Account Delete

Lol! Thank you. Now can I find some hand sanitizer somewhere?

Seriously though, I’m blown away that people don’t get that when they post something up it becomes public and they cannot simply demand that it be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
It goes way beyond just posts man.
All account info. All logs. All histories. It's all covered by GDPR, CPP and whatever else the US comes up with.

Also, from a technical side, yes, it is that easy. Posts on forums can either be soft deleted it hard deleted. Compliance with a GDPR request would be a hard delete.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Sharkey

Word Ninja
It's all recognizable as PII under GDPR.

The information doesn't have to be publically available, but what's stored on servers and in logs.

The EU did pass a law that protects THEIR citizens. If an organization has EU citizens as a customer or user, they have to be GDPR compliant, regardless of what country the organization is in.

If that organization's servers records an IP address used by an EU citizen, that citizen could ask for that information to be deleted and the organization would be required to do so under GDPR. US treaties with the EU mean that it would be enforced, and it HAS been enforced.

Many websites are simply disallowing EU citizens from joining, so they don't have to comply. It's a work around, but it works.

And as I replied to someone else, the US and about ten states are already looking into passing another similar law here.

Again, you seem to be missing the point. You can demand all day long that your IP Address be removed from Wayalife’s servers. Who gives a rat’s ass?

You CANNOT demand that your post history and username associated with that post history be deleted. THAT IS PUBLIC INFORMATION, THAT YOU MADE PUBLIC BY POSTING....IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE DELETED BECAUSE IT IS NOT PRIVATE INFORMATION. NEITHER THE GDPR, NOR KOMMIFORNIA, REQUIRE THE REMOVAL OF PUBLICLY AVAILABLE INFORMATION FROM THE PUBLIC REALM.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It goes way beyond just posts man.
All account info. All logs. All histories. It's all covered by GDPR, CPP and whatever else the US comes up with.

Also, from a technical side, yes, it is that easy. Posts on forums can either be soft deleted it hard deleted. Compliance with a GDPR request would be a hard delete.

You literally bumped a thread from four fucking years ago to preach to all of us who give zero fucks about this. Go fuck a goat and find a new forum to spew your bullshit.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

You literally bumped a thread from four fucking years ago to preach to all of us who give zero fucks about this. Go fuck a goat and find a new forum to spew your bullshit.

I bumped a post from January, not four years ago.

If you don't want to participate in the conversation, find another thread to visit, because your tough man routine is lost here.

JK_0311

I think a key point that Sharkey has made that you are missing, is for companies doing business in the EU, it can be enforced.

I do not believe this forum meets that criteria and even if the GDPR states that a business (like this forum outside of the EU) is subject to the rule, id love to see that enforced. I would imagine the US would smack the EU down for trying to regulate small business here. If states want to pass there own, that’s a completely different topic.

Again, you seem to be missing the point. You can demand all day long that your IP Address be removed from Wayalife’s servers. Who gives a rat’s ass?

You CANNOT demand that your post history and username associated with that post history be deleted. THAT IS PUBLIC INFORMATION, THAT YOU MADE PUBLIC BY POSTING....IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE DELETED BECAUSE IT IS NOT PRIVATE INFORMATION. NEITHER THE GDPR, NOR KOMMIFORNIA, REQUIRE THE REMOVAL OF PUBLICLY AVAILABLE INFORMATION FROM THE PUBLIC REALM.

It depends on how the servers are setup and the forum software works.

Most modern forum softwares allow the deletion of accounts without impacting posts. More antiquated systems they're intertwined, which would affect posts.

And, an EU citizen could very well make a request to purge their data and it would all be applicable.

GDPR isn't exclusive to privately held information. It's all PII. As my example above, if someone posted and said "Hey, I'm from Glockshire UK", that's PII that would need to be removed under a GDPR request. Likewise for pics with license plates, or homes, or personal photos of themselves.

I think a key point that Sharkey has made that you are missing, is for companies doing business in the EU, it can be enforced.

I do not believe this forum meets that criteria and even if the GDPR states that a business (like this forum outside of the EU) is subject to the rule, id love to see that enforced. I would imagine the US would smack the EU down for trying to regulate small business here. If states want to pass there own, that’s a completely different topic.

