2dr vs 4dr

Ant's JK

Just as an update my jeep was appraised @22k without the 35s and the new 2015 jku with a 4.5" lift is 31k. Any thoughts on if that's a decent price.

el_chupo_

Is it the lift you would install if you bought it stock? If not, waste of $$.

After running 35s with 4.56 gears, do you want to drop down to 3.73's for the same tires?

Do you want to roll the lift cost into the financing of a new Jeep?

Personally, I would consider selling and buy a stock Sport or whatever you want, and then put on my own lift and regear. If you are spending the cash, get what you want, not what the dealer got the best margins on.

Around me a new Sport starts around 26.5, and a new or 2014 rubi with low miles comes in around 34-35.

el_chupo_

It is the lift I would install. Where I'm from a stock rubi new goes for about 40k

If it is the lift you want, it may make the most sense. but consider buying a one way ticket and take a Friday off work, then drive home.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Willys+Wheeler]][]]&listingId=378905668&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Willys+Wheeler]][]]&listingId=387570550&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Willys+Wheeler]][]]&listingId=380579587&Log=0

Last edited:

Ant's JK

I think I came to a conclusion on the 4dr.Just for some further information could I just get some more pros and cons of the 4dr vs 2dr

Rayz

I think I came to a conclusion on the 4dr.Just for some further information could I just get some more pros and cons of the 4dr vs 2dr
....well how about the kind of wheeling you do? some trails/obstacles the shorter wheelbase may be better.. whereas on others the 4 door rocks, I like my short wheelbase, but then i've never wheeled a four door my understanding is for somethings its better but i have no experience there..anyone?

jman_12

I love my 2 door, don't care how popular they are or not... It's awesome and I didn't need the extra space with 4 doors

KingCopperhead

Noticed you're an east coast guy. From what I've seen so far, two doors get around a little easier in the tight woodsy stuff that is common in the terrain for this part of the country. Nothing against 4 doors, but I prefer my shorter wheelbase for the terrain out here.

holy_crap

The 2dr has the advantage in two areas and both are mostly for when you are off road, and that is turning radius and break over angle, and the latter can be easily fixed with a lift and bigger tires, so that leaves the only advantage being the turning radius. That's it, the 4dr wins everything else.

I also came from a TJ and now on my second JKU. Loved how sporty the TJ felt, but I would never own a 2dr Jeep as my only vehicle any more. I understand the 2dr guys loving their rig, it works for them, but honestly we have not had anyone here say that they went from a 4dr to a 2dr and loved it. I have seen the most elite of Jeep purists, and I mean TJ and YJ guys, who made fun of my first JKU calling it a minivan, eat their words when they drove and eventually got a JKU. One got the JKU as his second vehicle and left his TJ as the off road rig, now he doesn't even use his TJ and is keeping the JKU for both. That tells you something right there.

JKMag

I really like the half doors (just not a good choice for MN) on that one for under 30k and thats a good price if you want to hand shake your gears. I even kinda like the color, though I would put on a different soft top but dang..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
....well how about the kind of wheeling you do? some trails/obstacles the shorter wheelbase may be better.. whereas on others the 4 door rocks, I like my short wheelbase, but then i've never wheeled a four door my understanding is for somethings its better but i have no experience there..anyone?

Trust me, I have owned and wheeled both and the only place where a 2-door has the advantage over a 4-door is when them bone stock or close to it. Once you start lifting your JK and adding big tires, the 4-door owns a 2-door on everything. In fact, to make the 2-door I had BETTER, I had it stretched to the point where the wheel base was just shy of a 4-door and then it rocked.

The 2dr has the advantage in two areas and both are mostly for when you are off road, and that is turning radius and break over angle, and the latter can be easily fixed with a lift and bigger tires, so that leaves the only advantage being the turning radius. That's it, the 4dr wins everything else.

I also came from a TJ and now on my second JKU. Loved how sporty the TJ felt, but I would never own a 2dr Jeep as my only vehicle any more. I understand the 2dr guys loving their rig, it works for them, but honestly we have not had anyone here say that they went from a 4dr to a 2dr and loved it. I have seen the most elite of Jeep purists, and I mean TJ and YJ guys, who made fun of my first JKU calling it a minivan, eat their words when they drove and eventually got a JKU. One got the JKU as his second vehicle and left his TJ as the off road rig, now he doesn't even use his TJ and is keeping the JKU for both. That tells you something right there.

This is true, a tighter turning radius can make is so that you can wiggle your way through and around obstacles but, as you've mentioned, bigger tires and a lift will allow a 4-door to easily climb over them. I too had a built up TJ running long arms and 37's and I loved it but, after getting my first JKU, I ended up selling it to buy a 2nd JKU.

Hobolobo

I traded my 2 door sport in on a JKUR earlier this year and haven't looked back. I don't know what your child situation is, but there is something to be said about how much easier it is to hoist a chunky 9 month old and his car seat up into a 4 door. The ride is way better on road as well, but my experience was going from sport to rubicon, so that made an improvement anyways. Good luck either way you go. It's still a Jeep!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I traded my 2 door sport in on a JKUR earlier this year and haven't looked back. I don't know what your child situation is, but there is something to be said about how much easier it is to hoist a chunky 9 month old and his car seat up into a 4 door. The ride is way better on road as well, but my experience was going from sport to rubicon, so that made an improvement anyways. Good luck either way you go. It's still a Jeep!

Not just kids but other grown adults, a dog or just stuff in general unless you have the back seat removed. Unlike the TJ before which had an awesome flip and fold function on the passenger seat, getting anything in and out of the back is a serious pain on a 2-door JK. But, if you are planning to run without a rear seat, 2-doors can be fun to have.

Jk909

I just found out that my wife is pregnant. Now I have to trade in my brand new 2dr..... I wish I had just bought the 4dr.

Top Bottom