffy deck.

Nice that they updated the design to give some more space. I have the older one with a drop in the security top to help hold stuff in, looks like the new one got a couple of inches of extra space without that included.

Dirt Foot

Lots of great coolers out there to choose from. I know the Engel I bought is made in Jupiter Fl. My choice was limited on the space I had in the back of the jeep. Seems like Yeti is the big name that everybody compairs coolers to. But so many are better and more cost effective. My brother bought a Ozark Trail from Walmart $147. Works great. Looks just like a yeti

Here is a few pics of the Ozark Trail 52 quart that my brother was talking about. I love it so far. I'm not a Yeti fan due to sub par performance compared to others and price. Just my 2 cents. I can buy some more jeep parts with the saving.

Attachments

• 1467516121250.jpg
    1467516121250.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 131
  • 1467516132304.jpg
    1467516132304.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 1467516144536.jpg
    1467516144536.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 131

loscann48

Saw a YouTube review of the Yeti, Ozark Trail, a Magellan, and a Coleman Extreme. Yeti held ice the longest but not much better than the others and was A LOT MORE $$$$. Best bang for your buck was actually the Coleman Extreme, the down side is you can't lock it to keep animals out.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Saw a YouTube review of the Yeti, Ozark Trail, a Magellan, and a Coleman Extreme. Yeti held ice the longest but not much better than the others and was A LOT MORE $$$$. Best bang for your buck was actually the Coleman Extreme, the down side is you can't lock it to keep animals out.

I heard there is a contest to win a free yeti that way you don't have to spend the money

WJCO

Meme King
I heard there is a contest to win a free yeti that way you don't have to spend the money

Yep, but I think one of the conditionss is that you have to act like a big baby and blow up social media with drama. That condition isn't for everyone.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
View attachment 210694

That's cool! If I were you, I'd try to color match the original color, restoring it to its retro glory. Just my two cents.

http://youtu.be/jHp6k2Wae3s

Here's a test. Of course, you really don't know if there was any bias in the test, but it is interesting.

I've seen a handful of these tests. I'm still torn between pulling the trigger on an ARB, which would require me to run wiring and a second battery as well...not exactly required, but its what I would do. Or just buy a Canyon Cooler which holds ice for up to 8 days. Ugh, been pondering this for way too long.

Kyle7R

I've seen a handful of these tests. I'm still torn between pulling the trigger on an ARB, which would require me to run wiring and a second battery as well...not exactly required, but its what I would do. Or just buy a Canyon Cooler which holds ice for up to 8 days. Ugh, been pondering this for way too long.

I think I'm just going to buy a couple of those Ozark coolers, and spend the extra money I saved on ice and beer :beer:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I think I'm just going to buy a couple of those Ozark coolers, and spend the extra money I saved on ice and beer :beer:

Speaking of Ozark Trail, Wal-Mart seems to be out of stock and people are scalping them on eBay.

Top Bottom