CONCRETE ARROW QUEST : Search for Transcontinental Airway Beacons

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
Tony, nice continuation of the exploration. I always wondered what the town ofBagdad looked like having seen it on maps. Nice pic:thumb:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have started looking too. there was a link in this thread that showed them all over the northeast.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202130970324553563885.0004e5b7a5774649883e8&dg=feature

so far i haven't had any luck actually finding one, but I got close yesterday, then the freezing rain made me turn back

http://surveymarks.planetzhanna.com/airway-beacons-list-eastern-u-s/

here is another good resource, click the beacon you want to go find and it will give you a history of surveys throughout the years... such as one around me, that was searched for in 2004, and it is says, No remnants of tower are found

Thats awesome. Once the weather plays nice I might go out and try and find some myself!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone found any coordinates of these arrows on the east coast? I've been looking, but haven't been able to find any. :( Would love to go and try and find some.

I found this, but Im not sure if these are user input-ted or historical inputs.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=213732418950957933334.0004e1e9dedbfbfa2281f

I have started looking too. there was a link in this thread that showed them all over the northeast.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202130970324553563885.0004e5b7a5774649883e8&dg=feature

so far i haven't had any luck actually finding one, but I got close yesterday, then the freezing rain made me turn back

http://surveymarks.planetzhanna.com/airway-beacons-list-eastern-u-s/

here is another good resource, click the beacon you want to go find and it will give you a history of surveys throughout the years... such as one around me, that was searched for in 2004, and it is says, No remnants of tower are found

Finding these will be a lot harder back east being that so much of your land is developed and or covered with trees. Of the ones that may still exist, I might start looking at small airports as many of the towers are still in use today. If you do find any, please post them up as I would love to see what you find :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Terrific trip Eddie! I was not aware of the beacons until now. While I have covered much of Nevada over the years, I have not had enough seat time north of Hwy 50. Looks like some great exploring up there. Thanks for the terrific trip report and photo's!!! GREAT stuff!

Thanks! It is a long haul from Huntington Beach to get up here so I can imagine it would be hard to get much seat time in this area. I think you would love it though :yup:

Army_Vet

Banned
Finding these will be a lot harder back east being that so much of your land is developed and or covered with trees. Of the ones that may still exist, I might start looking at small airports as many of the towers are still in use today. If you do find any, please post them up as I would love to see what you find :thumb:

Yes tell me about it. The one I was after yesterday was at the end of a road named Beacon Hill. The Google map looked promising too. But weather was bad. A few others in the area are right next to small airports. I have not given up hope yet

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Yup, I highly doubt I would be able to get my Jeep near one, but I guess a bit of a hike is in order.

Osobear

Really enjoyed the history lesson and your great pictures. Hope to do some exploring in our new Rubicon and posting some pictures of or own.

Damtall55

Pennsylvania Side

Eddie,

I loved the read and the pictures were fantastic!! I have family spread out all over Pennsylvania (from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh). In the case that I find one of these towers, and believe me, I will do some research to see if any are in the area, I will post some pictures from the East side of the Country.

Thanks again for posting!!

Big Mike
Springfield, Virginia

Damtall55

That is so cool!! What I want to know is how in the hell do you find time to do research like this, run your websites, wheel, build, etc., etc., etc.? Do you have a great staff or do the twins from Men In Black keep you on Centaurian time, a standard thirty-seven hour day?!? :cheesy:

Big Mike

Moochie

Found this link to the Grants Beacon. It looks like they've even got one of the gasoline generators. I'm travelling by there at the end of the month and hope I'll have the time to check it out. BTW, it appears Nevada has a more respectful class of vandal than California.:yup:
http://www.cibolahistory.org/aviation-heritage-museum.html

This is a great link. I will have to stop and check this museum out, next time in the area.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
On our way back to Phoenix from Denver we stopped at the Grants-Milan Airport Mid-Continent beacon and arrow a couple of hundred yards off I-40 (exits 79 or 81). We were disappointed to find it's a recreation but happily has original equipment displays. The beacon Cindy and Eddie found in Nevada is truly outstanding 'cause it's the real thing after nearly 100 years. Bravo!!
History of the display
Grants-Milan Museum.jpg
Arrow and beacon powerhouse
Mid-Continental Arrow.jpg
Beaon Generator. Kohler Automatic Model "D" rated at 1500 watts @ 1K RPM. This puppy was a 4 cyl., 8 hp. with a 2" bore and 3" stroke, circa 1929. This one was found on line and purchased for the museum. The Museum is only open Saturday 9-1 so I had to take this shot thorough a screen.
Beacon Generator.jpg
The Beacon and Powerhouse. At the rear is the 55gal fuel supply.
Mid-Continental Beacon.jpg

Attachments

• Beacon Line.jpg
    Beacon Line.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
The beacon line across New Mexico. Beacon # 69 is located about 150 yards north of I-40 an Prewitt Junction. The arrow still exists. Road trip!!
Beacon Line.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom