2dr vs 4dr

Ant's JK

I'm currently thinking about trading in my 2dr sport with 3.5" lift, rear locker and 4.56 ratio. My question is if the 4dr is worth the extra space. I was quoted 30k for a new sport 4dr with a 4.5" lift and 3.73 ratio. I love my 2dr but space is becoming a tad bit short in it.

JKRicky

I recently made the same decision back in May due to needing the space. I also had a decent amount of money already invested in my 2dr and was really afraid that I would regret the trade. I can honestly say that I have not once regretted the decision to get the 4dr even though I'm starting over on mods. Best of luck!

Ant's JK

Thank you for that information. I am about 3k in mods in it but still to trade it for the room may out weight that

JKRicky

I was at about 8k so it was hard decision BUT with that said, it was my first Jeep so I learned what mistakes I made in my decisions on products. So now I have an opportunity to build my new Jeep with much better knowledge, mostly learned from this forum. Live and learn!

JKMag

I had a JK 2 door that I traded in on a 2014 JKUR and one of the reasons was the need for extra space. This is my only vehicle and you really don't have much room behind the seats to carry "stuff", less so if you need to use the back seats on a 2 door.

I will say I love the looks of the 2 door but the 4 door handles better down the road, more so when its windy, about the same gas mileage, and the extra room (I had 5 full tires in the back without any problem).

If I had to do it again i would, no regrets... well maybe that i couldn't afford both.

Ant's JK

I am an outdoorsman so I need the space for all my gear so I think I'll see what I can get for my jeep especially because its fairly new.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm currently thinking about trading in my 2dr sport with 3.5" lift, rear locker and 4.56 ratio. My question is if the 4dr is worth the extra space. I was quoted 30k for a new sport 4dr with a 4.5" lift and 3.73 ratio. I love my 2dr but space is becoming a tad bit short in it.

Coming from a guy who's owned a CJ, a TJ and even a 2-Door JK, yeah, a 4-door is well worth it and it is the reason why I own 2 of them.

JKWrang

Omg absolutely. I had a 2 door and now a 4 door. At first i swore up, down, left, right and sideways that a 2 door was a Jeep and that 4 doors looked weird.

Then i test drove a Rubicon Unlimited (they didnt have my sport on the lot and I already knew what a Sport drove like... just not the manuals as i had an auto).

I am so glad i did. I was hooked at the dramatic difference in interior room. Previously I had barely enough room for a box with 2 - 10" subs and now i can lay down from head to toe in the back with the seats down and fit without curling up. Im not tall but im not short (5'10")

Pull the trigger. Do it. Dont look back. Welcome to life with Unlimited.

Ant's JK

Thanks guys very much all this input really helps. I just hope I get a good chunk of money for my trade in

JKWrang

Depends on your jeep and the dealer. Make sure you shop around. I got 3 offers for my 2 door. 10.5 k twice amd 13+k at a dealership i wound up at near my work. Granted it was an RHD but i only paid 14K for the Jeep 2 years prior.

Let that sink in. An RHD which can be really hard to sell traded in for almost cost for a 4 door unlimited 6 speed. I made out like a bandit because Wranglers hold their value. So if it's well kept, shop around, take notes and get your value out of the competition.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have been thinking about this and keeping some things off my jeep, but I think its over modded to even trade it in anymore.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Add in another vote for the 4 door. I went from a 4 door SUV to a 2 door Golf back to a 4 door JK. I will never give up the space of a 4 door again...

Napalm

I have nothing against 2 doors as I've owned three of them, but get the 4 door.

The looks, wheelbase, practicality and extra space are just 4 of the many reasons.

Photo persuasion.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416936624.680565.jpg

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I wanted a Jeep since I was a teenager. When I finally got out of college and started making enough money, I was really close to buying a then 1 year old TJ Rubicon. After taking it home and driving it for a weekend, I took it back on Monday and ended up with an extended cab Silverado. The space was way too limited for my needs. With hunting, fishing, and plans to start a family, the 2 door Wrangler wouldn't do. When the 4 doors came out, I got excited, but couldn't afford one at the time. I'm glad I waited for the '12s to come out for all the reasons most here know too well. Bought my '12 JKUS in April '12 and couldn't be happier. I think the 4 door Wranglers were the best idea Chrysler has ever had. Nothing against 2 doors at all, but when you have a family, I couldn't imagine getting a couple car seats in the back of one. :twocents:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have a two door and have more then enough room for two people to go out for a week. It's all about how you pack and not packing unneeded crap. Hell I can fit everything for two people and have a 35" spare inside the jeep. If you have more then two people get a four door.

That being said I do hate that the two door has zero cargo space with the seat in. I was it was a little longer or they made something like the LJ. Also my next jeep will be a four door when the new ones come out.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I have a two door and have more then enough room for two people to go out for a week. It's all about how you pack and not packing unneeded crap. Hell I can fit everything for two people and have a 35" spare inside the jeep. If you have more then two people get a four door.

That being said I do hate that the two door has zero cargo space with the seat in. I was it was a little longer or they made something like the LJ. Also my next jeep will be a four door when the new ones come out.

Agreed...back when I was looking at the TJ, I searched and searched for an LJ, couldn't find one anywhere in my area. If I could've found one, I definitely would've bought it :yup:

I talked my wife into a 4dr when we got out 13', but all she said was I want a 2dr, so I bought her one.... Now she admits that she likes the 4dr better :crazyeyes:

As Overlander said, I wish there was something in the middle with about a 110-112" WB. (I know the LJs were 102 but I still think this is a tad short.)

Top Bottom