All things Colorado

catahoula

Caught the Bug
So, my wife was googling the other night and found something interesting about Colorado. There are subterranean tunnels here. Not just Pueblo, but Canon City, Denver, etc. Would be a cool thing to explore. Most you cannot enter, however there is a tour of one in Pueblo. There is also a bowling alley underground I believe in Denver. I am attaching a 30 minute video for anyone interested in viewing. You can find manhole covers that have glass in them so they would allow light to enter for the stores and shops back in the day as well as grates and glass blocks at ground level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSR8gdomguM

WJCO

Meme King
So, my wife was googling the other night and found something interesting about Colorado. There are subterranean tunnels here. Not just Pueblo, but Canon City, Denver, etc. Would be a cool thing to explore. Most you cannot enter, however there is a tour of one in Pueblo. There is also a bowling alley underground I believe in Denver. I am attaching a 30 minute video for anyone interested in viewing. You can find manhole covers that have glass in them so they would allow light to enter for the stores and shops back in the day as well as grates and glass blocks at ground level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSR8gdomguM

Very cool. You should look into the Denver Airport Conspiracy if you haven't already. Very interesting stuff regarding tunnels and much more, lol.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Very cool. You should look into the Denver Airport Conspiracy if you haven't already. Very interesting stuff regarding tunnels and much more, lol.

I will check out. Hoping to look for some of these in the next couple of weekends. Thanks brother!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
On the road to Ouray near the north side of McClure Pass is the Crystal Mill, one of the most photographed places in Colorado. It's a modest challenge from the town of Marble. It's awesome if you're fortunate enough to see it in the fall colors.
View attachment 173886

Hey Linebacker,

Was this road pretty crazy? I know you stated Modest. You drove I assume? I have read you can hike it too.

GraniteCrystal

Saint Mary Glacier

Took a trip up to Saint Mary's Glacier this past weekend. Easy hike, though it was a bit icy. Very cool place. Will need to retun in the summer. If you go, you'll need $5 cash/check for parking.

IMG_20160305_125557.jpg

Crazy pretty glacier ice. It's blue because that's the only wavelength of light that escapes the crystal structure.
IMG_20160305_202443.jpg

Southern slope above the lake:
IMG_20160305_202539.jpg

Panorama of Saint Mary's Lake. The glacier is the on the far right. Melt-off flows into a creek and then into the lake:
PANO_20160305_133001.jpg

Here is Scout at the entrance to Loch Lomond trail head:
IMG_20160305_141914.jpg

And here is 100' down the trail. Looks like it'll be a while before that's open again.
IMG_20160305_141830.jpg

And here is the drive home:
IMG_20160305_142647.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Very cool. I've been wanting to get up there. It's suppose to be a great place to practice self arrest with an axe and climbing techniques with crampons. Great pics.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Hey Linebacker,

Was this road pretty crazy? I know you stated Modest. You drove I assume? I have read you can hike it too.

Sorry to be so late in response. Been away from the computer quite a bit lately. The road from Marble townsite to the Crystal Mill is easy/moderate for a JK with no major obstacles. Definitely a fun, topless summertime drive. It's also a doable hike. We saw folks walking the trail a couple of summers ago. The mill is probably the single most photographed spot in our State.:yup:

GraniteCrystal

Very cool. I've been wanting to get up there. It's suppose to be a great place to practice self arrest with an axe and climbing techniques with crampons. Great pics.

Thanks. Very cool spot. Definitely seems like it'd be a good place to practice self-arresting. There were people sledding down the Glacier.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Took a trip up to Saint Mary's Glacier this past weekend. Easy hike, though it was a bit icy. Very cool place. Will need to retun in the summer. If you go, you'll need $5 cash/check for parking.

View attachment 191947

Crazy pretty glacier ice. It's blue because that's the only wavelength of light that escapes the crystal structure.
View attachment 191951

Southern slope above the lake:
View attachment 191952

Panorama of Saint Mary's Lake. The glacier is the on the far right. Melt-off flows into a creek and then into the lake:
View attachment 191953

Here is Scout at the entrance to Loch Lomond trail head:
View attachment 191949

And here is 100' down the trail. Looks like it'll be a while before that's open again.
View attachment 191948

And here is the drive home:
View attachment 191950

I'm jealous! Absolutely beautiful! Just added something to our list. That is not far from me at all. Would be a nice weekend trip. Thanks for sharing brother!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Sorry to be so late in response. Been away from the computer quite a bit lately. The road from Marble townsite to the Crystal Mill is easy/moderate for a JK with no major obstacles. Definitely a fun, topless summertime drive. It's also a doable hike. We saw folks walking the trail a couple of summers ago. The mill is probably the single most photographed spot in our State.:yup:

Thanks for the info! Can't wait to see that in person.:beer:

boardsurfer

I'm jealous! Absolutely beautiful! Just added something to our list. That is not far from me at all. Would be a nice weekend trip. Thanks for sharing brother!

Chinns Lake and Loch Lamond are both worth your while if you're heading up Fall River Road. :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
Chinns Lake and Loch Lamond are both worth your while if you're heading up Fall River Road. :thumb:

Very sweet! Just checked out some pics on Trail Damage. Thanks for the info!:beer:

I'd be up for doing this as a group this summer. Let's keep it in mind.

I agree. This would be a fun one. I'd be down too. We have to make sure road is open. We planned on going there last summer but it was closed after the 2013 flood for restoration. I've never been up there before.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I agree. This would be a fun one. I'd be down too. We have to make sure road is open. We planned on going there last summer but it was closed after the 2013 flood for restoration. I've never been up there before.

Hell yeah! I just gotta plan I only get one weekend off a month. Frickin blows!

GraniteCrystal

Hell yeah I'd be down for this.

Hell yeah! I just gotta plan I only get one weekend off a month. Frickin blows!

Anybody know best time to do it? Trail Damage has a report from June years ago and they didn't make it all the way to the lake. May need to wait to do it till August.

WJCO

Meme King
Anybody know best time to do it? Trail Damage has a report from June years ago and they didn't make it all the way to the lake. May need to wait to do it till August.

Mid to late July is the earliest you can usually access many Alpine places around here depending on snow melt. That's when the roads open due to being able to actually get through. August may be a more realistic time frame so there are no unexpected surprises.

Top Bottom