Artec

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh really, if that were the case, then why are three of the 4 links not even welded to it? What are the strengthening? You mean to tell me that giant truss is there to strengthen the one mount?

:cheesy: Seriously dude, you should of stopped while you were ahead. You really have no clue.

TheDuff

Oh really, if that were the case, then why are three of the 4 links not even welded to it? What are the strengthening? You mean to tell me that giant truss is there to strengthen the one mount?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I see 4 mounting points for control arms... look harder:rolleyes:

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I see 4 mounting points for control arms... look harder:rolleyes:

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I think he's trying to say that only one is physically attached to the truss when all 4 should be or something stupid like that. Of course, being the boy wonder that he is, he misses the fact that in a triangulated 4-link setup, only the 2 upper arms are needing the truss and only because of the stress that they will exert on the center of the housing - hence, why I said they're there to "accommodate" them. And really, one side is in fact directly welded to the top of the diff and so yeah, the rest of it is, in part, to provide greater strength to the other mount. Regardless, there's no talking any sense into this guy - he's already got it all figured out. :crazyeyes:

Robar

The Enforcer
The ignorance runs deep with this one.

Ignorance is one thing but to shoot off ones mouth like they know what they're talking about is comical. :crazyeyes:

abraham_lincoln_stupidity_3861.jpg

ttfhell

Artec had a sweet jeep trussed on a 44 running on 40's at Moab this week. Never saw it dirty. Weird.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thank you, I appreciate you being able to see things for what they really are. I might add that when you get to the point of being able to afford that PR44, you still might want to hold off on getting it until you really need it. I just know how things go in my life and sometimes, that extra saved cash can be helpful to have for unexpected emergencies. Just a thought.

I could afford it now since I couldn't make it out west like we talked about in PM but yea just like you said in going to wait till it's needed. I want to save my money for actually buying my jeep and no longer leasing :cheesy:

Sent from my iPhone

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I could afford it now since I couldn't make it out west like we talked about in PM but yea just like you said in going to wait till it's needed. I want to save my money for actually buying my jeep and no longer leasing :cheesy:

Sent from my iPhone

Wait you lease your jeep? :eek:

GCM 2

Yep and you could also preheat it and have the same effect!

Actually no, preheating will not have the same effect. Preheating will only allow the axle to bend more easily and evenly as it is welded. So if you are trying to achieve the banana look for an axle, preheating the tubes should help you accomplish this like a pro. However, placing an axle into a fixture, applying an ever so slight hydraulically positive bend into it before welding, will account for the natural drawing/shrinking of the tubes toward the truss they are being electrically glued to (see above 'banana' shaped axle for an example of axle tubes drawing toward the truss). The fixture and preload allows the housing and tubes to remain straight and true, but Wayoflife already pointed this out, so I guess I am piling on now :idontknow:

Why would a RACE TEAM weld a truss on an axle if it's just gonna bend? According to you it's a waste of money?

Well, this answer is kind of complicated, but here goes: In short, 'RACE TEAMS' tend to just go f'ing bat shit crazy when the green flag drops, emotions (and some other scientific medical shit) are involved and the instinct to win overrides the strength of most metals. So what is a 'RACE TEAM' to do in the epic constant battle of overall vehicle weight versus overall parts strength versus overall cost? 1) the team could build everything possible on the race car out of Inconel (see space shuttle, rocket surgery), but it would weigh 17 metric shit tonnes (I'm not british, but I don't know what type of weight standards Canadians use) and it would cost more than the USA's national debt to build. 2) you could be sensible and buy the best components your 'RACE TEAM' can afford, then you use things like a truss, which is going to add structure and rigidness to an already beefy race spec part, with little added weight (especially if you use a dimple die cutter to place high tech looking holes in the metal, which actually make the truss stronger too, all while saving weight)

For the average off roader, trusses are not so much a waste of money in my eyes, as they are little reward for the effort that it takes to install them on an already inferior component like stock axles......so I guess after reading this sentence a few times, I am really just saying they are a waste of money :thinking: If you are going to get all the labor of installing sleeves and trusses for free, than maybe it could be a temporary fix and a bargain at that. But in the end, did you make it stronger? Sure, but you have still not built a holistically strong axle, just fixed only one flaw (or two at best) in an inferior design of a stock part. Key word being- inferior...and design...and stock....and part. Keep this on the down low and all, but I happen to know a guy who owns a shop, he can install his mfg company's axle sleeves, C gussets and anyones truss you want, and make a boooaaattt load of cash on labor, or he can install any mfg.'s aftermarket axle for a lot less in labor on his part. Guess which solution he recommends; THE AXLES, every time! In fact he only recommends C gussets as an upgrade for strength on stock axles, as all the other stuff is a waste of money. Then again, the guy is one of the most honest and ethically sound business guys I have every met.

