GraniteCrystal build thread

GraniteCrystal

I can never seem to get away from that awesome place without spending some money lol! Did you get anything exciting?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Perhaps...
This happened to me last week on one of the hinge nuts on my psc tire carrier. I have to remember to retorque them every few months. Glad that sucker didn't fall apart on ya!

Yeah, apparently I need to be checking those periodically. I had visions of the whole rack falling off the back.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

GraniteCrystal

Black Friday 2016

Dropped some dough at Trail Jeeps on the Black Friday sale this year. It's just impossible to say no to those prices. So, here is what I have ordered up. Huge thanks to Wes and Tim for the great prices, driving me around in multiple Jeeps to feel the different options, and sending countless emails back and forth. These guys went out of their way to make sure I ended up with the right parts and it's hugely appreciated. So thankful to have them just up the road and a part of this forum.

Rather than just list the parts, I thought I'd share my rationale for ordering these parts in hopes that it helps someone else who's trying to decide.

For a lift, I'm going with the 3.5" JKS JKonnect (http://jksmfg.com/i-24048352-jspec-...system-2007-2017-jeep-wrangler-jk-4-door.html). I wavered back and forth between this and the Enforcer for a long time. Ultimately, you can't go wrong with either. My ability to drive the JKonnect and know what I'm getting in combination with Wes' expert advice drove to me go with JKS. I also like the idea of a dual rate coil over a linear rate coil. Now, within the JKS JSpec there are 3 basic configurations: JSpec, JKontrol, JKonnect with the prices going up from left to right. The JKontrol has brackets for your lower control arms that effectively make it feel a bit more like a long arm kit. By lowering one end of the control arm, it's more horizontal, meaning that less force is applied in the vertical direction and up into your seat. It definitely feels a little more plush. The downside to that is that there is a bit more body roll IMO. Wes took me out in a JKontrol and a JKonnect and through some corners at a speed I would never go in my Jeep currently. The JKonnect really felt more connected to the ground and handled those curves flawlessly. Additionally, it comes with some really beefy lower control arms which can take more offroad abuse. In coordination with the JKonnect, I'm going with the Fox 2.0 shocks with reservoir. It's great to know that the Fox shock is tuned to work with the JKS system so the two will work really well together. I'm going with the reservoir shocks because they'll be a nicer ride (especially when going fast) and they can be rebuilt/revalved (recommended every 10k miles when 50% street/50% offroad) for much cheaper than new shocks. I like the idea of maintaining nicer shocks than having to replace cheaper shocks every couple years.

Other part we ordered was kind of a surprise order for me. My wife is due with our second child in March and she brought up getting some EVO Sliders. I had showed her a picture one of you posted a month or so back of the sliders taking the brunt of the impact in a car wreck and I guess it really stuck with her. Now that we'll have two kids, one will be near the door and the other in the center. Turns our EVO sliders not only keep you off rocks and give you a nice step, but make your pregnant wife feel like her baby will be safe too. :thumb:

So, that's where we stand. I'll stay on my 33's and will just keep saving for the next chunk. That will include re-gearing ($1000), Pro-grips ($1000), and 37s ($1400) as well as a few supporting items (programmer, etc). Probably wheel it this summer on 33s and save for next Black Friday to drop more cash at Trail Jeeps!

Napalm

Dropped some dough at Trail Jeeps on the Black Friday sale this year. It's just impossible to say no to those prices. So, here is what I have ordered up. Huge thanks to Wes and Tim for the great prices, driving me around in multiple Jeeps to feel the different options, and sending countless emails back and forth. These guys went out of their way to make sure I ended up with the right parts and it's hugely appreciated. So thankful to have them just up the road and a part of this forum.

Rather than just list the parts, I thought I'd share my rationale for ordering these parts in hopes that it helps someone else who's trying to decide.

For a lift, I'm going with the 3.5" JKS JKonnect (http://jksmfg.com/i-24048352-jspec-...system-2007-2017-jeep-wrangler-jk-4-door.html). I wavered back and forth between this and the Enforcer for a long time. Ultimately, you can't go wrong with either. My ability to drive the JKonnect and know what I'm getting in combination with Wes' expert advice drove to me go with JKS. I also like the idea of a dual rate coil over a linear rate coil. Now, within the JKS JSpec there are 3 basic configurations: JSpec, JKontrol, JKonnect with the prices going up from left to right. The JKontrol has brackets for your lower control arms that effectively make it feel a bit more like a long arm kit. By lowering one end of the control arm, it's more horizontal, meaning that less force is applied in the vertical direction and up into your seat. It definitely feels a little more plush. The downside to that is that there is a bit more body roll IMO. Wes took me out in a JKontrol and a JKonnect and through some corners at a speed I would never go in my Jeep currently. The JKonnect really felt more connected to the ground and handled those curves flawlessly. Additionally, it comes with some really beefy lower control arms which can take more offroad abuse. In coordination with the JKonnect, I'm going with the Fox 2.0 shocks with reservoir. It's great to know that the Fox shock is tuned to work with the JKS system so the two will work really well together. I'm going with the reservoir shocks because they'll be a nicer ride (especially when going fast) and they can be rebuilt/revalved (recommended every 10k miles when 50% street/50% offroad) for much cheaper than new shocks. I like the idea of maintaining nicer shocks than having to replace cheaper shocks every couple years.

