ATX Slabs: Lets see them!

FLKEYSJK

Does anyone know if it's safe to powder coat the rings? Just checking because I got a good deal on powder coating my rings and I've heard some people have problems when powder coating aluminum.

WJCO

Meme King
Does anyone know if it's safe to powder coat the rings? Just checking because I got a good deal on powder coating my rings and I've heard some people have problems when powder coating aluminum.

I don't know for sure, but I would consider the cost. Those things are going to get scratched up if you use the Jeep on rocky trails. A lot cheaper to deal with paint.

FLKEYSJK

I don't know for sure, but I would consider the cost. Those things are going to get scratched up if you use the Jeep on rocky trails. A lot cheaper to deal with paint.

Yeah I definitely see where you're coming from but over here in Florida there aren't a lot of rocky trails and none in the keys, they local guy that does a good job only wants $80 to do all 5.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yeah I definitely see where you're coming from but over here in Florida there aren't a lot of rocky trails and none in the keys, they local guy that does a good job only wants $80 to do all 5.

Since you are in FL, why waste your money on slabs at all? There are plenty of other wheels that will give you the look of a bead lock without costing so much.

FLKEYSJK

Since you are in FL, why waste your money on slabs at all? There are plenty of other wheels that will give you the look of a bead lock without costing so much.

Because I'm planning on joining the military and hope to be lucky enough to be stationed in some cool places to go rock crawling, also I just loved the way they look.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Because I'm planning on joining the military and hope to be lucky enough to be stationed in some cool places to go rock crawling, also I just loved the way they look.

I understand, I also really like the look of them. I still recommend sitting on your decision for a little while longer.

And WJCOs point on the powder coat is still valid since you are hoping to use them one day. Painting them would be a better option for maintaining them when you start wheeling on more rocks.

Good luck with your military endeavor.

FLKEYSJK

I understand, I also really like the look of them. I still recommend sitting on your decision for a little while longer.

And WJCOs point on the powder coat is still valid since you are hoping to use them one day. Painting them would be a better option for maintaining them when you start wheeling on more rocks.

Good luck with your military endeavor.

Thanks man, I'll decide over the next day or two, I tried to paint one of them today and I didn't like the way it came out, probably because I'm just bad at it.

Last edited:

MOOK

That is an absolutely gorgeous rig you have there! [emoji106]

^^ x2.....That's a sexy rig!!

Thanks guys! Late response, just seeing this

To the ones thinking of powder coating the rings. I have no personal experience with this but have heard of the tire having seating problems from the build up of paint on the backside of the ring. Personally have not tried it. I did spray paint mine myself, only on the visible side. Turned out great and no leak issues. Also makes for easy touch ups if necessary

FLKEYSJK

Thanks guys! Late response, just seeing this

To the ones thinking of powder coating the rings. I have no personal experience with this but have heard of the tire having seating problems from the build up of paint on the backside of the ring. Personally have not tried it. I did spray paint mine myself, only on the visible side. Turned out great and no leak issues. Also makes for easy touch ups if necessary

Thanks for the input, still trying to decide.

dillard09

I had my ring powdered when they were at ORE. They installed them and have yet to have any problems with leaking. I will have to figure out what to do with a touch up later.

ForumRunner_20160913_201045.jpg

dillard09

Do you know if they powder coated the whole ring or just the visible side? Nice rig btw

Thank you sir. To tell you the truth I'm not sure but I would I would think that they did the whole ring. I just had them done about 4 months ago. Im hoping to change tires soon so will see have to do some touch up then. I would try and look but not with my rig right now.

Top Bottom