Build of my JKU

Hey Alan, have you thought about flipping your lower control arms so that the adjustment end is at the frame? Could take off both lowers, flip 180 deg and mount on opposite sides of Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
I forgot to asl Mel if he recommended that with the Evo ones. Adam said not to above.

Dude, I still can't believe you bent one of those on CliffHanger.

Sent from my SM-G996U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I forgot to asl Mel if he recommended that with the Evo ones. Adam said not to above.

Dude, I still can't believe you bent one of those on CliffHanger.

Not sure why EVO wouldn’t be ok with it. This is the way Core specifies installing them. Proven in Moab also!

Not sure why EVO wouldn’t be ok with it. This is the way Core specifies installing them. Proven in Moab also!

You have a good point and is a consideration.

If I had to guess it would be because mounting them adjustable end at the frame places the non-replaceable end in the way of the hits as well as making it more difficult to adjust them :twocents:

If I had to guess it would be because mounting them adjustable end at the frame places the non-replaceable end in the way of the hits as well as making it more difficult to adjust them :twocents:
Yeah was thinking the same. I'm gonna do what Mel said first and see if it clears. If not he also said drop the arms and grind bolts. I finally get to work on it tomorrow so hopefully I report back then. My goal is to have it sitting on tires Sunday.

Definitely gonna need JEReel to shorten drive shafts before I can drive it.

Last edited:

If you get in touch with him I would be really curious what he says. I still have mine so the adjuster is at the frame, been too swamped at work to spend any time putting them back. I can totally understand it on the back where the lower has more to do with adjusting the pinion angle, but the lower in the front isn't as much in play with setting the pinion/caster.

If you get in touch with him I would be really curious what he says. I still have mine so the adjuster is at the frame, been too swamped at work to spend any time putting them back. I can totally understand it on the back where the lower has more to do with adjusting the pinion angle, but the lower in the front isn't as much in play with setting the pinion/caster.
I did talk with Mel for about 10 minutes and that was the one thing I forgot to ask him and don't want to call him back and bug him. He gave me so much good advice I focused on that and didn't want to forget it so I forgot to ask a question about the a arm flip. I would like to know the answer as well after seeing that the Core 4x4 mount the opposite way.

I did the bump test last night got to make some minor adjustments so it is a pain in the ass having to drop the lower control arms every time but it is what it is.

My only concern like others have stated would be putting the non-replaceable end up front. If you trash break or smash that front Johnny Joint you can just replace it if you did that to the opposite end you would have to replace the whole arm.

Last edited:
I just walked out and snapped a few pics. Maybe I'm reading what you are putting down backwards. The adjustable end was at the axle side the whole time I've had the long arms. I literally switch them around Sunday night. FWIW, the rear lower has taken way harder hits at the frame (non adjustable) end, that the adjustable end inside the rockstar. I have the hi clearance mounts in my garage and cannot wait to get them on.
front lower axle.jpg

front lower at frame.jpg

I'm a horrible driver. :cheesy:

tank skid.jpg

That's awesome you got to talk with him that long. I had called to see if they had the brackets in stock. He sounded super busy.
Edit: I'll probably switch mine back the way they were at some point. Like what you are doing now, I just put in king bumps and was trying to find the absolute most uptravel and turn I could get after cutting out as much as I felt comfortable with. I have nemesis flares. Part of me wishes I had stuck with the stocks cut. The only thing I'm not absolutely sure of is if I could eek out any extra wheelbase. The spring gets pretty close to the front of the mount when it's stuffed. Even if I could push the axle forward anymore, it would be just fractions of an inch. After I set everything first time I put it on the alignment machine at work to get the caster dialed before I installed the psc.

Last edited:
I just walked out and snapped a few pics. Maybe I'm reading what you are putting down backwards. The adjustable end was at the axle side the whole time I've had the long arms. I literally switch them around Sunday night. FWIW, the rear lower has taken way harder hits at the frame (non adjustable) end, that the adjustable end inside the rockstar. I have the hi clearance mounts in my garage and cannot wait to get them on.
View attachment 360863

View attachment 360864

I'm a horrible driver. :cheesy:

View attachment 360865

That's awesome you got to talk with him that long. I had called to see if they had the brackets in stock. He sounded super busy.
Edit: I'll probably switch mine back the way they were at some point. Like what you are doing now, I just put in king bumps and was trying to find the absolute most uptravel and turn I could get after cutting out as much as I felt comfortable with. I have nemesis flares. Part of me wishes I had stuck with the stocks cut. The only thing I'm not absolutely sure of is if I could eek out any extra wheelbase. The spring gets pretty close to the front of the mount when it's stuffed. Even if I could push the axle forward anymore, it would be just fractions of an inch. After I set everything first time I put it on the alignment machine at work to get the caster dialed before I installed the psc.
It looks like you have the long arm kit. I have the short arm kit and the adjustable sleeve of mine bolts to the axle right now.

I like your idea of flipping them but only concern is the collar on the arm will take the brunt of the damage.

Last edited:
Long day with lots of interruptions but did manage to get some stuff done with the help of TheMistress.

New E cables in.

Front bump test done feeling pretty good about when it sits and 5 caster. Front track bar and dif are tight but good.

Put on the Evo Rockstars and shaved off the coilbucket on the rear.

Set up the new welder and picked up a C25 tank. Play for a while destroying scrap metal.

Plan for tomorrow is get the PSC ram on and rear axle completely installed.20210326_194835.jpg20210326_194845.jpgIMG_20210326_153003_074.jpeg

Did you have to get longer Hardware cuz I'm finding that the bolts just aren't long enough with the thickness of these brackets?

I used the stock bolts for the axle end on the control arms both front and rear. The hardware from evo for the front coilovers was a little short but would still thread on. I drove it for a couple of days but I ended up getting longer grade 8's from a local hardware store. After reading about the earlier problems with the UD's, I was pretty happy to see how thick the brackets are and how nice they were welded.
You working on the tabs on the axle for the psc yet?

I used the stock bolts for the axle end on the control arms both front and rear. The hardware from evo for the front coilovers was a little short but would still thread on. I drove it for a couple of days but I ended up getting longer grade 8's from a local hardware store. After reading about the earlier problems with the UD's, I was pretty happy to see how thick the brackets are and how nice they were welded.
You working on the tabs on the axle for the psc yet?
Yeah working on that today my buddy is coming over to help weld up and help me finalize the PSC.

My goal is to have everything installed today and hopefully on tires by tomorrow then I'll have to take the drive shafts in to get shortened.

Thanks for the help Kevin I went out and got longer Hardware.

Yeah working on that today my buddy is coming over to help weld up and help me finalize the PSC.

My goal is to have everything installed today and hopefully on tires by tomorrow then I'll have to take the drive shafts in to get shortened.

Thanks for the help Kevin I went out and got longer Hardware.

My pleasure. Can't wait to see more progress pics.

Top Bottom