Other part we ordered was kind of a surprise order for me. My wife is due with our second child in March and she brought up getting some EVO Sliders. I had showed her a picture one of you posted a month or so back of the sliders taking the brunt of the impact in a car wreck and I guess it really stuck with her. Now that we'll have two kids, one will be near the door and the other in the center. Turns our EVO sliders not only keep you off rocks and give you a nice step, but make your pregnant wife feel like her baby will be safe too. :thumb:

So, that's where we stand. I'll stay on my 33's and will just keep saving for the next chunk. That will include re-gearing ($1000), Pro-grips ($1000), and 37s ($1400) as well as a few supporting items (programmer, etc). Probably wheel it this summer on 33s and save for next Black Friday to drop more cash at Trail Jeeps!

This is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see the results.

Ddays

Hooked
Looks like a nice kit. I have the Fox reservoir shocks - they work well. Love to see the install pics!!

GraniteCrystal

Congrats on all! :thumb:

Looks like a nice kit. I have the Fox reservoir shocks - they work well. Love to see the install pics!!

This is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see the results.

Thanks guys! I'm really excited to have this milestone in the life of the Jeep.

GraniteCrystal

My Rubicon springs, shocks, lower control arms, and sliders will all be for sale. All in good shape including the sliders. 40k miles on everything. Let me know if anyone interested. I'll throw up a for sale thread but wanted to throw it out to my build subscribers first 😉

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Awesome! I was wondering what you bought after you posting a trip to Trail Jeeps the other day to just tighten up your rack lol.
Congrats on kid #2

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Congrats on the upgrades! I've recently purchased some JKS components and I'm looking forward to installing them in the next weekend or two. I did go with the EVO 3" coils though. They simply got too many rave reviews around here to pass up and I'm coming from some pretty stiff Teraflex coils and didn't want anything close to those. I'll be looking forward to seeing pics and hearing your thoughts after the upgrades!

GraniteCrystal

Good deal! When is it all going on?
Soon. Meeting Wes tomorrow to get all the parts. As you know, we only have one car right now though so I can't take the Jeep out of commission for long. Probably try to crank it out over a weekend.
Congrats on the upgrades! I've recently purchased some JKS components and I'm looking forward to installing them in the next weekend or two. I did go with the EVO 3" coils though. They simply got too many rave reviews around here to pass up and I'm coming from some pretty stiff Teraflex coils and didn't want anything close to those. I'll be looking forward to seeing pics and hearing your thoughts after the upgrades!
Yeah, I hear you. It was a really tough choice for me. I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Most people are going to love the lift they have mostly because they haven't ridden in very many other ones, ride is 100% subjective, etc (myself included) so I don't think either of us will be disappointed. Congrats on your new stuff too!

Bunz-o-fun

"Honey, the sliders will protect our family from a side impact, but 37s will protect us from front and rear impact."
That's your pitch! Why wait until next Black Friday when you can still get 37s in the next 3 hours during cyber Monday! :)
Congrats on the additions to the family and the rig!

GraniteCrystal

Nice! Can't wait to see it, and you definitely got me thinking on Christmas lights on the rear tire

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
I can't wait either. It's gonna look a little funny still on 33s but I knew this would be a slow process on my budget.
"Honey, the sliders will protect our family from a side impact, but 37s will protect us from front and rear impact."
That's your pitch! Why wait until next Black Friday when you can still get 37s in the next 3 hours during cyber Monday! :)
Congrats on the additions to the family and the rig!
Exactly! It really is funny though: these things get not so great scores in collision tests (lightweight, removable doors and top don't help) but you throw on a steel front bumper, steel rock rails that are welded on, and a sport cage and they become pretty darn bullet proof. Not to mention bigger tires so you stay above the fray 👍

Mtb275

I can't wait either. It's gonna look a little funny still on 33s but I knew this would be a slow process on my budget.

Exactly! It really is funny though: these things get not so great scores in collision tests (lightweight, removable doors and top don't help) but you throw on a steel front bumper, steel rock rails that are welded on, and a sport cage and they become pretty darn bullet proof. Not to mention bigger tires so you stay above the fray [emoji106]

I thought mine was going to look strange on stock wheels and tires, but it's not too bad. I did have to scramble and get wheel spacers. When I installed new rear upper control arms, my wheel/tire wouldn't fit in because the tire was against the upper control arm.
IMG_1587.JPG

GraniteCrystal

I thought mine was going to look strange on stock wheels and tires, but it's not too bad. I did have to scramble and get wheel spacers. When I installed new rear upper control arms, my wheel/tire wouldn't fit in because the tire was against the upper control arm.
View attachment 232548

Thanks for the pic! I've been curious what it'll look like.

Thankfully got wheel spacers already.

Also ordered the angled Evo sliders. Good thing we got different color Jeeps! Am I the only one who thinks it's lame when I see another Jeep that looks like mine?

Top Bottom