It's entirely possible you're right, small companies may get a pass from GDPR. But that isn't a guarantee at this juncture. Nor a precident that's been set.

But states are passing laws (CA and WA), others investigating laws and Congress is also looking to make a national law.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I bumped a post from January, not four years ago.

If you don't want to participate in the conversation, find another thread to visit, because your tough man routine is lost here.

Why are you so concerned with this? You will get nowhere with your drivel. Just leave it alone.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Point to the specific provision in any one of these laws that requires the removal of information that a user has intentionally shared publicly (e.g. posts and username).

This is a govt that tried to kill net neutrality how many times? and renewed the patriot act how many times? Yeah, keep thinking your browsing and posting is safe and you can control it haha :bleh:

Point to the specific provision in any one of these laws that requires the removal of information that a user has intentionally shared publicly (e.g. posts and username).

Found this from a different forum vendor, but covers forum requirements for GDPR conpliance in normal English. Screenshot_20200308-205331.jpg Screenshot_20200308-205431.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
It's entirely possible you're right, small companies may get a pass from GDPR. But that isn't a guarantee at this juncture. Nor a precident that's been set.

But states are passing laws (CA and WA), others investigating laws and Congress is also looking to make a national law.

So if I post about having a 14 inch penis, is that public information or private according to the GDPR? And how can that affect one's privacy? Asking for a friend.

JK_0311

Until you can provide some HARD proof that the EU can enforce this on businesses that are not in the EU or providing a clear service within the EU, then you are talking out of your ass.

Countries can not regulate business in other countries. If that was the case, countries would essentially lose their ability to govern.

Best of luck on your research. 🤡

Why are you so concerned with this? You will get nowhere with your drivel. Just leave it alone.

Probably because I _like_ this forum. I found the response to this thread surprisingly out of touch when it came to how accounts were handled (nobdeletions, etc).

I'd rather bring this up and maybe someone can address it, before it becomes a problem.

So if I post about having a 14 inch penis, is that public information or private according to the GDPR? And how can that affect one's privacy? Asking for a friend.
I doubt it. Unless you posted da pic of it in front of your mailbox. Lol

Until you can provide some HARD proof that the EU can enforce this on businesses that are not in the EU or providing a clear service within the EU, then you are talking out of your ass.

Countries can not regulate business in other countries. If that was the case, countries would essentially lose their ability to govern.

Best of luck on your research. [emoji1782]

https://www.cbronline.com/news/gdpr-enforcement

First fine and enforcement was in Canada.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Found this from a different forum vendor, but covers forum requirements for GDPR conpliance in normal English.

Sorry, sometimes I’m not very clear. Let’s try this again. Show me in the law where information that has intentionally been made public through distribution has to be removed after the fact.

I honestly don’t give two shits about what some other vendor thinks is “tricky”. I spend my entire professional life dealing with “tricky”.

And for the record, the terms of use of this forum (and membership) clearly defines that UGC is owned by the forum, not the individual.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Probably because I _like_ this forum. I found the response to this thread surprisingly out of touch when it came to how accounts were handled (nobdeletions, etc).

I'd rather bring this up and maybe someone can address it, before it becomes a problem.

Perfect let’s put an end to this then. I know the owner of this forum personally as does Sharkey, and I can guarantee you, he isn’t going to delete accounts. Case closed. Thank you for the help Sherlock Holmes.

Sorry, sometimes I’m not very clear. Let’s try this again. Show me in the law where information that has intentionally been made public through distribution has to be removed after the fact.

I honestly don’t give two shits about what some other vendor thinks is “tricky”. I spend my entire professionally life dealing with “tricky”.

https://www.gdpreu.org/the-regulation/who-must-comply/

It literally covers every organization that has EU citizens as users / customers.

There was a huge reason the world was up in arms about this when it passed. It set a precident where countries could pass laws that supercede national borders.

Perfect let’s put an end to this then. I know the owner of this forum personally as does Sharkey, and I can guarantee you, he isn’t going to delete accounts. Case closed. Thank you for the help Sherlock Holmes.

I'm really happy for you. I'll buy you a beer when you're in town to congratulate you.

Top Bottom