My own JK 'Big Brake' research:

Majik

No, it's really OK, MAMUT... they aren't bothering me :) I think there may have been one post a ways back where the guy was kinda pissed that I didn't finish the work in like a month. Honestly, though...I am doing this for all of you guys that have been so supportive. Sometimes the time delay is family/hoolidays/etc, sometimes its simply that I have to save up a bit to buy the next trial part or pay for machining. I have a nice stack of trial rotors, calipers, and even a brand new Reid knuckle I machined and then had to go a different direction :( Thank you all for the inspiration to push on... :yup:

espi

No, it's really OK, MAMUT... they aren't bothering me :) I think there may have been one post a ways back where the guy was kinda pissed that I didn't finish the work in like a month. Honestly, though...I am doing this for all of you guys that have been so supportive. Sometimes the time delay is family/hoolidays/etc, sometimes its simply that I have to save up a bit to buy the next trial part or pay for machining. I have a nice stack of trial rotors, calipers, and even a brand new Reid knuckle I machined and then had to go a different direction :( Thank you all for the inspiration to push on... :yup:

I hear you on the time aspect, I have a 17month old that takes up all my free time. I can't wait for him to get out in the garage with me. So I am by no means trying to rush you or waiting for the final product. I just love to see people thinking outside the box and moving in a different direction then the big manufacturers. I also think its important that we support one another in these communities. Especially those trying to help us improve our Jeeps without spending major cash.

JK4649

Well. If it's money you need I know for me I'd be willing to help the cause. You've put enough into this out of your own pocket for the betterment of everyone here. Maybe it's time WE put ours into the betterment of you.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

pvanweelden

So, it will be done next month? :D
Keep up the great work Majik! :thumbup:

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a hammer and another hammer I can come help lol

winter like weather around here is killing my project time, my living room looks like a jeep parts hoarder lives here :beer:

Majik

I have a hammer and another hammer I can come help lol

winter like weather around here is killing my project time, my living room looks like a jeep parts hoarder lives here :beer:

What's wrong with that?? A long time ago, I actually built a living room furniture set out of car part boxes! It was right after college...I can't remember the exact reason, but it had something to do with an issue with the moving truck... Actually used it for like a week!! :beer:

Pimphand

Well. If it's money you need I know for me I'd be willing to help the cause. You've put enough into this out of your own pocket for the betterment of everyone here. Maybe it's time WE put ours into the betterment of you.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I could not agree more. I would be willing to contribute financially for all the hard work , time and money you've invested into this

You could post your Paypal ID allowing those who want to give the opportunity to do so.

Majik Thank You once again.

Last edited:

69mach1

I'm in :yup: $20 here $20 there and parts are paid for :blush: A donation to the cause :rock:

I just went to 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers and would appreciate the extra braking power ;)

I could not agree more. I would be willing to contribute financially for all the hard work , time and money you've invested into this

You could post your Paypal ID allowing those who want to give the opportunity to do so.

Majik Thank You once again.

Majik

You guys are too kind...really! I appreciate the offers, but I'm not going to take your money... I have already had assistance when you all sent me some of your used parts, such as a unit bearing , to make my benchtop mockups simpler. That kind of generosity is greatly appreciated. Taking money just doesn't feel right though. So...just keep motivating me and we will make this a GROUP achievement.

You know, it is this kind of pulling together and teamwork that made me join a forum after I dove into the world of Jeep headfirst. Thanks for the support and encouragement. This is what it's all about!
:clap2: :beer:

69mach1

Life is grand :yup: Please let us know if there's another way to assist , parts, time, etc... as most my budget is limited but still happy to help :thumb: Looking forward to a group "slow down" :bleh:

You guys are too kind...really! I appreciate the offers, but I'm not going to take your money... I have already had assistance when you all sent me some of your used parts, such as a unit bearing , to make my benchtop mockups simpler. That kind of generosity is greatly appreciated. Taking money just doesn't feel right though. So...just keep motivating me and we will make this a GROUP achievement.

You know, it is this kind of pulling together and teamwork that made me join a forum after I dove into the world of Jeep headfirst. Thanks for the support and encouragement. This is what it's all about!

MAMUT

You guys are too kind...really! I appreciate the offers, but I'm not going to take your money... I have already had assistance when you all sent me some of your used parts, such as a unit bearing, to make my benchtop mockups simpler. That kind of generosity is greatly appreciated. Taking money just doesn't feel right though. So...just keep motivating me and we will make this a GROUP achievement.

Let me know if you need a 3D model of anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Buster3479

New here, but just read through this entire thread (long but informative). Awesome work thus far Majik. I just wanted to say that I'm as interested in the finished project as everyone else, and am swapping out my entire front end this weekend (giant bulletproofing project). If you need any used components for mockups, fitment checks, ect, I'm changing pretty much everything over to new and can ship some of the old stuff your way. Keep up the good work, and thanks for what you're doing. :thumb:

Majik

As always, you guys are awesome, and are the reason I'm doing this work.

Minor update: rear setup -

I have been in contact with Dana in an effort to simplify details for the rear calipers. One of the hurdles has been matching a rotor that keeps the same inner parking brake drum diameter and offset relative to the wheel flange. BIG challenge. But, I think I've figured it out. Instead of looking for an upgraded caliper and rotor that matches the existing brake backing plate (the piece with the parking brake mechanism, dust shield, springs, and caliper mounting holes), what if we replaced the entire backing plate?? What I found out is that the 4 bolt flange that is welded to the end of the Dana 44 (rear) axle tube is used for alot of different vehicles. The bolt pattern is unchanged. (for the 4-bolt hold-down plate that holds your axle in and bolts thru the flange) What this means is that I can locate a completely different brake backing plate and still have it bolt up to our axles. Then, you simply use the rotor and caliper that that particular brake backing plate originally was mated to. Then I don't have to go thru the hassle of locating a rear rotor with a compatible parking brake drum diameter to keep our JK parking brakes.

