Black Bear Pass... too much hype?

Basscat

Not trying to scare folks or blow a things out of proportion. Hwy 550 and the San Juan jeep trails are gorgeous! You just can't drive these and lose focus. No room for texting and screwing around. Drift just a foot or two and it's over, jeep trail or hwy.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepJeep75

I'll be the first to admit I'm far too terrified of heights to do this trail. I have trouble being on the second rung of a ladder. I get that it's iconic, and it's important but I couldn't trust myself to not freeze on the trail.

They do have guided tours you can take. The tours do all the trails up there in standard 4wd pickups with coveted beds for multi-row seating. At least go see the breath-taking scenery. [emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rlew0083

The trip down my break pedal went to the floor on the second hairpin scared the $%^& out of me! Other than that, piece a case. Have run it 4 or 5 times. Go slow and pay attention and you will be fine.

Sudz

I drove my '95 ZJ out from PA last Aug (2016) and did the Rubicon. I hit Moab, Black Bear Pass & Imogene Pass on the drive back east.
My mileage total for the round trip was 6127 miles. I did it over a two week period.

Black Bear Pass is a cake walk if you're experienced and not spooked by heights. Easy Peasy. Did Imogene in the pouring rain on the return ride to Ouray from Telluride. IMO, Black Bear Pass is over-hyped.

100_1946_zpsvesnwned.jpg

100_1950_zpsxxmpgdu8.jpg

100_1971_zpsag4ew5iz.jpg

100_1982_zpsamfjuaqe.jpg

100_2014_zpsactkrbfn.jpg

28678685034_abf4028038_o_zps6njirylp.jpg

29301049185_7d7775656c_o_zpswnyaiskw.jpg

Sudzgofirst_zpstnkwxqoo.jpg

SudzBB2_zpscd5wekq0.jpg

powerstation_zpsv8wegkjs.jpg

me turning at the end of a switchback on BB pass without a spotter and taking a picture at the same time :crazyeyes:
100_2022_zpsoeucvpec.jpg

100_2089_zpsgxg4vd3e.jpg

running Imogene, look closely and you can see the Black Bear switchbacks in the distance
100_2085_zpsiez8jvgv.jpg

just off the summit of Imogene
100_2095_zpsgww7qp3v.jpg

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
I drove my '95 ZJ out from PA last Aug (2016) and did the Rubicon. I hit Moab, Black Bear Pass & Imogene Pass on the drive back east.
My mileage total for the round trip was 6127 miles. I did it over a two week period.

Black Bear Pass is a cake walk if you're experienced and not spooked by heights. Easy Peasy. Did Imogene in the pouring rain on the return ride to Ouray from Telluride. IMO, Black Bear Pass is over-hyped.

100_1946_zpsvesnwned.jpg

100_1950_zpsxxmpgdu8.jpg

100_1971_zpsag4ew5iz.jpg

100_1982_zpsamfjuaqe.jpg

100_2014_zpsactkrbfn.jpg

SudzBB2_zpscd5wekq0.jpg

me turning at the end of a switchback on BB pass without a spotter and taking a picture at the same time :crazyeyes:
100_2022_zpsoeucvpec.jpg

100_2089_zpsgxg4vd3e.jpg

running Imogene, look closely and you can see the Black Bear switchbacks in the distance
100_2085_zpsiez8jvgv.jpg

100_2095_zpsgww7qp3v.jpg

nice shots indeed .... there on my list don't know yet I I will make it this year or next but I will make it for sure ....

Sudz

Awesome pics!
Thanks.

nice shots indeed .... there on my list don't know yet I will make it this year or next but I will make it for sure ....
def worth the trip. As far as the towns go, imo - Telluride seemed over priced and had a touristy feel to it, Ouray on the other hand, had a down-to-earth mountain town vibe going on. We overnighted in a cabin at the KOA Ouray. The couple who run the place actually moved out from Jackson, NJ years ago. Jackson is a mere 38 miles from where I live. Small world.

Downtown Main Street Ouray looking towards the Ouray Brewery.
OurayBrewery_zpsjp4ejd9u.jpg

Downtown Main Street Telluride looking towards Black Bear Pass.
maistreettelluride_zpshud2wdpq.jpg

btw, I almost didn't make it off the Rubicon :D
100_1614_zps3uzmn9ph.jpg

Basscat

Thanks.

def worth the trip. As far as the towns go, imo - Telluride seemed over priced and had a touristy feel to it, Ouray on the other hand, had a down-to-earth mountain town vibe going on. We overnighted in a cabin at the KOA Ouray. The couple who run the place actually moved out from Jackson, NJ years ago. Jackson is a mere 38 miles from where I live. Small world.

100_1614_zps3uzmn9ph.jpg

You definitely nailed the difference between Telluride and Ouray.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepJeep75

Absolutely agree with the differences stated about Ouray and Telluride. Wife and I are looking forward to tent camping at the KOA in Ouray this year. We've vacationed in that town many years and it's always a pleasure to come back to.

catahoula

Caught the Bug

100_1946_zpsvesnwned.jpg

100_1950_zpsxxmpgdu8.jpg

100_1971_zpsag4ew5iz.jpg

100_1982_zpsamfjuaqe.jpg

100_2014_zpsactkrbfn.jpg

SudzBB2_zpscd5wekq0.jpg

100_2022_zpsoeucvpec.jpg

100_2089_zpsgxg4vd3e.jpg

100_2085_zpsiez8jvgv.jpg

100_2095_zpsgww7qp3v.jpg
Sweet pics Sudz!

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

shipjim

We will be there in a few days (the 14th). Pretty sure black bear will be closed still but hopefully still plenty for us to see. Sucks that engineers pass was open until a rock slide closed it 'until further notice'. Owell. We can only get vacation at certain times so we had to jump on it.

You can take Cinnamon Pass to/from Lake City. Both go to the same places.
It's worth running for the views. It is one of the most picturesque trails in that area. Mineral Creek/Poughkeepsie Gulch, and Yankee Boy Basin, are next in order of beautiful scenery, IMO.

On the way to Yankee Boy...

View attachment 262477

jj

Judesign

Caught the Bug
You can take Cinnamon Pass to/from Lake City. Both go to the same places.

jj

Was glad to see it's open and apparently engineers and ophir are open now too. Just got done with a long 12 hours from San Antonio to Santa Fe and we will be heading out towards ouray early tomorrow. Looking forward to finally seeing it.

Brute

Hooked
Thanks.

100_1614_zps3uzmn9ph.jpg

I actually lived in Jackson NJ for four years when I was a kid & my dad worked for the DOD at Fort Dix...

Top Bottom