Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

Kyle09Rubi

Fred

No need to send a PM just post them here. If you've been doing it for so long you should have some older pictures.

And no lockers and winches are not necessary unless you are going during the winter when there is 10 feet of snow on the ground. Again that is not an expedition.

And for the record here is my proof to back up your bullshit.

View attachment 144047

So that is a motor vehicle definition.

View attachment 144048

Oh ok it's NOT permitted.

View attachment 144049

Damn, can't even go faster then 25. I can go 150 mph in the desert out here if my rig were capable of that.

View attachment 144051

Oh ok it is only permitted on designated ROADS. Guess we can call them trails for a lack of a better word, like road.

I don't get hung up on whether to call these routes either roads or trails...there are places that are hard to get to in NY, by foot or by vehicle.

The regulations you posted don't really prove anything. I said there are areas that are off the beaten path and are worth exploring by vehicle in the Adirondacks...if you truly lived there and never visited those areas yourself, then I'd say you wasted your time.

Also, you seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room...there is no off-roading or rock crawling in the ADK park in the traditional sense, because you can't physically drive off the roads (too many trees). The only physical way to move through that terrain is to clear out a surface wide enough to allow vehicles to travel through (also known as a road).

Anyways, I'll be sure to send you a few pics when I get up there during the summer. You and the few dozen people who frequent this amazing forum, be sure to buckle up and stay safe!

Spudcannons

I love the Old Mojave Road and it's definitely a trip you should take your time and do in multiple days just as you have to really enjoy it but honestly, you can do the whole thing in about 6 hours (with the right suspension) and on one tank of gas - if not just barely if you really wanted to. How do I know, I have done it. Also, a ham radio is NOT necessary but nice to have, that or a race radio. Of course, if you maintain a radio relay, you can do just fine with CB's. While I have seen a few rigs hydro-lock in Afton Canyon, a snorkel is NOT needed to cross the deep water there even in a stock JK. You just need to be smart about it.

What band is a race radio?

SteelBadger

Anyways, I'll be sure to send you a few pics when I get up there during the summer. You and the few dozen people who frequent this amazing forum, be sure to buckle up and stay safe![/QUOTE]

Does this mean you are done Fred? Fred? Frrrrrreeeeed?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't get hung up on whether to call these routes either roads or trails...there are places that are hard to get to in NY, by foot or by vehicle.

The regulations you posted don't really prove anything. I said there are areas that are off the beaten path and are worth exploring by vehicle in the Adirondacks...if you truly lived there and never visited those areas yourself, then I'd say you wasted your time.

Also, you seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room...there is no off-roading or rock crawling in the ADK park in the traditional sense, because you can't physically drive off the roads (too many trees). The only physical way to move through that terrain is to clear out a surface wide enough to allow vehicles to travel through (also known as a road).

Anyways, I'll be sure to send you a few pics when I get up there during the summer. You and the few dozen people who frequent this amazing forum, be sure to buckle up and stay safe!

Now your saying you can't offroad in the Adirondacks? So you've changed you statement over the past 24 hours. I'm glad to know you've put your foot in your mouth.

Have a nice day.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The mini-van for sure :thumb:

I'll have to ask my dad if I can borrow it. Might be tight being that he can't go two days without golfing so not sure that would leave enough time to 'overland' through the Adirondacks.

There is an offroad park, with trails and rock crawling no "overlanding". We can "overland" up my long steep driveway(will probably need a few jerry cans as it goes through Canada and back down :cheesy: ) then go about 45 min from my house in the ADK if you are around the Lake George area with your jeep.

I will not have my jeep. I live in Southern California and am only going to the area to visit family.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparis...eh3=200478056|suv&show=0&comparatorId=2309081

Edmunds tells me the Dodge Mini Van is good for overlanding. Excellent choice Overlander. :thumb:

It's also good for holding four or more sets of golf clubs, grocery shopping and hauling the kids to school and soccer practice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Well, if these trails of yours aren't illegal to run, how about you post up what they are called and where one can find them on a map. Certainly, being that they're all in a State Park, you should be able to do that. :yup:

Well, YOU are the one who found us and felt the need to post up on it so I guess it really is an amazing forum. Thanks for adding to our numbers. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, I've been looking at maps of the Adirondacks and I'm still trying to figure out where you would need a snorkel or maybe even need to carry extra gas. Seems like there are gas stations everywhere and I couldn't find a single place where you'd have to do a water crossing of any depth. :idontknow:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So, I've been looking at maps of the Adirondacks and I'm still trying to figure out where you would need a snorkel or maybe even need to carry extra gas. Seems like there are gas stations everywhere and I couldn't find a single place where you'd have to do a water crossing of any depth. :idontknow:

There are no water crossings.

You might need extra gas if you put your jeep in park and just keep your foot on full throttle. That's the only time I could think you would need it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm also willing to bet that there is nothing at the end or in-between, on these "roads" you are talking about. No old ruins with a cool history, no abandoned building, no fossils to dig up, and no point to it all other than some nice landscape photos. Lame.

This "I explored a rarely explored place" stance is weak to say the least.

There is some cool stuff. I just dug through the archives and found this. Lol

This was taken in the spring of 2008 while we were "exploring" the state lands. This guy needed a snorkel for sure.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432064357.489291.jpg

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
There is some cool stuff. I just dug through the archives and found this. Lol

This was taken in the spring of 2008 while we were "exploring" the state lands. This guy needed a snorkel for sure.

View attachment 144074

Lol I don't doubt it. The brief time I spent in NY (rockland county I think) last year was awesome. I do look forward to making it back there, I just hope I avoid dudes like Fred. :crazyeyes:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Have you ever heard of Mary's River Ranch?

Not specifically, but I have certainly passed over Mary's River plenty of times on I-80. Looks like the ranch is north of I-80 in between Elko and Wells. Great country up there. If you like to fish, Wilson and Wildhorse reservoirs outside of Elko are outstanding.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Elko County, Nevada covers about 17,000 sq.mi. (almost twice as big as the entire state of Vermont). Yet, Elko has just over 52,000 residents compared to Vermont's 626,000+ people. The elevation variation in Elko is over 7,000 feet (up to 11,387 feet above sea level). In the entire state of Vermont, the elevation variation is only about 4,300 feet (up to just 4,393 feet above sea level.) If I drive 20 minutes from my house, I climb more than 4,400 feet.

Look, I'm not knocking the East Coast. I'm sure there are some great places to wheel and visit. But don't come on this forum and act like you are this badass "overlander" because you drive on some logging roads in a state park. There are many, many places in Nevada (and throughout the West) in which a vehicle breakdown would mean DAYS of walking on foot to get help.

I live on the East coast so I am qualified to say....the east coast sucks a fat one in all aspects with the exception of food. As far as jeeping/wheeling/overlanding east vs west coast, it's not even a contest. Reading Eddie's threads, there is basically a single comparable thing to find on the east coast, and that's the ghost trains in Maine.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I live on the East coast so I am qualified to say....the east coast sucks a fat one in all aspects with the exception of food. As far as jeeping/wheeling/overlanding east vs west coast, it's not even a contest. Reading Eddie's threads, there is basically a single comparable thing to find on the east coast, and that's the ghost trains in Maine.

Agreed, that's why I got the fuck out of there...!!!

Top Bottom