Does that make sense? It's 1:30am here so I'm a little tired...my explanation may suffer a bit :)

On a separate note: brake pads. I have selected the recently released EBC Extra Duty pads. Why?? It gets technical, but as I mentioned a way back in this thread, I was looking for the highest COLD MU (coefficient of friction). This particular pad has a mu of around 0.54 when COLD, and it actually RISES as it warms! This is a quality usually found in race pads...not street / truck / suv pads. Our factory pads are around 0.37 cold, so this is a 50% increase in brake torque, at least by numbers. This is phenomenal. This is like going from our OEM 12" rotor to an (impossible) 18" rotor as far as the brake torque calculations.

There has to be a down side, right?? Well, they are a little dusty, but it's a Jeep, so please, please don't pass this brake increase by because you are worried about your wheels being spotless! Second is price. The technology in this pad is impressive, but you have to pay for it. Looks like a ballpark of $150 for the fronts and $120 for the rears.

I would like to post the EBC part numbers for this pad for STOCK JEEP JK BRAKE CALIPERS:

Front: ED91798
Rear: ED91799

So, for those of you who do not wish to ever do a caliper and rotor upgrade, you can still benefit greatly from a pad like this. As far as the numbers show, it should be a huge upgrade. Now please keep in mind that even I do not yet have my hands on a set of these. I've been in contact with EBC just as an interested consumer and they have been very, very helpful with sharing details of this pad. I reiterate that I have no personal experience yet with this pad, however, based on the research I've done, at this time it appears to be by far the best choice for what my goals of this project are. Right now, this pad is shipping, but just barely, so it will be a few weeks before you see it hit shelves.

Hope this helps a bit. Thanks again to all that are offering their assistance...I'm sure I'll be hitting you up soon! Thanks for reading and listening. I hope this research does some good. Caliper updates soon.

v8_jofes

From a Jeeper across the globe, here in Aus, I'd like to say thank you Majik, for all your time and effort in all your research, and for spending your own $ for the betterment of all of us that want to follow your lead.
To those following this build, we can already see that Majik graciously won't accept donations to refund what he has spent, although I think maybe we could pull together in private, and send him something special, something to say thank you for what he has done. There is at least one member on here that has his address (don't post it publicly) after sending him the unit bearing, so it's not out of the question for us to come together and collectively find something meaningful and heartfelt to thank him for his efforts.

I drive a WJ, but I'm in the process of putting a prorock 44 in the front and JK D44 in the rear, so I have a vested interest in the end result here, as the stock WJ brakes leave a lot to be desired, even when running only 33's, yet I'm planning to squeeze in 35's when I'm done. (My MC is a 1" bore, so whatever works for JK's will work for me :) )

Anyway, keep up the great work mate. I'd rather wait a long time for a good answer, than wait a long time to stop the Jeep..... ;)

Majik

From a Jeeper across the globe, here in Aus, I'd like to say thank you Majik, for all your time and effort in all your research, and for spending your own $ for the betterment of all of us that want to follow your lead.
To those following this build, we can already see that Majik graciously won't accept donations to refund what he has spent, although I think maybe we could pull together in private, and send him something special, something to say thank you for what he has done. There is at least one member on here that has his address (don't post it publicly) after sending him the unit bearing, so it's not out of the question for us to come together and collectively find something meaningful and heartfelt to thank him for his efforts.

I drive a WJ, but I'm in the process of putting a prorock 44 in the front and JK D44 in the rear, so I have a vested interest in the end result here, as the stock WJ brakes leave a lot to be desired, even when running only 33's, yet I'm planning to squeeze in 35's when I'm done. (My MC is a 1" bore, so whatever works for JK's will work for me :) )

Anyway, keep up the great work mate. I'd rather wait a long time for a good answer, than wait a long time to stop the Jeep..... ;)

Honestly, no 'gift' is needed! I enjoy the project. I appreciate the sentiment, but gifts aren't necessary. There are alot of others on forums doing their own mini projects like this so this one is no different. Different topic, but same result: more safety and fun for us all!

You made my day just by calling me 'mate'!! LOL! Way cool... Australia is on my list to explore someday...and not just the tourist attractions. I wonder how much it would cost to ship my Jeep over there for a month?? Hmmm... :D

jeeeep

Hooked
thanks majik...I started looking for those brake pads and even some vendors weren't aware..definitely will give them a try

Flyer

Thanks for the info, majik. I used Black Magic pads on my JKR when I went the 35s. The difference was quite huge and I loved them. Yes, more brake dust too (I don't care about something that silly). I am getting ready to lift my new 2014 JKUR, and may try these, though they are at least a month out. Has anyone else tried the Black Magic brake pads?

Latitude25

Today while watching Power Nation on Spike (formerly PowerBlock) there was an EBC commercial that mentioned the Extra Duty pads, so hopefully they will be more available soon.

Not to be a pest or anything Majik, but I'm sure we are all anxiously awaiting any new developments. Thanks for all your hard work on this! :D :2thumbsup:

Flyer

Per EBC, it may be another 2-3 weeks. I could not wait and got the Black Magics again. Went through a break-in process this morning and may do that again sometime tomorrow. When they start to wear out, I'll try these EBC Extra Duty pads.

Top Bottom