My life with a Brick

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Sorry I'm challenged! I don't see a bottom right button but all I have is an iPad, maybe the button is on a computer?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

On the iPad when you tap on a post it brings up a couple of buttons but instead of pressing quote press more and you'll see multi quote. Then select the other post you want to quote and hit reply to bring up the text box with all the quotes in it so you can write your message

JKbrick

On the iPad when you tap on a post it brings up a couple of buttons but instead of pressing quote press more and you'll see multi quote. Then select the other post you want to quote and hit reply to bring up the text box with all the quotes in it so you can write your message

Thank you, I couldn't figure it out

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Ready to sell or mothball Brick

Post a pic of you can. Theres a couple of different styles.

IMG_7636.JPG
These are what I bought, I bought my pro steers used and got part numbers somewhere, been too long to remember. Then I ordered them from McMaster Carr

Edit: the problem is not the zerk I don't think, what I meant to type is the threaded hole in the ball joint seems so close to the "c" that it doesn't let the zerks thread in

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
View attachment 240195
These are what I bought, I bought my pro steers used and got part numbers somewhere, been too long to remember. Then I ordered them from McMaster Carr

Edit: the problem is not the zerk I don't think, what I meant to type is the threaded hole in the ball joint seems so close to the "c" that it doesn't let the zerks thread in

oh yeah, the way they fit, at least what I found out with mine, the flat part of the zerk sits flat on the knuckle (barely enough space for a hair) when pressed all the way in. there is no room to turn the zerk without backing out the ball joint a little.

WJCO

Meme King
Yep. You're right. On mine, they touch.

IMG_20170122_202003_901.jpg

Wonder if you could force them in with an open-ended wrench even if it rounds off the edges a little. In the mean time, you could leave the hole open and use a grease adapter like this to grease it. Then clean it off and cover it with a piece of tape or something.

IMG_20170122_202041_217.jpg

JKbrick

oh yeah, the way they fit, at least what I found out with mine, the flat part of the zerk sits flat on the knuckle (barely enough space for a hair) when pressed all the way in. there is no room to turn the zerk without backing out the ball joint a little.

Yep. You're right. On mine, they touch.

View attachment 240330

Wonder if you could force them in with an open-ended wrench even if it rounds off the edges a little. In the mean time, you could leave the hole open and use a grease adapter like this to grease it. Then clean it off and cover it with a piece of tape or something.

View attachment 240335

Well shit this is not good news, I swear I heard to take them out until after they were pressed in, dang it

jeeeep

Hooked
Do you have any room to turn them? Even if one turn at a time?

I made the same mistake on the 1st one, luckily I tried to put the zerk in after and realized there is no room to even turn it to get it started.

I had to back out the balljoint just a little to get it started and have enough room to turn it.

When you put it in do not seat the zerk in all the way, just until the plastic begins to squish.

JKbrick

Do you have any room to turn them? Even if one turn at a time?

I made the same mistake on the 1st one, luckily I tried to put the zerk in after and realized there is no room to even turn it to get it started.

I had to back out the balljoint just a little to get it started and have enough room to turn it.

When you put it in do not seat the zerk in all the way, just until the plastic begins to squish.

I think I will get that grease adapter WJCO pictured and screw an Allen screw in the hole until I have time to take it apart again. I have 2 friends waiting on me to put on their lifts. I'll have to remember to fix this once my bearings go bad and I tear it apart again. Is there a needle type grease zerk I could install with an Allen wrench?

WJCO

Meme King
I think I will get that grease adapter WJCO pictured and screw an Allen screw in the hole until I have time to take it apart again. I have 2 friends waiting on me to put on their lifts. I'll have to remember to fix this once my bearings go bad and I tear it apart again. Is there a needle type grease zerk I could install with an Allen wrench?

That's a great idea regarding an Allen bolt plug. Hope it works out for you.

EDIT: Check these out. Just googled it. It has a screwdriver fitting, you'd have to make sure the threads were the same though:

http://metrobolt.com/grease-fittings/flush-type-fittings

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
So are you actually supposed to put the zerk fitting in before you press the ball joint in? Also, is this issue only for the bottom ball joint?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Only for the lower. The upper is a standard zerk right on top of the center of the joint and is easy to get to. Here's the instructions for the lower per Dynatrac:

Untitled.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Oh my, those look like they would be perfect! I'll look closer after work. Thank you very much, I appreciate it

If you end up getting them and they work, let me know. That may be something that I just want to keep around for similar situations where I need to install a zerk in a tight area.

JKbrick

If you end up getting them and they work, let me know. That may be something that I just want to keep around for similar situations where I need to install a zerk in a tight area.

Sure will, I will find out what the threads are on the ones I bought are and get some round ones. Then I'll mail you some [emoji106]

JKbrick

WJCO

Meme King
The zerks for the lowers are 1/4 - 28 as far as I can tell, not having luck finding them online yet. Will keep you posted

Thanks. You don't need to send me any, but I do appreciate the offer. If you do find a part that works, let me know the part number. I would like to keep some around.

Top Bottom