Best coilover lift and axle choice?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks man it looks sweet! Would running 40's limit the amount of flex?

What size tires you run with this kit will not limit the amount of articulation it provides. Depending on where you have your height set at, you may find it necessary to do more trimming to prevent rubbing at a full flex.

If you ran the evo bolt on coil over kit with 14" shocks would you be closer to the dtd travel?

Let me rephrase that, evo bolt on coil over kit is designed around 12" shocks. 14" shocks probably won't fit.

What olram30 said.

Ok, i noticed that the kit doesn't come with any bump stops and axle limit straps. Are they needed with that kit?

Comes with bump stops and limit straps aren't needed.

Again, what olram30 said. You can run this kit with your factory bump stops. Limit straps aren't needed as the coil overs will limit your droop.

jeeper52

LOSER
What size tires you run with this kit will not limit the amount of articulation it provides. Depending on where you have your height set at, you may find it necessary to do more trimming to prevent rubbing at a full flex.

What olram30 said.

Again, what olram30 said. You can run this kit with your factory bump stops. Limit straps aren't needed as the coil overs will limit your droop.

Ok thanks! Since you have ran both kits how much more droop / articulation does the dtd kit with the lever system have over the bolt-on coil overs?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok thanks! Since you have ran both kits how much more droop / articulation does the dtd kit with the lever system have over the bolt-on coil overs?

2" up front and a bit more in the rear. And, before you ask, you cannot get anymore droop than what the DTD provides or else your drivelines will bind - this is why it comes with limiting straps. Also, I should note that there is no other coil over kit out there that allows you to run a lower stance than the DTD. The only other kit that comes close is the bolt-on kit.

jeeper52

LOSER
I know it doesn't mean much but does anyone have pictures of a jk with 37's or 40's with the dtd and lever on a rti ramp? Just curious is all.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I know it doesn't mean much but does anyone have pictures of a jk with 37's or 40's with the dtd and lever on a rti ramp? Just curious is all.

You can pretend this is a RTI ramp!

Attachments

• 1425351828709.jpg
    1425351828709.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 249

big dr

Ok,, I asked this on another thread,, but this one seems pretty active. Is there a reason no one is running the King IBP's? I wanted coil overs with a little bit of bypass performance and love what I ended up with. I'm wondering why EVO does not offer their bolt on CO kit with this upgrade. If Eddie, MTG, or any one with knowledge could chime in, I'd be interested in an educated opinion. thx:beer:

KenB1010

LOL!! You need to talk to someone who's installed complex GenRight products. Send KenB1010 a PM and let him tell you just how keyed into anything they are. I should note that he IS a fan of GenRight but will tell it to you straight. If you're worried about precision, I would recommend that you give the EVO bolt-on kit a look as it's a no brainer and a lot cheaper.

With a few edits, I PM'ed this response to Jeeper52. I feel that it has relevance to the group... so here goes.
Hi, I took a few minutes to read through the thread. To give you some background. While I haven't run with their suspension kit, I looked closely at it prior to installing my Full Traction long arm kit. I have used GenRight’s Aux fuel tank and their rear tire carrier on my 07 jeep. I'll probably also run these same GenRight parts on my 2014 unlimited.

That said while GenRight's engineering is great and it is race developed as Tony (GenRight's owner) races extensively. The attention to manufacturing detail and their installation instructions are not up to industry standards. If you have a good mechanical background you will be able to work through most of these issues. I installed their tire carrier and rear bumper, with 1-2 phone calls to GenRight I was able to get it installed. I needed to clearance the rear tail lights for it to fit. I found out later that the aluminum tubes warped some during manufacture causing the fitment issues. Aluminum is notoriously difficult to work and GenRight is one of the few companies that use it. GenRight installed their Aux fuel tank in my jeep and after reviewing the instructions and the installation including the electrical modifications. This is not an install I would want to do myself. Unless you can find a shop in CO that has experience with this install I wouldn't attempt it.

I've installed 2 long arm kits and while they are labor intensive, they are very doable by a home mechanic. Every long arm kit I've seen requires the factory brackets to be cut off. While I haven't installed one of Genright's suspension kits. I would expect that a good home mechanic that has installed at least one suspension kit would be able to figure it out.

My concerns with the suspension kit would be:
1. The installation instructions aren't detailed enough and you will need tech support from GenRight to get their kit installed correctly.
2. The accuracy needed in suspension installs in in the range of +- 1/32", do you feel comfortable doing a welded install with accuracy this close.
3. An installation error could result in a catastrophic failure that could result in death/injury to you, your family and others on the road. The installation needs to be done correctly.

