California or Bust : An Epic Trek Across the California Emigrant Trail

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Cool, we'll be staying the night in Ely on Friday and will probably try making a stop over at Lehman Caves on the way over to Salina. We should be there late afternoon. We should hook up for diner for sure.

Glad to hear you will finally get a chance to check out the Caves. I haven't been through them since about '92. They truly are amazing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear you will finally get a chance to check out the Caves. I haven't been through them since about '92. They truly are amazing.

Yeah, ever since you told me about them, I've been looking for an excuse to go. Being that we'll be in the neck of the woods, I couldn't pass up the opportunity :yup:

90 min of cave exploring! Cool! It must be a tad larger than Mitchell Caverns. Lol!

LOL!! Oh yeah, just a bit larger. :crazyeyes:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Okay, just got off the phone with Lehman Caves and reserved a Grand Palace tour at 11 am. :thumb:

Make sure you look for this …
The apricot trees in front of the Lehman Caves Visitor Center in Great Basin National Park are over 100 years old! The trees are thought to have been planted by Absalom Lehman, discoverer of Lehman Caves. These historic fruit trees continue to produce today.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The apricot trees in front of the Lehman Caves Visitor Center in Great Basin National Park are over 100 years old! The trees are thought to have been planted by Absalom Lehman, discoverer of Lehman Caves. These historic fruit trees continue to produce today.

How cool is that! I take it you've been here before?

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
How cool is that! I take it you've been here before?

No, just all this conversation about this place I had to check it out online. Since plants are a big interest of mine that caught my eye. If I were going that would be something I would want to see.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No, just all this conversation about this place I had to check it out online. Since plants are a big interest of mine that caught my eye. If I were going that would be something I would want to see.

It's a bummer you guys can't join us for this. I was looking at the map to see how far out of the way it would be for you to come up and it'd be quite a bit.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I have some apricot trees in my front yard. About 10-15 years old. No history though. :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to imagine people cross terrain like this by wagon and more times than not, on foot!

main.php

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Too bad you're not coming further east in MO, you could check out Meramec Caverns, pretty neat place, not far from me. One of Jesse James' hideouts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Too bad you're not coming further east in MO, you could check out Meramec Caverns, pretty neat place, not far from me. One of Jesse James' hideouts.

That's definitely on my to do list too. It sucks because we've driven right past it a couple of times now over the last couple of years but couldn't make the stop. Well, I'm sure there will be a next time :yup:

Sharkey

Word Ninja

I believe the park also used to have a 5000 year old tree before it was cut down in the 60's.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
That's definitely on my to do list too. It sucks because we've driven right past it a couple of times now over the last couple of years but couldn't make the stop. Well, I'm sure there will be a next time :yup:

Figured you had passed it on your way back to Cali with Vengeance :yup: It's a neat tourist attraction, I was there so many times as a child, its lost it's WOW! They did build a zip line recently that crosses the Meramec river a couple of times. When you get a chance to visit the Caverns, let me know. :yup:

Top Bottom