3.8 or 3.6

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Is the reliability issues with the 3.6 worth the extra HP over the 3.8?

Sure the 3.8 is an oil burner but I haven't heard of that many engine failures as the 3.6..

JeepFan

Hooked
My 09 has 112000 miles on the clock and still running strong. Burns about a 1/2 qt of oil every 3000 miles.

Time will tell what our 2015 3.6 will do. Fingers and toes crossed.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I know a lot of guys say the 3.8 is junk but I have been nothing but happy with it. My 2010 has about 90K miles and still runs great and (crossing my fingers) doesn't burn any oil. Sure I would love more power but it's still got enough to get the job done. I figure when it kicks the bucket I'll be better off swapping a LS than trying to sell and rebuild a newer Jeep.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Is the reliability issues with the 3.6 worth the extra HP over the 3.8?

Sure the 3.8 is an oil burner but I haven't heard of that many engine failures as the 3.6..

I would say yes..........If you can minimize the amount of dust/dirt being sucked into the motor and stick with 2014-2015 3.6's to stay away from the head problem they had early on in the 2012-2013 motors you shouldn't have an issue with the 3.6 it's built pretty stout for a 6 banger in my opinion......I'm going to keep mine till whenever it dies and then switch over to an LS motor.....

~Woodrow~

Spudcannons

I would say yes..........If you can minimize the amount of dust/dirt being sucked into the motor and stick with 2014-2015 3.6's to stay away from the head problem they had early on in the 2012-2013 motors you shouldn't have an issue with the 3.6 it's built pretty stout for a 6 banger in my opinion......I'm going to keep mine till whenever it dies and then switch over to an LS motor.....

~Woodrow~

My thoughts exactly! Run the 3.6 into the ground then LS! Or maybe a Cummins 4BT. :hmm:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We put on well over 100,000 miles on Moby's old 3.8L and honestly, I don't think it burned hardly any oil at all. Like Tony, maybe half a quart every 3k. I love the extra HP the 3.6L puts out but so far, it doesn't seem to be lasting as long. As you know, we burn about a quart every 1,000 miles now but then, we do have almost 80,000 miles on the odometer and of course, Chrysler says this is normal :rolleyes2:

07JKSahara

I have a 3.8 with 87k. It burns very little oil now that I run Mobil 1. It's not fast, but honestly it's a jeep. :). The 3.6 runs hotter and and more rpms, IMO there's a trade off of longevity there. You're welcome to take mine for a spin anytime if we're close.

jeeeep

Hooked
2010 120000 miles, was using just over a qt between 6000 mile changes but the rear main seal was leaking.

hasn't used any oil since repairing the rear main seal. still running strong. unless Jeep comes out with a diesel in the next year, I'm keeping it and doing LS swap in time.

my daughter wants my Jeep as her 1st vehicle but if I end up keeping it, i'll get her a 2014 because I do think the shifting is so much smoother on the newer models.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I have a 3.8 with 87k. It burns very little oil now that I run Mobil 1. It's not fast, but honestly it's a jeep. :). The 3.6 runs hotter and and more rpms, IMO there's a trade off of longevity there. You're welcome to take mine for a spin anytime if we're close.

I've had both motors, I'm currently looking shopping for another JK. I'm just trying to decide if the 3.6 is worth the extra money.

07JKSahara

I've had both motors, I'm currently looking shopping for another JK. I'm just trying to decide if the 3.6 is worth the extra money.

Fair question. To me it's not. Wife has a 2014, I have 2007. I'm not in any huge rush to get rid of the jeep with the 3.8. And you're right, it's a significant cost increase. Good luck in the search!

I haven't had a 3.8 but I have no faith in my 3.6 lasting even to 100K.

My last Jeep with a 3.6 barely made it to 8,000 before it got a new head and never ran good afterwards.

Charles

I had a 2010 Jk with the 3.8. I personally hated the power on it and once i drove a 3.6 it was over. I ordered a stock 2014 to build and started making my wishlist. I didn't want to spend any more money on a build that i wasn't happy with the power at the end. My plan is drive the 3.6 until it dies no matter if it last 80k or 150k and do the swap. By the then the build and foundation for the LS will be complete.

dyn0mitemat

Thats kinda what I was thinking
Mines got a 3.8 with 65k on it and it runs fine (no oil burnage), and I drove my buddies with a 3.6 in it for a few hundred miles (both same tire size/gearing and relative weight rigs) and while it had a bit more pep to it, I don't see the 3.6 being worth the premium they're carrying in the market right now.

My JK on 37's and its POS 3.8 is still plenty faster than the plymouth sundance I had years ago lol

edit:
Both were 6MT's

Last edited:

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I've had both and honestly the real difference is between the 42re and the wa580. While the reliability of the 3.8 vs the power of the 3.6 may be debatable, the 4 speed vs the heavier 5 speed is no question. Unless you see yourself going LS in the near to mid future where the trans is getting tossed out anyways.

Hot94Z28

I have a late build 2013 3.6 and have been very happy with it. It has plenty of power and have not been burning any oil and I have 37,000 miles on mine. I would definitely stay away from 2012/early 2013 models.

jeepnjoe

I am new to having the 3.8 in my 2010 Sport.
Highway driving in 6 gear, it will slow down on the hills.
Other than that, the motor is quiet and smooth, and she runs great.

Recurve

mine is a 08 with 92,000 miles. Burns a little oil, I had it doing 90mph with 37s the other day. I would say shes still doing good lol

Top Bottom