CONCRETE ARROW QUEST : Search for Transcontinental Airway Beacons

GCM 2

I really enjoyed this thread, just found it fascinating for some reason. Kind of odd, but it is like you guys are archaeologist discovering 20th century ruins :thumb:

I'll be rolling thru Grants in the morning. If I can see it from the freeway I'll snap a pic for you:thumbup:

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

jason08JK

Great Stuff! I got into Jeepin' 30+ years ago to explore and it lead to all typesof trips and adventures. Great times and it continues! :clap2:

FM18

Great adventure! Just curious, what were the power sources for the beacons? I would love to come out and explore this part of the Country! Thanks again for sharing this trip with us! :)

SDG

Caught the Bug
Great pics, and looks like a fun little adventure! Very cool to see the old planes that used to follow these things, really puts things in perspective as to how things have changed over such a relatively short period of time.

Hammerman

THe Great Nevada Adventures

There is so much out in the Nevada, Some friends had spent many weekends exploring in the late70's and early 80's. if you have the time its a great adventure area. Thanks for the info and Pictures. The areas that you and Cindy are visiting are not on any map. A great place to get away from the crowds.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
Really cool part of history. Thanks for sharing the exploration. I guess there is a lot in wide open. Nevada that's not been affected by time:thumb:

JeepFan

Hooked
The Search Continues...

On a mission to search for more Airway Beacons we decided to head out to the Amboy Crater area Saturday to see what we could find. There were two locations we had in mind to check out and see what remains we might encounter.

Our first stop was in a small non existent town called Bagdad. Located along historic Route 66, east of Barstow and Ludlow and west of Amboy. The town was founded in 1883 when the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway line between Barstow and Needles was built.

Not much in the way of a town is still standing these days but, if you know where to look you can find the location of a beacon that once guided US postal service pilots in their journey to deliver the mail.

Here are a few pictures of what we found at N34.68348, -116.15137

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

Our second stop was at another long and forgotten ruins of a town called Cadiz Summit. Located on Route 66 about 20 miles east of Bagdad. Not much standing there but some foundations and walls of what looked like an auto service station. This was probably an important stop back in the day since it was sitting at the top of a steep grade I'm sure many motorist stopped to let their engines cool down during the hot summer months.

Here are a couple pictures of what we found at N34.58117, -115.87914

IMG_3260.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

Bonus pics from Amboy Crater. If you get a chance, this is a really cool place to check out.

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

It's a WAYALIFE!!!

Stay tuned for more of my insane quest to search for more airway beacons. :standing wave:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is so COOL that you guys got to get out there and find some beacon sites!! Love the pics and the rock art :clap2:

Thanks for posting up your finds. :thumb:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
So cool love all the pictures and exploring you do. I would love to come out and explore sometime with you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Nice thank you for sharing.. I need to get out more. I am missing life and history.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So cool love all the pictures and exploring you do. I would love to come out and explore sometime with you.

:cheesy: Well, so long as you understand that a lot of what we do is just driving around in the middle of nowhere and, more times than not, find nothing at all, we'd love to have you join us. :crazyeyes:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
:cheesy: Well, so long as you understand that a lot of what we do is just driving around in the middle of nowhere and, more times than not, find nothing at all, we'd love to have you join us. :crazyeyes:

That's the best part of exploring you never know what your going to find.:)

locrwln

That's the best part of exploring you never know what your going to find.:)

I know that feeling well, but even when you don't find anything, it's still a great day anytime you are out in the desert.

Jack

Army_Vet

Banned
Has anyone found any coordinates of these arrows on the east coast?

I have started looking too. there was a link in this thread that showed them all over the northeast.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202130970324553563885.0004e5b7a5774649883e8&dg=feature

so far i haven't had any luck actually finding one, but I got close yesterday, then the freezing rain made me turn back

http://surveymarks.planetzhanna.com/airway-beacons-list-eastern-u-s/

here is another good resource, click the beacon you want to go find and it will give you a history of surveys throughout the years... such as one around me, that was searched for in 2004, and it is says, No remnants of tower are found

Last edited:
Terrific trip Eddie! I was not aware of the beacons until now. While I have covered much of Nevada over the years, I have not had enough seat time north of Hwy 50. Looks like some great exploring up there. Thanks for the terrific trip report and photo's!!! GREAT stuff!

Top Bottom