2016 Rubicon Hard Rock

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I was not aware of this what all does it involve? The only thing I purchased was the AFE y pipe. I was wondering what the loop in the exhaust was even there for anyways.
The loop is for equal back pressure on both exhaust banks. The main purpose of the loop delete is that the loop can come into contact with some long-arm suspension systems. I would just get a new aftermarket drive shaft then you won't have to worry about any exhaust clearance issues. I'm just running the exhaust spacers since I have yet to replace my front driveshaft.

sponnythegr8

The loop is for equal back pressure on both exhaust banks. The main purpose of the loop delete is that the loop can come into contact with some long-arm suspension systems. I would just get a new aftermarket drive shaft then you won't have to worry about any exhaust clearance issues. I'm just running the exhaust spacers since I have yet to replace my front driveshaft.

Since the Mopar stage 3 lift is a short arm lift I wouldn't think control arms would be an issue in my situation. I had the understanding that the only clearance issue was where the y pipe crosses in front of the t-case and the drive shaft while flexing. With that being said the y pipe reroutes down the right side between the gas tank and the t-case and then crosses over behind the cross member thus doing away with this conflict point. I am not sure if this mod alone changes back pressures enough to worry about or not. What are your thoughts?

sponnythegr8

Since the Mopar stage 3 lift is a short arm lift I wouldn't think control arms would be an issue in my situation. I had the understanding that the only clearance issue was where the y pipe crosses in front of the t-case and the drive shaft while flexing. With that being said the y pipe reroutes down the right side between the gas tank and t-case and then crosses over behind it thus doing away with this conflict point. I am not sure if this mod alone changes back pressures enough to worry about or not. What are your thoughts?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I don't think the back pressure will be affected with just the Y-pipe. As a lot of others would suggest, replace your front driveshaft with an aftermarket instead of spending money on the Y-pipe. This way your gaining the clearance and getting rid of the problematic front factory shaft (the factory shaft is problematic when running a lift).

sponnythegr8

I decided to get the windows tinted yesterday here's some before and after pics. I went with 35% in the front doors ( which is as dark as we are allowed to go in North Carolina) and 20% in the rear doors and the side windows of the top. I did not do the rear window of the top because of the rear defroster I've seen too many issues there. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 1450357879880.jpg
    1450357879880.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 1450357897949.jpg
    1450357897949.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 199

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Since the Mopar stage 3 lift is a short arm lift I wouldn't think control arms would be an issue in my situation. I had the understanding that the only clearance issue was where the y pipe crosses in front of the t-case and the drive shaft while flexing. With that being said the y pipe reroutes down the right side between the gas tank and the t-case and then crosses over behind the cross member thus doing away with this conflict point. I am not sure if this mod alone changes back pressures enough to worry about or not. What are your thoughts?

Now with hindsight, I could have skipped the exhaust altogether and just replaced my front driveshaft as was mentioned here. But I always found the tone of the stock exhaust to be sub-par so I'm happy I did replace everything. You might be able to delay the purchase of a new double cardan driveshaft for awhile though with just the y-pipe mod, but it doesn't hurt to upgrade anyway.

sponnythegr8

Now with hindsight, I could have skipped the exhaust altogether and just replaced my front driveshaft as was mentioned here. But I always found the tone of the stock exhaust to be sub-par so I'm happy I did replace everything. You might be able to delay the purchase of a new double cardan driveshaft for awhile though with just the y-pipe mod, but it doesn't hurt to upgrade anyway.

I think that is probably the direction that I am going to take because I would also like to have a little better sound quality from the exhaust. I have been trying to do a little research to make sure that I don't impose a negative effect on my horse power or low end torque by decreasing the back pressure too much. At this point I think I am going to go with the AFE exhaust along with the Y pipe mod. I will try to get a little bit of use out of the factory driveshaft and then probably upgrade them in the future. Thanks for your input.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I think that is probably the direction that I am going to take because I would also like to have a little better sound quality from the exhaust. I have been trying to do a little research to make sure that I don't impose a negative effect on my horse power or low end torque by decreasing the back pressure too much. At this point I think I am going to go with the AFE exhaust along with the Y pipe mod. I will try to get a little bit of use out of the factory driveshaft and then probably upgrade them in the future. Thanks for your input.

