AOAA Guided tour March29th

Tackerdown

Banned
I was wondering what type of wheeling it is. Is it just a tail ride, rock climbs, both, mud?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

RamP

The $40 covers the trail fee for the day, the tips for the guides ( they are unpaid voulonteers ) and a bonus that I'm working out. You would be responsible for your own lunch that we will break for on the trail.

Tacker, the terrain is similar to Rousch. Nice elevation changes, rocks, mud , and forest trails. The site is on a mountain that has been mined for coal by the Glen Burr mining company. There are mining trails as well as open shafts, and even a still burning mine fire that was started in Centralia in 1978. It's huge. 4500 acres as it sits now and thousands more in the future.

funfred

The Centralia fires(underground) aren't in nor adjacent to the park. If anyone's interested in seeing it, it's not too far away but online pics do it justice. All you see is a little bit of smoke coming out of the ground. Venture at your own risk. It's not a place to go messin' around.

beans

I'll add a maybe list to the original post. Hope you can make it. I ran the Jeep Jamboree there in 2013 and it was a lot of fun.

On a scale of 1-5, 5 being difficult, what would you rate it? Just wondering if a stock Jeep or Jeep Rubicon could handle it :)

Also, is anyone camping? :) We are probably staying in a hotel unless the weather does a 180 :) BUT, even if we do, we were just wondering b/c if alot of people are camping we can bring a grill for food and make a Camping Lasagne that night--If not we can just bring some snacks for everyone for the afternoon :D :D

Last edited:

funfred

Rubicon, yes.
Stock, no...it has street tires.

The biggest obstacle is traction. There are some rock trails, like rock gardens, so a lift or skids would be advised if that's your thing.
Mostly, it's trails from one scenic area or playground to another. As previously stated, it's kinda like Rausch Creek...just bigger.

I don't know what 1-5 represents, but I can't see having any issue draggin' my 2"-31"ATs WJ through everything I came across, except mud. I don't do mud. And, I don't have to try everything.

BTW, count me in. How do I pay and what if I have a passenger by then but not yet?

beans

Rubicon, yes.
Stock, no...it has street tires.

The biggest obstacle is traction. There are some rock trails, like rock gardens, so a lift or skids would be advised.
Mostly, it's trails from one scenic area or playground to another. As previously stated, it's kinda like Rausch Creek...just bigger.

There was a stock jeep with us at Rausch in Feb. They did very well :D There were also a large Sport with lifts and no lockers but still did great. I guess Im just trying to figure the trail for prep reasons ....we can't get a lift before March. But if its like Rausch blue or greens then us n00bs should be ok if we avoid any Rausch-like-black/red-type areas :D :D :D

RamP

The trail ratings we'll be on are mostly blues. With greens to get from one place to another.
As far as camping goes that's totally cool but you'd have to find a local site nearby as camping is not permitted yet on the property. It will be soon but not yet.
When we're there the park won't be "officially" open. This is something special for WOL members.

beans

The trail ratings we'll be on are mostly blues. With greens to get from one place to another.
As far as camping goes that's totally cool but you'd have to find a local site nearby as camping is not permitted yet on the property. It will be soon but not yet.
When we're there the park won't be "officially" open. This is something special for WOL members.

OOO very neat!! :) :) Thanks so much for clarifying :D

I think I found a local hotel..I used the zip code from the addy you had listed on the first page :) Is there one that WOL uses normally?

EDIT: Wait.. dumb question. Ignore. This place is too new lol :clap2:
I did find a place near by though :D It looks comfy

Last edited:

RamP

You know what I was thinking was to stay in a hotel in between AOAA and Rousch. Wheel AOAA on Saturday then Rousch on Sunday.

RamP

Lol. Didn't know that. We can't get it here in CT. But there's plenty of craft brewery's close by.

Top Bottom