Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

Elko County, Nevada covers about 17,000 sq.mi. (almost twice as big as the entire state of Vermont). Yet, Elko has just over 52,000 residents compared to Vermont's 626,000+ people. The elevation variation in Elko is over 7,000 feet (up to 11,387 feet above sea level). In the entire state of Vermont, the elevation variation is only about 4,300 feet (up to just 4,393 feet above sea level.) If I drive 20 minutes from my house, I climb more than 4,400 feet.

Look, I'm not knocking the East Coast. I'm sure there are some great places to wheel and visit. But don't come on this forum and act like you are this badass "overlander" because you drive on some logging roads in a state park. There are many, many places in Nevada (and throughout the West) in which a vehicle breakdown would mean DAYS of walking on foot to get help.

Are you from Elko? I've visited their before, beautiful place.

Negative ghost rider. I've driven a mini van and other cars through the Adirondacks. Post some pictures to prove it.

You are making yourself sound more and more like the dumb fuck that you are.

I should place a call to one of my dads good friends who is with DEC or a friend I went to high school with who is also with DEC and ask them if you can Offroad in the Adirondacks. Maybe record their answer.

You can't just drive into any old part of the Adirondack forest with a vehicle:

A) because its illegal.

B) because the trees and vegetation is too thick to allow vehicles through (at least without a whole lot of chainsawing).

There are certain trails designated for ATV and snow-mobile use.

There are certain roads/trails/whatever you want to call them (unimproved surfaces) that do allow vehicular travel and go through remote parts of the park. Due to infrequent maintenance and seasonal weather (snow, rain) these roads do require 4wd, locking diffs, and winches at times to get through them....so, in that sense, there are parts of the park worth exploring with off-road, 4wd rigs.

I know people in the DEC and local LE as well...unlike you, I don't try and name drop to try and inflate my importance in front of others.

Edit: and if you want pics, send me a PM later this summer. I'll be happy to indulge you.

Fred sounds like a cast member from the cartoon 'over the hedge'

char_89684.jpg

Meet Fred, King of the Adirondacks

Elko County, Nevada covers about 17,000 sq.mi. (almost twice as big as the entire state of Vermont). Yet, Elko has just over 52,000 residents compared to Vermont's 626,000+ people. The elevation variation in Elko is over 7,000 feet (up to 11,387 feet above sea level). In the entire state of Vermont, the elevation variation is only about 4,300 feet (up to just 4,393 feet above sea level.) If I drive 20 minutes from my house, I climb more than 4,400 feet.

Look, I'm not knocking the East Coast. I'm sure there are some great places to wheel and visit. But don't come on this forum and act like you are this badass "overlander" because you drive on some logging roads in a state park. There are many, many places in Nevada (and throughout the West) in which a vehicle breakdown would mean DAYS of walking on foot to get help.

If you recall, this happened back in 2011 when a Canadian couple got deep into the Nevada wilderness on their way to Vegas using back roads. Her husband died trying to go for help and she wasn't found until 49 days later and just still alive.

What if this Fred guy is performing some sort of initiation for a new hardcore JKO gang? :dont_tell:

I don't belong to the other JK forums, but I did found it entertaining that there were other jeep groups that had a problem with the way that this forum conducts itself.

I'm also willing to bet that there is nothing at the end or in-between, on these "roads" you are talking about. No old ruins with a cool history, no abandoned building, no fossils to dig up, and no point to it all other than some nice landscape photos. Lame.

This "I explored a rarely explored place" stance is weak to say the least.

Go check out the ADK park before you knock it.

A) because its illegal.

At least you are being honest now about your adventures.

There are certain roads/trails/whatever you want to call them (unimproved surfaces) that do allow vehicular travel and go through remote parts of the park. Due to infrequent maintenance and seasonal weather (snow, rain) these roads do require 4wd, locking diffs, and winches at times to get through them....so, in that sense, there are parts of the park worth exploring with off-road, 4wd rigs.

When you have a over weight, under built, overlanding rig you are going to experience problems no matter what the "road" conditions are. :crazyeyes:

I know people in the DEC and local LE as well...unlike you, I don't try and name drop to try and inflate my importance in front of others.

So what you are saying is that OverlanderJK can back up all of his claims. You, cannot.

