TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

Voodoo Actual

As Dennis himself said, IF the their tire carrier breaks, it had to of happen because YOU didn't install it right. If you're okay with being blamed for their substandard $700 product that's supposed to be better than stock breaking, just be sure to keep an eye on it. Of course, it's not as if they haven't installed their own products on their own Jeep and have them fail. :rolleyes2:

As far as what people are doing about this goes, they are installing REAL tire carriers that take the spare OFF the tailgate like they should. EVEN IF the TeraFlex tire carrier were made of kryptonite and would never break, you WILL still destroy your tailgate if you catch your spare on a ledge. The whole thing is a terrible idea and one that so many suckers are buying into.

I'm not saying anything for or against TF. I want to like their products. They are nice people and seem to make a nice product but....it would be hard to argue that they haven't had complaints - on more than one occasion.

The new ARB bumper with tire carrier is only a little more money and it's a better product that has been tested etc.

Last edited:

Voodoo Actual

I just spoke briefly spoke with Off Road Evolution.

Their Evolander has 37's and they are using the factory tire carrier.

Why is it that the factory carrier is holding a 37 fine but the TF products are having so many issues when they are "built" for a bigger and heavier tire?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Why is it that the factory carrier is holding a 37 fine but the TF products are having so many issues when they are "built" for a bigger and heavier tire?

That's a damn good question, isn't it? I mean, who would actually go out of their way to replace something that came with their Jeep with something that costs $700 and is in fact, inferior to it?

GCM 2

Because it has proper spacing between the tire and the tailgate bumpstops, actually meaning there is no spacing. The tire fits tightly against it so there is zero play.

In this photo of me driving EVOLander off the ledge on the trail Steel Bender in Moab, the tire actually hung on the ledge as I dropped off. Mel said just to go ahead, it was going to break the window. I crept as slow as I could while watching the tire flex and push the third brake light into the rear window, but I cleared the obstacle without shattering the glass. EVOLander has made me a believer in the stock carrier.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428604183.443896.jpg

Voodoo Actual

That's a damn good question, isn't it? I mean, who would actually go out of their way to replace something that came with their Jeep with something that costs $700 and is in fact, inferior to it?

Exactly.

I saw a picture of their Evolander playing in Moab so I called them to find out what they are using since I am having...issues...with mine.

I forgot to ask them if they are using any sort of bracket etc, to raise the spare or is it the wheels that are giving the. The appropriate spacing?

Voodoo Actual

Because it has proper spacing between the tire and the tailgate bumpstops, actually meaning there is no spacing. The tire fits tightly against it so there is zero play.

In this photo of me driving EVOLander off the ledge on the trail Steel Bender in Moab, the tire actually hung on the ledge as I dropped off. Mel said just to go ahead, it was going to break the window. I crept as slow as I could while watching the tire flex and push the third brake light into the rear window, but I cleared the obstacle without shattering the glass. EVOLander has made me a believer in the stock carrier.

I get that. Which brings me back to, why is it that the factory carrier is out performing a purpose built product that is said to handle a bigger and heavier package?

Is it those ATX Slabs providing the appropriate spacing?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I get that. Which brings me back to, why is it that the factory carrier is out performing a purpose built product that is said to handle a bigger and heavier package?

Is it those ATX Slabs providing the appropriate spacing?

But really, shouldn't the question be, why are so many people feeling the need to spend $700 on something that isn't any better than stock or worse, sub-standard than stock? Just because someone makes a product that's "supposed to be better" than stock doesn't mean that it really IS.

ttfhell

View attachment 136320

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428604788.201270.jpg Lol

Voodoo Actual

But really, shouldn't the question be, why are so many people feeling the need to spend $700 on something that isn't any better than stock or worse, sub-standard than stock? Just because someone makes a product that's "supposed to be better" than stock doesn't mean that it really IS.

Agreed.

We just need Slabs, Evo shackles in the rear, and the Evo bumper up front for shackles and a winch?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed.

We just need Slabs, Evo shackles in the rear, and the Evo bumper up front for shackles and a winch?

IF my only options were stock or a $700 tire carrier that's not actually better, I would stick with stock. That being said, I have seen way too many buckled tailgates and broken rear glass windows to want to run either. I prefer a bumper tire carrier or a body mounted carrier like what EVO or GenRight make but, that's just me.

Voodoo Actual

IF my only options were stock or a $700 tire carrier that's not actually better, I would stick with stock. That being said, I have seen way too many buckled tailgates and broken rear glass windows to want to run either. I prefer a bumper tire carrier or a body mounted carrier like what EVO or GenRight make but, that's just me.

I'd rather spend less and have my tailgate break then spend a lot and have my tailgate break anyways.

Then again, it already broke. :D

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

View attachment 136320

Wrong picture. That is Chris in his jeep not EVOlander. ;)

Top Bottom