Sounds like you're on the right path. Glad to help. The AFE exhaust is pretty quiet but sounds a lot better at idle and I think it sounds good when you really get on it.

sponnythegr8

Sounds like you're on the right path. Glad to help. The AFE exhaust is pretty quiet but sounds a lot better at idle and I think it sounds good when you really get on it.

There were two different versions of their exhaust that I was looking at one appears to have a 14 inch muffler the other a 22 inch muffler. I'm sure the 14 inch muffler would probably give a better sound quality but not sure if the reduction in back pressure would be too great. And then at some point I'm sure I need to do a CAI upgrade. $$$

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
There were two different versions of their exhaust that I was looking at one appears to have a 14 inch muffler the other a 22 inch muffler. I'm sure the 14 inch muffler would probably give a better sound quality but not sure if the reduction in back pressure would be too great. And then at some point I'm sure I need to do a CAI upgrade. $$$

I wouldn't say you need to do a CAI. In fact if you think you might see any water crossings, I'd leave it alone. (We just don't see the same dust they see out west so that's not even a concern for us) Unfortunately there are horror stories out there about how quick Chrysler will void your warranty based on one. If anything, you may just want to consider a drop in K&N filter and keep your stock box.

If you do decide to go for it anyway, just hang onto your stock intake and swap it back in if you do have any warranty work.

sponnythegr8

I wouldn't say you need to do a CAI. In fact if you think you might see any water crossings, I'd leave it alone. (We just don't see the same dust they see out west so that's not even a concern for us) Unfortunately there are horror stories out there about how quick Chrysler will void your warranty based on one. If anything, you may just want to consider a drop in K&N filter and keep your stock box.

If you do decide to go for it anyway, just hang onto your stock intake and swap it back in if you do have any warranty work.

Point well taken, that is all that we done to my sons 2006 LJ so that is probably all I will do to mine for now. Thanks for the advice.

sponnythegr8

Temporary addition to the rig for the holidays. Hope everyone has a Merry Xmas and that Santa puts lots of Jeep parts under you tree. #itsajeepthing

Attachments

• 1450534716445.jpg
    1450534716445.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 204
Point well taken, that is all that we done to my sons 2006 LJ so that is probably all I will do to mine for now. Thanks for the advice.

I haven't looked closely at the air box on the new Jeeps so I don't know if this will work, but on our diesel Rams my dad and I both cut some extra holes on the air box we cut them on the side next to the grill to force more air in. Got some extra MPGs that way. Poor man's cold air intake.

sponnythegr8

I haven't looked closely at the air box on the new Jeeps so I don't know if this will work, but on our diesel Rams my dad and I both cut some extra holes on the air box we cut them on the side next to the grill to force more air in. Got some extra MPGs that way. Poor man's cold air intake.

I heard that. Lol (Jeep owner = Poorman)

sponnythegr8

Well that's the second time that's happened in less than a week. Lol

Attachments

• 1452135225592.jpg
    1452135225592.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 154

KICKROX

Looking good! I have a Tank color 2015 Hard Rock with the same Mopar Stage 3 Lift Kit... I'm getting ready to order a set of 8 Adjustable Lower Control arms for mine. Took it to the Rubicon last August and had an absolute blast.. :beer:

sponnythegr8

Looking good! I have a Tank color 2015 Hard Rock with the same Mopar Stage 3 Lift Kit... I'm getting ready to order a set of 8 Adjustable Lower Control arms for mine. Took it to the Rubicon last August and had an absolute blast.. :beer:

What made you decide to do adjustable LCA'S if you don't mind me asking?

Top Bottom