My own JK 'Big Brake' research:

Md_rubi

I have rock jock 60. This mod was originally performed by another jker but he sold his jk before I could get the template for the brackets and the size of the spacer.

The calipers are from 2006-2008 Ram 1500 ( this is the year range I was given by napa). The pads are napa's top of the line pad (they have 3different level). I want to be able to get these parts from any store.
The calipers did not come with mounting bolts and napa does sell them. I could have gotten them from the dealer but they were like $50 for the set and I wasn't sure they were the correct length.

The spacers and the bracket mounting bolts were too long, so the bolts we ordered and new spacers were made.

The rock jock came with 13" rotors and as you can see the calipers are mounted perfectly. It did stop lot better then the factory calipers but the peddle feel was about the same. I am hoping the bigger bore mc will take care of that.

Next week, I am going to see if this setup will work on factory Dana 30 with the 13" rotors. I am also going to start looking at the rear brake setup but the rotors are going to be an issue.

jmetzEOD

I have rock jock 60. This mod was originally performed by another jker but he sold his jk before I could get the template for the brackets and the size of the spacer.

The calipers are from 2006-2008 Ram 1500 ( this is the year range I was given by napa). The pads are napa's top of the line pad (they have 3different level). I want to be able to get these parts from any store.
The calipers did not come with mounting bolts and napa does sell them. I could have gotten them from the dealer but they were like $50 for the set and I wasn't sure they were the correct length.

The spacers and the bracket mounting bolts were too long, so the bolts we ordered and new spacers were made.

The rock jock came with 13" rotors and as you can see the calipers are mounted perfectly. It did stop lot better then the factory calipers but the peddle feel was about the same. I am hoping the bigger bore mc will take care of that.

Next week, I am going to see if this setup will work on factory Dana 30 with the 13" rotors. I am also going to start looking at the rear brake setup but the rotors are going to be an issue.

Can you give me the dimensions of the adapter? Maybe trace it out and label pertinent dimensions and hole spacing, how thick is it how thick are the spacers and what diameter? Going to try to make some. If it works we win! Are they steel or aluminum? Looks like steel but can't really tell. Thanks in advance.

snopro

Banned
brave soul running that size tire on a 44. :beer:

RCV's- ProSteers - Guesseted-Sleeved
Actually we have 2 guys running 40's on built 30's
I think though most our group don't get on the rocks and spin and ram out jeeps. We all know we are pushing it with that large of tire on undersized axles.

Last edited:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Can you give me the dimensions of the adapter? Maybe trace it out and label pertinent dimensions and hole spacing, how thick is it how thick are the spacers and what diameter? Going to try to make some. If it works we win! Are they steel or aluminum? Looks like steel but can't really tell. Thanks in advance.

I don't really think you can compare his RJ60 to your D30/44 for specific measurements like that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Majik

Sorry that I haven't had updates in a while. I have just gotten busy with alot of family stuff recently.

I honestly feel that the key to a truly powerful, reliable kit that will work well with the factory master cylinder (which is hard to replace due to space issues) is to use a FIXED caliper. Not a floating caliper. The other part, that alot of people are missing, is that you have to match the front to the rears. I'm almost there. The rears are tough because you have to match the caliper to the rotor, but also use a rotor that will still fit the factory parking brake assembly. OR... find a whole new parking brake backing plate that will bolt into the D44 axle flange, but with a new size parking brake/rotor combo. The adapter for the caliper is the easy part :) I had to get in contact with Dana directly to get help in hunting other applications with a matching backing plate bolt pattern. That took FOREVER!

