Black Bear Pass... too much hype?

Basscat

I'd say the San Juan jeep trails in general are all about beauty and not so much difficulty. Things change quick when the weather gets bad and there's always someone who gets killed on a trail or hwy 550 but no real technical difficulty. That said it really is the Switzerland of America!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I'd say the San Juan jeep trails in general are all about beauty and not so much difficulty. Things change quick when the weather gets bad and there's always someone who gets killed on a trail or hwy 550 but no real technical difficulty. That said it really is the Switzerland of America!

True. They are not technically difficult, although they can still be dangerous. I spent 10 days there in my Jeep, last year. I can tell you, it's worth it for the beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Always someone that gets killed, huh?

MF3R

This is supposedly a photograph of Black Bear Pass. If so, it was once, really treacherous. It isn't now, but it is very beautiful, and if you are in the area, you should do it. You can get a badge for it, and several trails in the area, from the Jeep Badge of Honor program.

View attachment 226703

Damn that gave me the willies just looking at it

Judesign

Caught the Bug
We will be there in a few days (the 14th). Pretty sure black bear will be closed still but hopefully still plenty for us to see. Sucks that engineers pass was open until a rock slide closed it 'until further notice'. Owell. We can only get vacation at certain times so we had to jump on it.

Basscat

We will be there in a few days (the 14th). Pretty sure black bear will be closed still but hopefully still plenty for us to see. Sucks that engineers pass was open until a rock slide closed it 'until further notice'. Owell. We can only get vacation at certain times so we had to jump on it.

Go through Durango and Cortez then south toward Moab. Head into Canyon Lands National Park and run Elephant Hill out to Devils Kitchen for a hike!

Judesign

Caught the Bug
That's actually pretty close to the plan. We will be camping in the ouray area then onto Moab for four days then to zion for hiking. Hearing good stuff about elephant hill. Might have to add that in

Basscat

That's actually pretty close to the plan. We will be camping in the ouray area then onto Moab for four days then to zion for hiking. Hearing good stuff about elephant hill. Might have to add that in

You'll love it! Once you squeeze through to Hell's Kitchen and get to the camp sites the hikes (about 5 or 6 trails between 1.5 and 6 miles) are in the land that time forgot! It's crazy cool back there?

Top Bottom