I just returned from a 3-day long trip on the Mojave Road (an old wagon-train supply route from the Colorado River to an old fort north of Barstow). I would describe this route as "overland". But, since I live near the Rubicon trail, I built m jeep for crawling. Given what I know now, I would of changed a couple of things for an overland trip such as the mojave road:
- more gas!! I added a jerry can holder to my rock hard tire carrier, but should of really gone for two of them
- a ham radio. Unlike taking 20 rigs up the rubicon in a line, on overland trips, you may not see another group in time
- internal water bladder/pump (like I've seen on some safari vehicles) would be really nice
- a snorkel: I was in water up to my doors. Would of felt better with the air intake up higher
- terrain-appropriate recovery gear: soft sand requires a trail jack base, etc
lastly, be sure people know where you are, what our route is, and when you're expected back

A) because its illegal.

B) because the trees and vegetation is too thick to allow vehicles through (at least without a whole lot of chainsawing).

There are certain trails designated for ATV and snow-mobile use.

Edit: and if you want pics, send me a PM later this summer. I'll be happy to indulge you.

No need to send a PM just post them here. If you've been doing it for so long you should have some older pictures.

And no lockers and winches are not necessary unless you are going during the winter when there is 10 feet of snow on the ground. Again that is not an expedition.

And for the record here is my proof to back up your bullshit.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432062096.286605.jpg

So that is a motor vehicle definition.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432062118.712629.jpg

Oh ok it's NOT permitted.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432062141.477887.jpg

Damn, can't even go faster then 25. I can go 150 mph in the desert out here if my rig were capable of that.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432062184.978448.jpg

Oh ok it is only permitted on designated ROADS. Guess we can call them trails for a lack of a better word, like road.

...unlike you, I don't try and name drop to try and inflate my importance in front of others.

No, you just go around on forums you don't even like as if you're some kind of off-road messiah and just to tell everyone there how narrow minded and wrong they are.

Looks like you were right OverlanderJK. The guy is full of it. :rolleyes2:

I don't belong to the other JK forums, but I did found it entertaining that there were other jeep groups that had a problem with the way that this forum conducts itself.

The reason other forums have issues with us, is because Wayalife is much more than just another Jeep forum. We are a community. We look out for each other and don't appreciate it when others bash fellow members or what we're about. If you have a problem with that, we'll be happy to ensure that the door firmly smacks you while you're walking out.

Better yet I will be in the area for two weeks in July. I would love for you to show me some "offroading" trails there.

Just know that I will only have one of three vehicles to drive. Just tell me which one to bring.

Dodge mini van
Chevy Equinox
Chevy Silverado 1500

Better yet I will be in the area for two weeks in July. I would love for you to show me some "offroading" trails there.

Just know that I will only have one of three vehicles to drive. Just tell me which one to bring.

Dodge mini van
Chevy Equinox
Chevy Silverado 1500

This got me! Hilarious my friend.

I just returned from a 3-day long trip on the Mojave Road (an old wagon-train supply route from the Colorado River to an old fort north of Barstow). I would describe this route as "overland". But, since I live near the Rubicon trail, I built m jeep for crawling. Given what I know now, I would of changed a couple of things for an overland trip such as the mojave road:
- more gas!! I added a jerry can holder to my rock hard tire carrier, but should of really gone for two of them
- a ham radio. Unlike taking 20 rigs up the rubicon in a line, on overland trips, you may not see another group in time
- internal water bladder/pump (like I've seen on some safari vehicles) would be really nice
- a snorkel: I was in water up to my doors. Would of felt better with the air intake up higher
- terrain-appropriate recovery gear: soft sand requires a trail jack base, etc
lastly, be sure people know where you are, what our route is, and when you're expected back

I love the Old Mojave Road and it's definitely a trip you should take your time and do in multiple days just as you have to really enjoy it but honestly, you can do the whole thing in about 6 hours (with the right suspension) and on one tank of gas - if not just barely if you really wanted to. How do I know, I have done it. Also, a ham radio is NOT necessary but nice to have, that or a race radio. Of course, if you maintain a radio relay, you can do just fine with CB's. While I have seen a few rigs hydro-lock in Afton Canyon, a snorkel is NOT needed to cross the deep water there even in a stock JK. You just need to be smart about it.

Dodge mini van
Chevy Equinox
Chevy Silverado 1500

The mini-van for sure :thumb:

Dodge mini van
Chevy Equinox
Chevy Silverado 1500

There is an offroad park, with trails and rock crawling no "overlanding". We can "overland" up my long steep driveway(will probably need a few jerry cans as it goes through Canada and back down :cheesy: ) then go about 45 min from my house in the ADK if you are around the Lake George area with your jeep.

Top Bottom