One other guy on the thread recently posted the Ram 1500 caliper setup. That's what the overseas military-oriented Jeep J8 build uses, and it's no doubt an improvement! But it's still a floating caliper... and my experience with trial runs with a fixed 4-piston caliper are like night and day - it's hard to describe how solid it feels with the fixed caliper. Plus, I worry that the Ram 1500 caliper is really too much bore size for our factory master cylinder. Not to mention, the rears haven't been matched for proper front to rear bias. That's a big thing that, IMO (which may not be worth a shit) people are forgetting. The Ram 1500 fronts compared to our puny rears really, really throw the bias off. (that means that the fronts do so much work, the rears really have little function in slowing during hard stops). I hesitated in adding this paragraph, because I honestly, truly didn't want to come across as bashing the other guy's work. I think it's freakin awesome that someone is having fun doing this research like I am! I just wanted to inspire further thought on part choices... and discussion is what this is about, right? :thumb:

I'm glad to see this has inspired others to think about it, though. I just can't emphasize enough, though, that brakes are systems, and one component swap affects other parts, and therefore the big picture has to be seen to really get benefits, AND to keep things SAFE. Thus why this has taken me so friggin long :)

Anyway... the other half of the issue is how to release the final results without getting myself into a liability issue. I've received alot of PMs that got quite political, and some have even told me that when I release my results, some other forum members are planning to snag the idea, and market the kit. Kinda defeats the purpose of my research... to give an off-the-shelf parts list to everyone wanting to build it themselves. It kinda left a bad taste in my mouth, having to deal with so much politics :( ... But, alas, I'm going to continue on. I will WELCOME anyone that finds a better suggestion, or new ideas!! Who knows...maybe I'm going about it all wrong. If so, please show me why so I can refocus.

Here's the key points on the project so far, for summary:
- Keep factory master cylinder. No need for larger if more rigid calipers used. Can't fit larger in tiny Jeep underhood area, anyway :)
- 4-piston FIXED, NON-FLOATING calipers front and rear
- have settled on roughly 13.25" front and rear rotors. Down from original 14". Little loss of brake torque, but fits nearly any aftermarket 17" rim now.
- utilize pads with highest COLD friction coefficient available. HUGE increase in braking here. Often ignored point. Just don't expect 'low dust' pads :)
- machined caliper adapter for front
- rears: will most likely NOT need caliper adapter because will utilize entirely new parking brake backing plate that matches the new caliper.
- pad compound is chosen and mentioned a while ago. EBC also will make the same line of pads to fit the NEW calipers, as well

I hope my slow project progress hasn't pissed anyone off. Life sometimes gets in the way of things like this. Let me know if anyone has suggestions on how to release this project info, once a concrete parts list is assembled, without getting myself sued or liable if someone doesn't install it correctly. That's kinda my biggest hurdle now. I started this as a fun, personal project, designed to be released for DIY type folks to have an economical and fun upgrade to the safety of their Jeeps. I just wanna keep it that way, if possible...

Thanks for your encouragement, and to those adding their own work!!:thumb:

Majik

He could have said goodbye!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sorry :( Didn't mean to leave you guys hangin :) I couldn't be THAT rude, as to leave without a goodbye, after all the kind words and support you all have shown!!!! Life just got in the way for a while... my apologies....

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
So am I right in saying that the only component of the system you're building that's not off-the-shelf is the front caliper bracket? I agree with you on the fixed calipers. I had a turbocharged Japanese sedan prior to my Jeep with 4 piston Brembo's in the front and 2 piston rears that could stop on a dime.

I do hope you choose to release the information at some point, even if it's by PM. I'm in a very similar boat to yourself. I'm planning to run 37's on my daily driver and I also have to drive my son to day care every day. I need to make sure my family's safe. I wouldn't consider taking your work and selling it to others with my name on it. In fact, your work here inspired me to perform another pay-it-forward act for a fellow Jeeper. Not saying this for kudos, but rather to keep you motivated and focused on the reason you began sharing all this work in the first place.

