Any Mountain Bikers?

Army_Vet

Banned
any advice on brakes? i bent my rear tire pretty bad coming off a cliff and about 1/4 mile down the trail i noticed it was rubbing my frame. this bent my disc all over and kept putting pressure on my brakes with every rotation. they are shimano deores. is there a cheaper fix for this other than purchasing new? i got one opinion from a bike shop but figured before making a long drive id put it out there..

Sounds like you need a new rotor. You can try to bend it back but it will never be perfect. You will always feel the feedback modulation in the lever as the bend goes through the caliper.
Were they able to save the wheel?
If they are trying to sell you a new compete wheel with hub and rotor that may be why it seems expensive. You may not need all of that. You may just need a different shop who will repair what you need. Need more details to help you more

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

kornchip

The wheel is salvagable and the guy told me i have 2 options with the brakes. He told me i could buy a whole new set up $$ or i could pay him to take apart the caliper and rebuild it and buy a new rotor.

The initial problem was that in the initial impact the stabalizing cap on the rod inside shattered. so there was nothing holding it straight. I called WTB and they sent me the new parts no questions asked. so the wheel just needs trued.

The brake still works when riding. Its just at about 15% stopping power. So i have to rely on front brakes for all stopping.

I think a second opinion is my best option.

any idea how much $$ would be reasonable to pay to get a wheel trued?

Army_Vet

Banned
The wheel is salvagable and the guy told me i have 2 options with the brakes. He told me i could buy a whole new set up $$ or i could pay him to take apart the caliper and rebuild it and buy a new rotor.

The initial problem was that in the initial impact the stabalizing cap on the rod inside shattered. so there was nothing holding it straight. I called WTB and they sent me the new parts no questions asked. so the wheel just needs trued.

The brake still works when riding. Its just at about 15% stopping power. So i have to rely on front brakes for all stopping.

I think a second opinion is my best option.

any idea how much $$ would be reasonable to pay to get a wheel trued?

YouTube wheel truing. You can do it yourself with a spoke wrench. Its east to learn. I couldn't see a shop charging more than 10 bucks to do it thow

Ya I didn't know you damaged the caliper too.
I just can't figure out how....

kornchip

he said because it bent the rotor and i kept riding, that i was puting uneven amounts of pressure on the outside pad causing a seal inside the caliper to leak. so by the time he takes it apart and has to put a new seal and put it back together its gonna cost like 50$-60$ bucks. problem is he told me that its not 100% that thats the actual problem. so he showed me an 80$ rear brake system that i could install myself.

Tigrcky

he said because it bent the rotor and i kept riding, that i was puting uneven amounts of pressure on the outside pad causing a seal inside the caliper to leak. so by the time he takes it apart and has to put a new seal and put it back together its gonna cost like 50$-60$ bucks. problem is he told me that its not 100% that thats the actual problem. so he showed me an 80$ rear brake system that i could install myself.

I looked and i have a shimano deore BR-M535 caliper in good shape works fine that i wont use ( i run hayes 9 on my bike) if you are interested

kornchip

Im gonna take it to a pro shop and get a second opinion. I very much appreciate all the insight.

I looked and i have a shimano deore BR-M535 caliper in good shape works fine that i wont use ( i run hayes 9 on my bike) if you are interested

I appreciate the offer. I will PM you if I wanna take you up on it. :thumb:

Army_Vet

Banned
Ya I think he wants to sell a brake system. He's not even sure if that's the problem...... there is not that many parts to figure out. Get a second d opinion

Tigrcky

Ya I think he wants to sell a brake system. He's not even sure if that's the problem...... there is not that many parts to figure out. Get a second d opinion

Someone should "stop" him :cheesy:

Sent from my whatyamacallit

Beyrgut

Is it visibly leaking fluid, it probably just needs to be bled. It's a really simple process and only takes a few minutes to do before dropping any $$ down.

Top Bottom