About to tackle EVO corners/Tire carrier/Fascia - Tips?

oGKevin

Hey y'all,

I just finished up my 1/4 pounder and I'm about to start the backend. Just wanted to post to see if anyone whose installed these before had any tips or tricks that would make it easier, better. Perhaps a type of drillbit or a specific brand of RTV silicone. I'll be painting everything with 4-5 coats of VHT Rollbar and Chassis. I appreciate any insight!

I only ask because someone gave me an extremely helpful tip on installing the 1/4 pounder, after I was nearly done with it :icon_crazy:

i havent installed the rear corners but from doing the rocker skins make sure you have a good step bit. also i saw you have the astro nutsert tool already which is good! for silicone i would suggest "The Right Stuff" by permatex. when installing before you drill the hole make sure you use ratchet straps to get the skins tight agaisnt the body.

i havent installed the rear corners but from doing the rocker skins make sure you have a good step bit. also i saw you have the astro nutsert tool already which is good! for silicone i would suggest "The Right Stuff" by permatex. when installing before you drill the hole make sure you use ratchet straps to get the skins tight agaisnt the body.

What are the benefits of a step bit over a pilot hole and a normal bit, out of curiousity? I'll have to pick up that silicone. MTG's thread scared me. I have a 2 day window to install, uninstall, paint, and install everything before I go back to school

Two days is pushing it to do everything. Don't forget wiring up the lights. That takes some time also.

What are the benefits of a step bit over a pilot hole and a normal bit, out of curiousity? I'll have to pick up that silicone. MTG's thread scared me. I have a 2 day window to install, uninstall, paint, and install everything before I go back to school

You can use the two drill bit method. That's what I did for my skins and it worked fine.

step bit's rock! that with a nice center punch and you will have a hard time messing that up!

edit plus cutting oils!

Last edited:
step bits have worked great for me. I dont know if my other bits were poor quality or what, but they didnt work well for me. maybe it was my technique or the drill speed, I dont know. but for sure step bits have worked very well for me and I will continue to use them any time I need to drill into sheet metal.

I had mine powder coated, installed it once.

Use a ratchet strap to install, rear door latch to the tailgate latch/hook on the driverside corner. Rear door to rear door on the passenger side. Use a clamp on the bottom corner to draw it in..

Two days is pushing it to do everything. Don't forget wiring up the lights. That takes some time also.

It'll be 2 days of working from around 8AM to 7PM basically all day. I'm also painting everything with VHT on site so I won't have to wait for any of that.

I had mine powder coated, installed it once.

Use a ratchet strap to install, rear door latch to the tailgate latch/hook on the driverside corner. Rear door to rear door on the passenger side. Use a clamp on the bottom corner to draw it in..

I have a 2 door but I'll hook it up the same. I'll have to go pick up a few clamps. I'll also be wiring up my backup lights and tail lights. Not sure how much work goes into the tail lights but I don't foresee it taking more than an hour max.

Stupid question, are the holes you drill for the nutserts 3/8s or 17/32s? I haven't looked yet. I think the EVO rock skins are 3/8s but PSC corners are 17/32s. These damn things came with 0 instructions and I need someone to double check with. (Just so I can blame you if I mess it up! :bleh:)

Last edited:
Stupid question, are the holes you drill for the nutserts 3/8s or 17/32s? I haven't looked yet. I think the EVO rock skins are 3/8s but PSC corners are 17/32s. These damn things came with 0 instructions and I need someone to double check with. (Just so I can blame you if I mess it up! :bleh:)

EVO instructions say 3/8" but I found 25/64" to work better for me.

Got about 1 and a half corners done today. If I don't see another nutsert in my lifetime, it'll be too damn soon. Fuck 'em.

Question about Mopar Fuel door - I've seen guys running it with corners but it doesn't seem to fit. What kind of modification does it take, I love the look.

Got about 1 and a half corners done today. If I don't see another nutsert in my lifetime, it'll be too damn soon. Fuck 'em.

Question about Mopar Fuel door - I've seen guys running it with corners but it doesn't seem to fit. What kind of modification does it take, I love the look.

By chance did you have a nutsert tool handy other than the nut/bolt trick? I just installed the EVO rock skins and the Astro Pneumatic 1442 tool made the nutserts a breeze. I think the tool was roughly $70 and was worth every penny.

Post up some pictures of the corners once you get then done. I think they may be on my short list of future mods.

Top Bottom