AEV JK DualSport XT 2.5 inch lift

What actually makes this teraflex 4" lift LCG? Seems more like a marketing scheme to me.
On a side note, since Evo came up, has anyone else seen the elite high clearance set up Mel has been working on? That too me looks like a true lcg build.
And I think he was poking fun when he called it elite. I don't actually know the name if this set up

I just assumed they call it LCG at 4"? Are other long arm lifts less than 4"? I don't really know.

Fair enough. So you're closer to 4" than you thought but not as tall as I what I have seen with my own Jeep. Guess you really are a lot heavier than I was back when I was running their kit. Just out of curiosity, what does your Jeep measure from the ground to the top of your windshield frame?

Looks like 75" but it's a less exact measurement. Can you guys tell I'm really bored today off work and watching tv in the garage? It's supposed to be nice out later and I have lots of yard work!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is a shot of VENGEANCE which, at the time was running 40" and was only lifted 1" over stock.

main.php

To me, that's what LCG is.

What does "LCG" actually mean to you? I'm not bashing on you, just curious to what made you believe this was a lcg kit.

I was looking for more wheel travel without raising the Jeep too much. I believed that was what I got but maybe there is a better way. The Jeep is much simpler to drive offroad with this long arm system and the 37" tires. It was quite noticeable on Poison Spider trail in Moab for example. The old lift was 2.5" and 35" tires which did not stay as level and demanded much more attention on this trail for example.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I was looking for more wheel travel without raising the Jeep too much. I believed that was what I got but maybe there is a better way. The Jeep is much simpler to drive offroad with this long arm system and the 37" tires. It was quite noticeable on Poison Spider trail in Moab for example. The old lift was 2.5" and 35" tires which did not stay as level and demanded much more attention on this trail for example.

That would probably be the larger tires that made improvements.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like 75" but it's a less exact measurement. Can you guys tell I'm really bored today off work and watching tv in the garage? It's supposed to be nice out later and I have lots of yard work!

:cheesy: Yes, of course it's less exact of a measurement. It's actually a stupid measurement that an old troll asked for a long time ago and one we entertained for the hell of it. I only ask as it's a quick and easy number you can get that, if nothing else helps to gauge if you can pull into a standard 7' garage. It's just another number to kick around for comparison sake.

For instance, I just measured my white JK running coil overs and 40" and totally unloaded and even without full doors on. From the ground to the top of the windshield frame, I only got 76". In other words, I should be sitting at about an inch and a half taller than you just based on tire size alone and, as you can see, the difference is pretty close with it only being an inch separating us.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was under the impression the long arm system would allow more suspension droop?

Not sure where you came up with that assumption. The only reason for having long arms is to help correct suspension geometry and restore it closer to stock on a tall lift. Long arms will NOT give you more flex or provide more droop. What they can do is allow for less axle swipe when drooping but ultimately, the amount of droop you have is determined by shock length.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That would be your shock length for droop, and bump stops control up travel.

Technically, bump stops are used to prevent the over compression of your coils. The added benefit of them is that they will also mitigate rub at a full flex but, this is a secondary feature.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

That would probably be the larger tires that made improvements.

Exactly. The 37" tires is what made the difference, NOT the lift.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Technically, bump stops are used to prevent the over compression of your coils. The added benefit of them is that they will also mitigate rub at a full flex but, this is a secondary feature.

Ahh yes and save your shocks from bottoming out.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Not sure where you came up with that assumption. The only reason for having long arms is to help correct suspension geometry and restore it closer to stock on a tall lift. Long arms will NOT give you more flex or provide more droop. What they can do is allow for less axle swipe when drooping but ultimately, the amount of droop you have is determined by shock length.

Perhaps a long arm vs short arm, why you would want one vs the other should be added to the FAQ? http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-the-JK-Wrangler&p=21017&viewfull=1#post21017

I scanned but didn't see this spelled out, could be a good bullet point to add.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Actually it ended up at 3.5" over stock in the front, I have heavy bumpers. The LCG is pretty important to me with a two door. I did have to go with flat fenders to ensure no rubbing from the 37s but being this low just feels a bit better offroad.

im know im late replying but i was out at lunch.

its interesting to see that your at 3.5 (closer to 4 after reading you you got the more exact measuremnt) because my 2.5" coils on my 2 door with, what i believe to be, heavy front and rear bumpers sits at almost 3.5. im sure if i still had stock bumpers i would sit even higher.

JKWrang

im know im late replying but i was out at lunch.

its interesting to see that your at 3.5 (closer to 4 after reading you you got the more exact measuremnt) because my 2.5" coils on my 2 door with, what i believe to be, heavy front and rear bumpers sits at almost 3.5. im sure if i still had stock bumpers i would sit even higher.

I will go home tonight and measure from these points if it isnt still raining like a bastard and give you what my JKU has with the TF 2.5 coil lift for a net gain in height.

And from all my reading here on this site, Control Arms are one of the last mods on my list as the stock ones on the JK are long enough, they don't necessarily contribute to my off road performance (notice how I said *my* and not general off road performance?) and I would only need 4, not 8 at my current lift height.

In all fairness I do not regret my lift purchase even though I joke about having a crappy TF lift. I went with a budget coil lift and a budget coil lift is what I have.

I intend to have a fairly light Jeep considering it's a big JKU to begin with - my rear bumper will be EVO D-Rings, I may skip the tire carrier, I'm considering just an oil pan skid instead of a skid system (undecided).

Anyway, the point is I know there is a better lift out there, I have a run of the mill budget lift but it serves my needs and an AEV may serve the OP needs as well as your LCG may serve yours. But knowledge of how things work, why they work and what you could do better/differently/where to go from here is particularly valuable in the Jeep worl when NOTHING is cheap. Nothing. FWIW if I go with a heavy front bumper and winch I'll be seriously debating new coils

Sent from my SM-P905V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
And from all my reading here on this site, Control Arms are one of the last mods on my list as the stock ones on the JK are long enough, they don't necessarily contribute to my off road performance (notice how I said *my* and not general off road performance?) and I would only need 4, not 8 at my current lift height.

Correction. If I understand your post, you would actually only need two adjustable controls arms: front lowers. No need to mess with the back at all on a JKU with a 2.5" kit, or with the front uppers (hell, I've installed the 4" Enforcer on two JKU's and both perform wonderfully on and off road without new rear control arms and without new front upper control arms).

Top Bottom