Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
No, dude with his wife and kid that tried to take Nevada and California back roads in the middle of a snowstorm because 80 was closed. He got the pleasure of enjoying a 40 mile walk in the snow.

Too many idiots think they can handle Nevada terrain. It's sad really, that it takes death before people realize.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Too many idiots think they can handle Nevada terrain. It's sad really, that it takes death before people realize.

Yep. The place I camped last weekend was not that far from the Stolpas' little adventure. Not a very forgiving place in the cold of winter or heat of summer.

RedRum

Reading through this and just my opinion is that rock crawling vs overland builds differ by how you spend your money and what things are the most important ... Yea there are builds that can do both well but on a budget there are def things that someone who wants to go play in the comp course at RC would want opposed to someone who wants to get lost in the woods and take small trails on weekends ...

TheStick

I change my tires depending on the terrain, the roof rack comes on and off, because it only works for certain trails. If I know I am going on a long distance trip, I replace my LCA's with drop brackets. It's all just a matter of what you plan to do with your Jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Reading through this and just my opinion is that rock crawling vs overland builds differ by how you spend your money and what things are the most important ...

Apparently, you didn't read through the WHOLE thread.

Yea there are builds that can do both well but on a budget there are def things that someone who wants to go play in the comp course at RC would want opposed to someone who wants to get lost in the woods and take small trails on weekends ...

There's a lot more out there than "comp courses" at an east coast off road park and if you're just wanting to get lost up in the woods, I find it hard to understand why you'd need a snorkel, spare gas cans or a Snowpeak kitchen set to do that. But hey, that's just me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I change my tires depending on the terrain, the roof rack comes on and off, because it only works for certain trails. If I know I am going on a long distance trip, I replace my LCA's with drop brackets. It's all just a matter of what you plan to do with your Jeep.

What do you do if you need to go on a long distance trip AND need to take on really technical terrain?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug

I would really put a vote in to ditch the brackets. If you are set up right, there is no need for them. And the monkey motion of changing them in/out just opens the door of opportunity to mess something up.

I recently ditched my AEV brackets at the recommendation of Eddie and I am very glad that I did. I was able to dial in my caster/pinion with a set of EVO lowers and I haven't been able to notice a difference.

TheStick

I would really put a vote in to ditch the brackets. If you are set up right, there is no need for them. And the monkey motion of changing them in/out just opens the door of opportunity to mess something up.

I recently ditched my AEV brackets at the recommendation of Eddie and I am very glad that I did. I was able to dial in my caster/pinion with a set of EVO lowers and I haven't been able to notice a difference.

I forgot to put in the sarcasm brackets on that last post.

WMPhoto

One of the "Overlanding" trips this summer...
It wasn't really about the technical aspects of the trails... It was about getting out there exploring and getting back without any help...
Basically what everybody does almost every time they hit the trails...
I've always just thought of it as car camping... The jeep just gets us farther than a normal car.
_MG_1875.jpg
_MG_1939.jpg
_MG_1941.jpg
_MG_1886.jpg
_MG_1887.jpg
_MG_1897.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
One of the "Overlanding" trips this summer...
It wasn't really about the technical aspects of the trails... It was about getting out there exploring and getting back without any help...
Basically what everybody does almost every time they hit the trails...
I've always just thought of it as car camping... The jeep just gets us farther than a normal car.

Great pics. Pretty area.

Top Bottom