My own JK 'Big Brake' research:

Majik

But Majik is saying that the master cylinder from a 2010-2011 Dodge Nitro (not a Jeep) might be what TF is using in their big brake kit.

From my research, the 2010-11 JK has the same MC part number as the 2012-2013s. It has a 1" bore size. The Dodge Nitro MC is identical except for a 1 1/16" bore, which translates to about ~12% more fluid flow with the same pedal stroke. That happens to be the same number that TF mentions - 12 or 13% more flow (IIRC). Either way, I think the key is that they are using a 1 1/16" MC bore.

With my caliper selection, I don't think you will even have to change MC. The rigidity of a fixed caliper makes it more efficient. If you don't flex the caliper, you don't waste flow and don't need as large of a MC bore. Which is double-good because a smaller MC bore also gives you more hydraulic leverage - You get more pressure at the caliper with less foot effort.

I just got a gorgeous new pair of red powder coated calipers in a Fedex box today :) I'm watching the kids tonight so will try to sneak away and post some pics once they are asleep :)

Majik

I'm sure caliphers are just the elite versions of calipers. You know...like ones they charge you $100 extra for that include stickers for your windows :)

Majik

Thank you for the time you have spent on this....... However...... YOU ARE KILLING ALL OF US!!!!!!! lol..:bleh:

I know...I know... I really am sorry that I have kept you all in suspense. Life sometimes...ok, alot of times.... gets in the way of fun little stuff like this.

BTW, on a separate note... a few people started asking me about pad recommendations. The key is recognizing that you can't get a grippy pad without giving up some pad life and some extra brake dust. Ceramics are exactly NOT what we want for a rig like a Jeep with big tires. Ceramics were developed to make wheels look clean and last 90k miles, but they have, as a rough generalization, the lowest friction coefficient of any pad type. I misunderstood this for years myself until I started this project. We want a non-ceramic pad with a high COLD friction coefficient. That's about it. One major company is releasing an awesome pad for Jeeps any day now and they asked me not to mention it yet until release. And, NO, I'm not getting free shit from them :) They have simply been very helpful with sharing info and details.

Majik

And BTW, I realize that I'm sure there are a few out there that might be able to recognize the caliper application simply by the pic... please try to just smile and nod until I've completed testing and matching the rears...thanks!! :thumb:

jeeeep

Hooked
tell me! I want some now lol

didn't know about ceramics, the ones I have I recall being burned? but anyway they were a big difference in stopping power versus the stock brakes.

With stock brakes I hated that fading feeling when bringing the trailer to a stop, now I don't have to start the stopping process from Oklahoma :doh:

JK4649

Majik, what double eyelet shocks you running? I got 4" lift with 35s, and been looking to convert.

Sent from my S4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Majik

Majik, what double eyelet shocks you running? I got 4" lift with 35s, and been looking to convert.

Sent from my S4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Those are Metalcloak's 6-pack shocks. IMO, well designed and well-built, designed to given great up and down travel in a compact shock. I've been accused of being foolish for trying something...how was it described to me..."gimmicky"... but I'm excited to put them through their paces. And 15 years ago, cell phones were "gimmicky"...lol :yup:

Top Bottom