Lol anyway I'm sure this could and probably would continue on till the ends of time! So I'm gonna end by saying that, yes, if you have the means, and of course you work really, really hard, and save all your buttons and bows go and buy a CRJ or a pr44, hell don,t even waste your money on a 44 keep saving and get the pr80 that way you'll be able to run over a land mine and blow yourself right over the obstacle and keep wheeling to the finish! ;) no hard feelings!

We can only hope that this thread answers the original poster's question and he can make an informed decision, and maybe learn from hundreds of guys who choose one direction, only to find that cheaper fix initially, was in the long run much more expensive. And in closing, please never, ever, EVER mention a CRJ and a Pro Rock 44 in the same thread again as though they are equals, as this is quite literally a slap in the face of anyone who is running a CRJ. Could you imagine if you owned a CRJ and someone continually made comments about how their PR44 was proudly assembled in the USA, made with metals only sourced from steel mills in the USA, offered more ground clearance than a stock Dana 44, was bolt-in compatible with a JK's electronics, was available with the correct amount of castor built in to it for most lift sizes, available with stock or after market wheel bolt patterns, dynaloc and stub hub kit, I could go on but it is just upsetting to CRJ owners. Just imagine how the CRJ owner would feel knowing all of that about the PR44? Doesn't feel too good does it......

Thank you for your time

GCM 2, Esquire

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

jims68

And it always leads back to the same question at least for me it does anyway! Why does a dog chase his tail if he has one? Because HE CAN! Doesn't make me want to even if I had a tail to chase! Looks kind of cool at the time but ends up being a total waste of time!
Well I made the same mistake but it was for learning purposes. Rotated C's, RCV's and Artec truss but I am looking at it from a different angle. I PLAN on breaking it. I WILL NOT recommend stuff unless I have done it myself. That is why when Eddie and others on this forum I know have done this stuff adds great credence to there comments. I just hate to waste a good opportunity to learn! It would bug me if I skipped this step and always wondered HOW LONG! Besides it was a lot of fricken work! Been 20 years since I have flash burned, burned a hole in my arm from a piece of slag while trying to complete a weld and take a ball of slag down an ear because I didn't rotate my hat! Great times! Just like chasing your tail if I had one! Oh and another 10 hours gone from my life! Maybe I just wanted a display piece like I have seen in shops with there ProRock display! I guess that is why we are all different! Be pretty boring if we all had the same jeeps eh!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually no, preheating will not have the same effect. Preheating will only allow the axle to bend more easily and evenly as it is welded. So if you are trying to achieve the banana look for an axle, preheating the tubes should help you accomplish this like a pro. However, placing an axle into a fixture, applying an ever so slight hydraulically positive bend into it before welding, will account for the natural drawing/shrinking of the tubes toward the truss they are being electrically glued to (see above 'banana' shaped axle for an example of axle tubes drawing toward the truss). The fixture and preload allows the housing and tubes to remain straight and true, but Wayoflife already pointed this out, so I guess I am piling on now :idontknow:

Well, this answer is kind of complicated, but here goes: In short, 'RACE TEAMS' tend to just go f'ing bat shit crazy when the green flag drops, emotions (and some other scientific medical shit) are involved and the instinct to win overrides the strength of most metals. So what is a 'RACE TEAM' to do in the epic constant battle of overall vehicle weight versus overall parts strength versus overall cost? 1) the team could build everything possible on the race car out of Inconel (see space shuttle, rocket surgery), but it would weigh 17 metric shit tonnes (I'm not british, but I don't know what type of weight standards Canadians use) and it would cost more than the USA's national debt to build. 2) you could be sensible and buy the best components your 'RACE TEAM' can afford, then you use things like a truss, which is going to add structure and rigidness to an already beefy race spec part, with little added weight (especially if you use a dimple die cutter to place high tech looking holes in the metal, which actually make the truss stronger too, all while saving weight)

