Artec truss and gussets

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I can tell you this, I can weld and spent 4 days welding on synergy sleeves and an Artec armor kit including their truss and my D44 still warped. Despite installing the sleeves first and only making 3/4" stitch welds, one on each side before letting it completely cool....it still warped. Let me tell you, I sure as hell wish now I would have listened to the guys on this forum. If I would have I wouldn't have had to replace my OEM D44 with only 5k miles on it with a PR44.

What's that though that Eddie always says....hind sight is 20/20???

Maybe lazyjeff83 will give his guidelines for welding these trusses on. I'm still waiting for his response

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can tell you this, I can weld and spent 4 days welding on synergy sleeves and an Artec armor kit including their truss and my D44 still warped. Despite installing the sleeves first and only making 3/4" stitch welds, one on each side before letting it completely cool....it still warped. Let me tell you, I sure as hell wish now I would have listened to the guys on this forum. If I would have I wouldn't have had to replace my OEM D44 with only 5k miles on it with a PR44.

The sad truth is, A LOT of us were believers back in the day. We all wanted to believe solutions like this were great ideas and most of us have been down this road before. Guys like us are only trying to share what we've learned over the years and maybe help others from making the same mistakes. What cracks me up is when fanboys take what we say as being ignorant, misguided or somehow biased. But hey, people are free to believe whatever it is they want to believe :yup:

What's that though that Eddie always says....hind sight is 20/20???

:cheesy: Actually, it was a bit more breezy now but, 20/20 is what I prefer :D

sjd78

The sad truth is, A LOT of us were believers back in the day. We all wanted to believe solutions like this were great ideas and most of us have been down this road before. Guys like us are only trying to share what we've learned over the years and maybe help others from making the same mistakes. What cracks me up is when fanboys take what we say as being ignorant, misguided or somehow biased. But hey, people are free to believe whatever it is they want to believe :yup:

:cheesy: Actually, it was a bit more breezy now but, 20/20 is what I prefer :D

Well I guess I'm right there with you guys in the been there made that mistake when it comes to trusses. The bad part is that I was warned by those of you who been through this already. I can't even claim ignorance in this case. Pure stubbornness was a costly lesson for me. After this whole fiasco I can't stress it enough to others on this forum....BELIEVE what you guys say as you really do have others best interest in mind!

Neewbee question

Ok

Edie sad something early in this thread that some people does not even come to the piont they need beefed up axle or a aftermarket stronger axle. That sounds very logic I think.

I use my Sahara 2012 jku as a daily driver for 98 percent of the time and sometimes if I´m lucky I can find some fun bad roads but that is it.

( in sweden there is no such thing as trails. What we do have is meetings now and then at some locations but, that is always a smal and restricted area with the size of a childrens sandbox. After a couple of hours that playground mostly look like a big mudpit with no natural sceenery worth looking at. Thats really not my cup of tea. )

However, I have plans to make "overlanding" or shall I say long roadtripps. First of there will be a roadtripp to the northest part of scandinavia. That will be some 4000 km and most of it on good roads. Hopefully there will be some part with "roads" that a normal car can not go up in the north but there will not be any major obstacles to conquer. Idiotic with only one car out in the bush first of all I guess.

I also have a dream to go through Africa all the way down to capetown or take my jeep from sweden to cambodia. I have a friend living in cambodia. As all of you understand that will mean a lot of bad roads and sometimes really bad roads but still roads.

So, will a guy like me need to change the d30 in the front. Using maximum 33 inch tire and no lift?

Happy wheeling!

Ps

we do have a lot of snow now so some fun I do have actually now with my lovley jk!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok

Edie sad something early in this thread that some people does not even come to the piont they need beefed up axle or a aftermarket stronger axle. That sounds very logic I think.

I use my Sahara 2012 jku as a daily driver for 98 percent of the time and sometimes if I´m lucky I can find some fun bad roads but that is it.

( in sweden there is no such thing as trails. What we do have is meetings now and then at some locations but, that is always a smal and restricted area with the size of a childrens sandbox. After a couple of hours that playground mostly look like a big mudpit with no natural sceenery worth looking at. Thats really not my cup of tea. )

However, I have plans to make "overlanding" or shall I say long roadtripps. First of there will be a roadtripp to the northest part of scandinavia. That will be some 4000 km and most of it on good roads. Hopefully there will be some part with "roads" that a normal car can not go up in the north but there will not be any major obstacles to conquer. Idiotic with only one car out in the bush first of all I guess.

I also have a dream to go through Africa all the way down to capetown or take my jeep from sweden to cambodia. I have a friend living in cambodia. As all of you understand that will mean a lot of bad roads and sometimes really bad roads but still roads.

So, will a guy like me need to change the d30 in the front. Using maximum 33 inch tire and no lift?

Happy wheeling!

Ps

we do have a lot of snow now so some fun I do have actually now with my lovley jk!!!

For your needs and the fact that you'll only be running 33's, you'll probably be fine just running what you have. This is the case for most people and really, my recommendation for a replacement axle is more for those who feel the need to improve their Dana 30 or even Dana 44 by throwing money at it. IF you really think you'll be playing hard enough to bend or break them, you're better off saving your money and just replacing it with something better. Does that make sense?

For your needs and the fact that you'll only be running 33's, you'll probably be fine just running what you have. This is the case for most people and really, my recommendation for a replacement axle is more for those who feel the need to improve their Dana 30 or even Dana 44 by throwing money at it. IF you really think you'll be playing hard enough to bend or break them, you're better off saving your money and just replacing it with something better. Does that make sense?

Honestly I do not think I need stronger axles for what I do. If my front axle would break with the kind of wheeling I do I think jeep have done some major designflaw. Can not see how "overlanding" on roads ( even really bad roads ) with near stock wheels should request stronger aftermarket axle.

But if I do break it I will post some pictures.

Best Regards

cis911

20150307_193411.jpg 20150321_182000.jpg
So all this talk about warping the axle got me kinda iffy about the truss, so what did I do. I sleeved and trussed my axle!! Oh I also naff a jig for it. Ummmm ok back to the op...advice......buy a sleeve to go along with the truss and make a jig :)

olram30

So all this talk about warping the axle got me kinda iffy about the truss, so what did I do. I sleeved and trussed my axle!! Oh I also naff a jig for it. Ummmm ok back to the op...advice......buy a sleeve to go along with the truss and make a jig :)
So is there some scientific calculations that go into getting the right amount of preload or did you just wing it and fingers crossed?

olram30

1428026523071.jpg
Sleeves, waste of money.

Attachments

• 1428026463310.jpg
    1428026463310.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 1428026482222.jpg
    1428026482222.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 149
Top Bottom