In this thread there is allot of discussion about currie axles. I believe that GenRight uses Currie for most of their installs. Is that where your Currie info comes from? I ran PR60’s in my 07 jeep and will continue to run them in my 2014 jeep. I looked at curries for my 07, but there were some fitment issues that caused me to go Dynatrax. Not to sway you, but I’ll be going with an EVO suspension on my 2014 along with GenRights aux fuel tank and rear tire carrier.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
...along with GenRights aux fuel tank.

Are you really seriously still thinking about running the auxiliary tank? I did the math and that thing would weigh in at about 200 lbs. when full of gas and it'd all be hanging off the very back end of your Jeep and that's on top of the 175 lb. spare you'll most likely be carrying and the fridge and tools and gear you normally pack. Point being, all that extra weight right at that point can't be helping you when it comes to stability. Now that you have a 4-door with a bigger tank, I personally would recommend that you skip this mod. Please know that this is just me coming at you as a concerned friend.

KenB1010

Are you really seriously still thinking about running the auxiliary tank? I did the math and that thing would weigh in at about 200 lbs. when full of gas and it'd all be hanging off the very back end of your Jeep and that's on top of the 175 lb. spare you'll most likely be carrying and the fridge and tools and gear you normally pack. Point being, all that extra weight right at that point can't be helping you when it comes to stability. Now that you have a 4-door with a bigger tank, I personally would recommend that you skip this mod. Please know that this is just me coming at you as a concerned friend.

I don't know, Susan and I talked about this again last night. These are our thoughts.

Aux fuel tank
1. 40 gallons = 480 mile range that is a really nice number given the trips we take in our jeep.
2. 200 lbs at the very back of the jeep is a huge negative. We compensate for this by running the aux tank empty during trail rides (unless we need the range for desert expeditions stuff), also by running a light weight rear bumper and tire carrier.

Rot-pac 4 gallon tank
1. running a 4 gallon roto-pac brings us an additional 8 gallons over what we had in our 2 door. 8 gallons = (96 miles adding 96 miles of range over our previous 2door will almost always get us to a gas station)
2. Allows us to run with EVO bolt on rear coils or EVO lever for our rear suspension.

While I lean towards the Roto-pac because of the weight, my other half really likes the thought of 240miles of increased range. Thank you very much for your thoughts on this. I've always thought of my jeep as weight vs. performance, but as my wife gets more involved I realize that she sees thing a bit different. Go figure. ;)

jeeper52

LOSER
Alright after a ton of thought I decided on the double throwdown front and rear with lever system in the back and the evo high clearance long arm kit over the genright. As for the axles I am going with the ultimate dana 60's by spicer. I know its not a popular choice on here but after looking at them in person side by side to dynatrac i felt that they are a very well made axle and the savings will allow for ram assist, 1350 drive shafts and the evo high steer kit. Just thought i would give an update since so many of you replied to this thread.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I have been doing a lot of research on the Spicer 60's myself. Interested to see your thoughts and reviews after install. Looking forward to seeing the highsteer installed on then. :thumbup:

jeeper52

LOSER
Yeah im excited to see it when its all installed and ready to go! Just cant decide if im going to tackle the install or have a shop do it. Its not a dd so time isnt an issue. The instructions on the front and rear dtd and lever looks pretty clear and doable. The high clearance long arm kit is what is bothering me. To answer your question if your not running ram assist the high steer kit from evo should bolt up like it would on any stock axle. The front axle has the raised steering arm and raised track bar as well. With the ram assist i think im going to have to cut off the trackbar mount to account for the ram assist and skid.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Yeah im excited to see it when its all installed and ready to go! Just cant decide if im going to tackle the install or have a shop do it. Its not a dd so time isnt an issue. The instructions on the front and rear dtd and lever looks pretty clear and doable. The high clearance long arm kit is what is bother me. To answer your question if your not running ram assist the high steer kit from evo should bolt up like it would on any stock axle. The front axle has the raised steering arm and raised track bar as well. With the ram assist i think im going to have to cut off the trackbar mount to account for the ram assist and skid.

This is true but the Evo high steer needs both knuckles to be on top to be true highsteer. Then the ram will attach to the lower mount. Is it possible to do and tap the driver side knuckle? Are they a true flat top knuckle?

Top Bottom