For the average off roader, trusses are not so much a waste of money in my eyes, as they are little reward for the effort that it takes to install them on an already inferior component like stock axles......so I guess after reading this sentence a few times, I am really just saying they are a waste of money :thinking: If you are going to get all the labor of installing sleeves and trusses for free, than maybe it could be a temporary fix and a bargain at that. But in the end, did you make it stronger? Sure, but you have still not built a holistically strong axle, just fixed only one flaw (or two at best) in an inferior design of a stock part. Key word being- inferior...and design...and stock....and part. Keep this on the down low and all, but I happen to know a guy who owns a shop, he can install his mfg company's axle sleeves, C gussets and anyones truss you want, and make a boooaaattt load of cash on labor, or he can install any mfg.'s aftermarket axle for a lot less in labor on his part. Guess which solution he recommends; THE AXLES, every time! In fact he only recommends C gussets as an upgrade for strength on stock axles, as all the other stuff is a waste of money. Then again, the guy is one of the most honest and ethically sound business guys I have every met.

We can only hope that this thread answers the original poster's question and he can make an informed decision, and maybe learn from hundreds of guys who choose one direction, only to find that cheaper fix initially, was in the long run much more expensive. And in closing, please never, ever, EVER mention a CRJ and a Pro Rock 44 in the same thread again as though they are equals, as this is quite literally a slap in the face of anyone who is running a CRJ. Could you imagine if you owned a CRJ and someone continually made comments about how their PR44 was proudly assembled in the USA, made with metals only sourced from steel mills in the USA, offered more ground clearance than a stock Dana 44, was bolt-in compatible with a JK's electronics, was available with the correct amount of castor built in to it for most lift sizes, available with stock or after market wheel bolt patterns, dynaloc and stub hub kit, I could go on but it is just upsetting to CRJ owners. Just imagine how the CRJ owner would feel knowing all of that about the PR44? Doesn't feel too good does it......

Thank you for your time

GCM 2, Esquire

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

And where were you last night? :cheesy: :crazyeyes: :D

As always, you've stated it better than I could have :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And it always leads back to the same question at least for me it does anyway! Why does a dog chase his tail if he has one? Because HE CAN! Doesn't make me want to even if I had a tail to chase! Looks kind of cool at the time but ends up being a total waste of time!
Well I made the same mistake but it was for learning purposes. Rotated C's, RCV's and Artec truss but I am looking at it from a different angle. I PLAN on breaking it. I WILL NOT recommend stuff unless I have done it myself. That is why when Eddie and others on this forum I know have done this stuff adds great credence to there comments. I just hate to waste a good opportunity to learn! It would bug me if I skipped this step and always wondered HOW LONG! Besides it was a lot of fricken work! Been 20 years since I have flash burned, burned a hole in my arm from a piece of slag while trying to complete a weld and take a ball of slag down an ear because I didn't rotate my hat! Great times! Just like chasing your tail if I had one! Oh and another 10 hours gone from my life! Maybe I just wanted a display piece like I have seen in shops with there ProRock display!

Kudos to you. I meet and wheel with a lot of guys who are new to Jeeps and most of them aren't anything like you. Most are hoping to do as much as they can right the first time and because of it, most of what I recommend is directed toward them.

I guess that is why we are all different! Be pretty boring if we all had the same jeeps eh!

If that's how you see it, more power to you. Me, I'd rather have a Jeep that can reliably take me to the places I want to see and be than to have a Jeep that was different just to be different. I sure wish a lot of the stuff that's available today was around when I first got started and that there were people who could have saved me time and money I didn't need to spend even if it made my Jeep look like everyone else but hey, that's just me. :crazyeyes:

jims68

Ah Ha you took my gist wrong! How's that V8 running! I remember a short time back when you doubted the great Robbie and all his wisdom! I'm still tampering with the LS to get it the WAY I want it. Just saying there is ALLWAYS more then one way to skin a cat but there sure are a lot of the same color no? I ALLWAYS get a second opinion when it comes to my health and now my JEEP! May be just a reality check but then there are several billion of us on this giant rock!

Top Bottom