Md_rubi

I don't really think you can compare his RJ60 to your D30/44 for specific measurements like that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

My bracket I fabricated is specific to currie 60 with their 13" rotor. The bracket needs to mount to the axle then you also need the mounting holes for the calipers. I've tried many calipers and non are direct bolt ons. This was originally performed by another person but I had to redo all of the fabrications to be the calipers to mount on the rotors perfectly. This took about a week of trial and error, not to mention getting the correct tools. Honestly, no matter what calipers you choose, you'll need to get a bracket fabricated to clear the larger rotors. I'm talking to a company to get these brackets made for fellow currie owners

jmetzEOD

I realize a pro rock is a different. It originally sounded like he was saying he had ram brakes on his JK. I didn't realize he had Ram brakes on his JK with a pro rock. I can make the bracket work for a 44 if any one has dimensions I will just measure my 44 to get that hole spacing. Need thickness and spacer size.

pastorwug

Sorry that I haven't had updates in a while. I have just gotten busy with alot of family stuff recently.

. . . . . Not to mention, the rears haven't been matched for proper front to rear bias. That's a big thing that, IMO (which may not be worth a shit) people are forgetting. The Ram 1500 fronts compared to our puny rears really, really throw the bias off. (that means that the fronts do so much work, the rears really have little function in slowing during hard stops).

I hope my slow project progress hasn't pissed anyone off. Life sometimes gets in the way of things like this. Let me know if anyone has suggestions on how to release this project info, once a concrete parts list is assembled, without getting myself sued or liable if someone doesn't install it correctly. That's kinda my biggest hurdle now. I started this as a fun, personal project, designed to be released for DIY type folks to have an economical and fun upgrade to the safety of their Jeeps. I just wanna keep it that way, if possible...

Thanks for your encouragement, and to those adding their own work!!:thumb:

Glad you're back! :clap2:

Regarding brake bias - how is it that TF gets away with adding such a larger rotor surface and piston surface without changing Brake bias? Seems to me the bias would change immensely with the addition of their kit.

I almost pulled the trigger on the TF BBK just this past weekend - going to hold off now in the hope of a better kit with better performance and perhaps better brake bias?

turbineguy

Anyway... the other half of the issue is how to release the final results without getting myself into a liability issue. I've received alot of PMs that got quite political, and some have even told me that when I release my results, some other forum members are planning to snag the idea, and market the kit. Kinda defeats the purpose of my research... to give an off-the-shelf parts list to everyone wanting to build it themselves. It kinda left a bad taste in my mouth, having to deal with so much politics :( ... But, alas, I'm going to continue on. I will WELCOME anyone that finds a better suggestion, or new ideas!! Who knows...maybe I'm going about it all wrong. If so, please show me why so I can refocus.

Unless you are selling a product, liability shouldn't be anymore of an issue that the guy who posts a build thread showing how they built their own roll cage, or the thousands of people that post opensource 3-D printer designs.

As far as people taking your ideas, packaging it, and reselling it... you could probably take out a patent on the idea to prevent commercial use of it, but then you might stifle any further research/improvement of your ideas (this is one of the reasons the opensource software community doesn't prevent commercial companies from using their work).

Still, if anyone chose to pay a premium for a "package" instead of doing it themselves, well, that's capitalism. As long as the concept was "opensourced" any consumer could just DIY.

Finally, having just realized that since I have aftermarket axles, I'm probably not going to benefit from your research, I still think it's awesome that you have spent so much time and effort... and you have certainly educated myself (and a lot of people) on the fundamentals and intricacies of braking systems. We are all better consumers thanks to you.

Kudos man.

BumpStick

Any updates on anything? I hope all is well. I read all 64 pages and have been following the progress. My concern isn't about the brakes. It's been over a month and haven't seen a post.

P33J_JK

I looked recently and didn't find any selling those specifically, they have other versions available for the JK.

finnd1

Side note. . . . Anybody find a vendor selling those pads??

haven't found that model but I have been very happy with their Yellow Stuff pads. Found them on Amazon Prime for about the cheapest I have seen, $111.xx for the fronts IIRC

Top Bottom