03 Rubicon lockers

thardy

Banned
well i just got my quote for new gears, lockers and a compressor to run it all. 4477.00 :eek: so at this point i am at a loss for words. i knew this was gonna be a big expense but i was hoping it would be in the 2500 to 3000 range. i guess the tj is down for the count for a while, I will be trying to find a different way i suppose. :icon_crazy:

Who did you get the quote from?

swampdog

parts were as follows
1300 lobor
789 for locker x 2
297 for gears x 2
199 for install kits x 2
600 for compressor

essentially offroad
feel that i am getting the shaft on this one:naw:

Call Jody with CAROLINA Axle & 4x4 in Asheville NC. He installed my rear locker, regeared front and rear, and installed new rear shafts (really no extra work there) for $500 labor. His work was flawless. Your gearing should be $600 for parts out the door for front and rear including rebuild kits. Locker prices seem reasonable. If budget is an issue, do you really need the twin ARB compressor? The small single ($150) will power lockers just fine, but OBA will be useless.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
parts were as follows
1300 lobor
789 for locker x 2
297 for gears x 2
199 for install kits x 2
600 for compressor

essentially offroad
feel that i am getting the shaft on this one:naw:

Actually, that's pretty competitive for a lot of shops. If you look around, you might be able to knock down some labor on the gears, but it won't be a ton. ORE in CA does both axles regeared for 999.00 parts and labor which is amazing. I think most shops are closer to 1500 parts and labor (excluding lockers obviously). Good luck.

kep01

Call Jody with CAROLINA Axle & 4x4 in Asheville NC. He installed my rear locker, regeared front and rear, and installed new rear shafts (really no extra work there) for $500 labor. His work was flawless. Your gearing should be $600 for parts out the door for front and rear including rebuild kits. Locker prices seem reasonable. If budget is an issue, do you really need the twin ARB compressor? The small single ($150) will power lockers just fine, but OBA will be useless.

i will give them a call, thanks for the info. and that was with the little compressor. i almost had a stroke when he told me. but i understand these guys trying to make a living but man that quote sucked. :grayno:

swampdog

i will give them a call, thanks for the info. and that was with the little compressor. i almost had a stroke when he told me. but i understand these guys trying to make a living but man that quote sucked. :grayno:

He small compressor is like $150 I think. Anyways, Jody is the man and will take care of you. Even if you get parts cheaper elsewhere, his labor is unbeatable.

Jody Treadway

Good to talk with you yesterday Matt. Going with ARB or Zip will be a long term fix for your OEM locker issues.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Good to talk with you yesterday Matt
I just emailed you a quote a few minutes ago.

Thanks again

Jody, Welcome to WAL. Your shop has been well-recommended by members here, but please contact admin about participation on the forum. You must be a paying advertiser to participate on the forum.

Jody Treadway

Jody, Welcome to WAL. Your shop has been well-recommended by members here, but please contact admin about participation on the forum. You must be a paying advertiser to participate on the forum.

I edited my post and sig to accommodate the rules. I didn't realize they were taken as such...
My apologies.

I'll gladly participate in tech forums and give advice and real world experience to help out.

WJCO

Meme King
I edited my post and sig to accommodate the rules. I didn't realize they were taken as such...
My apologies.

I'll gladly participate in tech forums and give advice and real world experience to help out.

Thank you for doing that. Please re-visit the rules just so you clear on what is allowed.

Jegar

while at the end of summer event at windrock the limited slip part in my rear diff decided to crap out and it also messed up the locker. so now i am in the process looking for a different approach other than the stock lockers. im thinking of going with yukon zip lockers front and rear but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions?

So, it is possible to run a locker and limited slip together? I thought it wasn't possible??? Specifically, I have the OEM LSD with my Willys Wheeler edition JK and want a rear locker, but haven't added it, because I thought it was one or the other (and I stubbornly haven't wanted to give up my LSD that came with the Jeep.).

@chuck_slayton

It is possible, the JK rubicon rear is a LSD until the button is pushed creating a full locker! I'm not 100% sure on the TJ so I won't comment! I've had a ton of luck with ARBs in my old TJ so I would recommend that from my personal experience.

kep01

It is possible, the JK rubicon rear is a LSD until the button is pushed creating a full locker! I'm not 100% sure on the TJ so I won't comment! I've had a ton of luck with ARBs in my old TJ so I would recommend that from my personal experience.

the tj is a limited slip with a locker just like the jk. however the rear locker is weak because of that feature.

@chuck_slayton

the tj is a limited slip with a locker just like the jk. however the rear locker is weak because of that feature.

I assumed it was but without being 100% I didn't want to comment on the TJ! When my break in my JK and out of warranty I'll do ARB for sure!

Jegar

Thanks![emoji106]🏻

AZMikeD

So, it is possible to run a locker and limited slip together? I thought it wasn't possible??? Specifically, I have the OEM LSD with my Willys Wheeler edition JK and want a rear locker, but haven't added it, because I thought it was one or the other (and I stubbornly haven't wanted to give up my LSD that came with the Jeep.).

Auburn Gear sells a locker like this. I have a factory LSD in my LJ and am in the same boat where I don't want to give up my LSD when locking the rear. However, I can't speak to the quality or longevity of the Auburn locker. Just one I found when researching this topic.

I haven't decided which direction to go yet but subcribed to this thread to hopefully learn a bit more. Good luck!

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Jumping in on this to ask about OX. I'm in the process of adding lockers as well and one shop is pushing the air actuated OX over arb. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Top Bottom