Denver, CO Mile High Meetup Thread

ravenmad

snow wheeling. mmmmm

I broke every rule in the book and went by myself... and got stuck... Proof that 40s and a Hemi have there limitations just like everything else. I have to leave town on the 6th. I would be game for something before then though...

image1-1.jpg

GraniteCrystal

I broke every rule in the book and went by myself... and got stuck... Proof that 40s and a Hemi have there limitations just like everything else. I have to leave town on the 6th. I would be game for something before then though...

View attachment 236457
Ha. Truly the end of the road. Shoveled your way out?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

ravenmad

Ha. Truly the end of the road. Shoveled your way out?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

YES... Took me almost an hour. Dropped to 4 PSI. - shoveled - winched to the right side were the snow was not so deep - and listened to by better half ask me if I had brought food and shelter to spend the night......... I did, and we did not. LOLOL The trail is the loop that goes from Old Stage road at the lake past the top of Eagle Rock through several meadows. I actually thought it would be a fast trip since I live in Cascade.... WRONG

WJCO

Meme King
YES... Took me almost an hour. Dropped to 4 PSI. - shoveled - winched to the right side were the snow was not so deep - and listened to by better half ask me if I had brought food and shelter to spend the night......... I did, and we did not. LOLOL The trail is the loop that goes from Old Stage road at the lake past the top of Eagle Rock through several meadows. I actually thought it would be a fast trip since I live in Cascade.... WRONG

Glad you made it out and didn't have to spend the night. FYI, something we keep in both vehicles, FEMA water double wrapped in additional Mylar bags and wrapped in fleece to keep from puncturing. And 3600 calorie survival wafers (I think the shelf life is like 5 years). Both of these items are deep in the duffel bag of supplies out of heat and out of light.

Mainstay food bar.jpg

wa0003-datrex-water-pouch_base.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Do you have to add water to that?

Nope, they're just a few disposable pouches that have a decent shelf life. You just throw away the wrapper when you're done with them. I actually should probably switch them out in the next year or two. We also have a couple water filters in each vehicle.

WJCO

Meme King
Where can one get those at? On second thought in COS there is a army surplus store. I bet they got some there.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I got mine on ebay I believe, but make sure the seller has good ratings and that the product still has a lot of shelf life left. Make sure you can read the date on the package or confirm it in the seller's description. I would think that an army surplus would have it as well.

Vanv39

Glad you made it out and didn't have to spend the night. FYI, something we keep in both vehicles, FEMA water double wrapped in additional Mylar bags and wrapped in fleece to keep from puncturing. And 3600 calorie survival wafers (I think the shelf life is like 5 years). Both of these items are deep in the duffel bag of supplies out of heat and out of light.

View attachment 236496

View attachment 236497

Definitely going to get some of these! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Definitely going to get some of these! Thank you!

The first place I heard about the lemon wafers was a survival shop down on Broadway, Farris Survival if they're still there. They had some that were 2 years passed the shelf expiration open on the counter for samples just for testing. Tasted completely fine. So for a high-calorie compact food, it was well worth buying for the 'just in case' scenario.

Vanv39

The first place I heard about the lemon wafers was a survival shop down on Broadway, Farris Survival if they're still there. They had some that were 2 years passed the shelf expiration open on the counter for samples just for testing. Tasted completely fine. So for a high-calorie compact food, it was well worth buying for the 'just in case' scenario.

Nice. When I get back next week I will swing over there and see if they are still there.

ravenmad

food and water

This is a good point you guys bring up. Food and Water. I am a bit of a pack rat for sure. I go out to the West Coast a couple times a year to teach classes on Survival in Austere and Denied Environments (which probably breeds a bit of overconfidence). You would, or would not be surprised how many people are absolutely not prepared for the most basic of difficulties. I remember a few years ago (like 12) a family tried to take a shortcut over a mountain pass in Oregon, got stuck in the snow and they found them 2 weeks later. Lost, the husband died 2 miles from the family car looking for help. The wife and 2 children died of hypothermia. Crazy... Last year we taught a class with a small group of guys, driving from one point to another we simulated a breakdown in a remote location and remained in the mountains for 4 days. All they had was what they had packed for "class" and their rental car. Anyways, Food, Water, Map, A way to start a fire, and some common sense will go a long ways...

I keep the basics in my jeep "All The Time"

Food
Water - Purifier
Medical
Security
Shelter
Tools
Fluids

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Where can one get those at? On second thought in COS there is a army surplus store. I bet they got some there.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

https://www.amazon.com/Datrex-Emerg...qid=1483316034&sr=8-3&keywords=survival+water

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Fo...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FAE7HKYQ3798WY367T0V

I do need to get better at bringing emergency food with me.

Although for water, personally, I always go out with 2 fresh filled 32 oz nalgene bottles with a filter and iodine tablets.

Top Bottom